• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd stations on station departure sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
I think around 1980 they changed the departure posters on stations to not list departures chronologically, but to have an alphabetical list of stations and times of trains to them
But some of the stations listed were a bit odd.
Lancaster has, for some reason, Lympstone Commando.
And quite a few had Moskva Beylaruska.

Anyone remember any other odd ones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Was this a one-time "direct" working, presumably intended for on leave service personnel?

StephenHunter

Established Member
I think around 1980 they changed the departure posters on stations to not list departures chronologically, but to have an alphabetical list of stations and times of trains to them
And quite a few had Moskva Beylaruska.

Moskva Beylaruska was via Hoek van Holland or Oostende. From those on some days of the week, there was a through SZD (Soviet Railways) sleeper to Moskva Beylaruska via Berlin and Warsawa. You needed three visas to do the trip mind (GDR double transit visa, Poland transit visa and Soviet visa).

Veteran Member
Was this a one-time "direct" working, presumably intended for on leave service personnel?
Never been a direct train - but Lancashire generally has always been a fertile recruiting ground for the armed services. The barracks is at Preston, but ceremonially there's a strong connection with Lancaster.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Never been a direct train...
Interesting! That kind of then begs the question as to how often these (A-Z) lists of stations/train times include details of places that aren't ever served directly.

davetheguard

Established Member
Back in the late 70s or early 80s Modern Railways columnist Alan Williams did an article on the idiosyncrasies of the A to Z departure posters at -I think- Lancaster; it was such good fun that I still remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.