• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old and new bashing trips by Cowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
As usual great reads again Cowley. Some good traction was had there. Particularly jealous of the choppers, wether one needed a lot of swearing and hammering to it or not. 33108 at the SVR, has really whetted the appetite for more Crompton haulage, in the future too. Didn't have many 26's in the bank for haulage, a 26 for haulage is a looonngg waaaay overdue. Bet 30yrs ago, you never ever thought, you'd be choking on the fumes of a McRat, heading towards Minehead.

Gotta agree, that stretch of the line past Grange over Sands is quite stunning, even better when you've got a 37 grunting it's guts out up front. I'm not overly keen on units, being old school, seeing units replace loco hauled workings, still kinda rankles, I should move on really :oops: however, it's no secret of my fondness for 156's. The 185's are ok but I'm not exactly a huge fan either. I called into Newcastle Central about a week ago after work and actually heard a crank refer to one as a Beast:roll:. I shook my head in disbelief, I thought, if you think that's a beast, wait till the 68's are heading some of the TPE turns, he'll literally froth himself to death.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yet another excellent write up there Mr C, a thoroughly enjoyable read. Seriously though those Morecambe Bay tides are notorious for the speed at which they can come in and catch you unaware, your a much braver soul than I!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yet another excellent write up there Mr C, a thoroughly enjoyable read. Seriously though those Morecambe Bay tides are notorious for the speed at which they can come in and catch you unaware, your a much braver soul than I!

Thanks Mr Bridge. I didn't look that brave peering out of the door in the wee small hours like a meerkat wondering if we were going to float away (if we had done though I would've liked a memorial bench on the spot that said on a plaque 'he did it for the thrash').

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the comments chaps.

Tech, 185112 is probably overrated anyway. ;)

FQ, you're right it was annoying, especially as I pride myself in finding really beautiful places to camp for free. It was still beautiful, just a bit edgy though.

47403, thanks mate. It is a bit surreal having a 26 through Somerset. But not as surreal as having a 37 at a decent speed on jointed track with semaphores in 2017. Bonkers.

Oerlikon

Wonderful trip to Morcambe mate! Glad you're still afloat! Seeing as you've already got an excuse to go again, make sure you go on the Ravenglass & Eskdale line. Towards autumn, quieter then and colour on the trees. Last time I was there, the guard had a Cumberland type sheepdog assisting. The dog rounded up the passengers into each carriage. Average dwell time at stations about 5 seconds!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wonderful trip to Morcambe mate! Glad you're still afloat! Seeing as you've already got an excuse to go again, make sure you go on the Ravenglass & Eskdale line. Towards autumn, quieter then and colour on the trees. Last time I was there, the guard had a Cumberland type sheepdog assisting. The dog rounded up the passengers into each carriage. Average dwell time at stations about 5 seconds!

Haha. Yes I will do that line at some point. I saw it when we went past and thought ah there's something else I need to do...

AJM580

If I have one slight grumble it would be that when the railway has diesels during galas they are often driven in a very reserved way and although these lines have a 25mph speed limit it is still possible to 'play to the crowd' a little - pay a visit to the Great Central or Severn Valley on a gala day if you want to see how it's done.

A great read as always. If you wish for some proper thrash, get yourself off to the MNR or NNR. The start out of Weybourne up Kelling Bank on the NNR is always worth a bash, and the MNR also seem to like to give locos a good work-out up Danemoor Bank

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A great read as always. If you wish for some proper thrash, get yourself off to the MNR or NNR. The start out of Weybourne up Kelling Bank on the NNR is always worth a bash, and the MNR also seem to like to give locos a good work-out up Danemoor Bank

I'd really like to get over there at some point. I need both railways and I'd like to do a 37 to Yarmouth. Any idea how long the 37s are likely to last for?
Thanks for the comments by the way.

I'd really like to get over there at some point. I need both railways and I'd like to do a 37 to Yarmouth. Any idea how long the 37s are likely to last for?
Thanks for the comments by the way.

Couple years yet. Depends if DRS manage to get some sort of availability worth talking about from the fleet

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suppose it was pretty good back then really.

Slightly inspired by Techs recent evening bash I had a look through my remaining old books to see if I had any post work bashes that might be worth sharing. Unfortunately I did most of my Devon Evening Rangers in 1989 and I lost my 1987/88/89 books many years ago (I feel some of your pain LSG).
1988 was one hell of a year, we had 31s and 33s on Exeter to Paignton locals plus Barnstaple trains on Saturdays, NB Tinsley 47s booked on summer extras (actually rostered!), 33s/47s/50s on Waterloo/Brighton - Exeters. Peaks still occasionally turning up if they made it past Bristol and also pairs of 31s on WCML mk3s 'borrowed' for summer Saturday extra services, oh and that's not even taking into account the 'normal' Paddington/Manchester/Liverpool/Glasgow etc - West Country services that we took for granted.
I've still got a 1990 Platform 5 book where thankfully I'd highlighted the locos I'd had in 1988 and also I've still got the records of the Brush I'd had during 1988, wish I still had my moves book though, it would be gold now. There was one Saturday in 1988 that I remember having Generator 47406, two pairs of 31/4s plus at least 2 NB 47s. I turned down 45121 that day too.
Imagine a day like that now?

I've digressed.
Of course by the very nature of things we all wish we'd been around just a few years before we'd actually started bashing after hearing the stories from those that were a little older than ourselves but hey, I didn't do too bad looking back now.

So not much in the way of Evening Rangers to report and actually when I looked at my old books most of my days out were on Saturdays, so I'll share a few from 1990/91 with you if you don't mind?
Oh you don't? Brilliant :lol:.

Three day Devon Rover day one 29/12/90.

We'll start with this.
This was a Rover during the couple of days off I had around Christmas that year. I was working in an HGV garage as an apprentice at the time - hard graft. Kids these days dunno they're born mutter mutter etc...

The moves:

47846 Exeter - Plymouth on the down sleepers from Glasgow (remember them?) 1V38.
47809 Plymouth - Tiverton Parkway (0716 Penzance - Glasgow 1S71, a very handy early morning loco hauled service that you could pick up at various different places).
An HST from Tivvy to Newton (yeah we called em trams too) for...
47579 resplendent (and preserved now) in revised NSE livery on the 0958 Truro (I know, strange) - Paddington which was taken to Exeter.
We then (there were a few of us out by now and I can still remember us hanging out that day, funny how it comes back) took 47832 'Mayflower' down to Plymouth on an ex Manchester service for:
47822 all the way up to Bristol Parkway on the 15:44 Plymouth to Derby (1M38), and those of us on a Devon Rover would have got away with it too if it wasn't for the couple of older bashers in the compartment next to ours on the return behind 47848 (11:58 Edinburgh - Plymouth) that basically dobbed us in subtley when they knew we were on Devon Rovers and not South West Rovers, we were duly chinged up for singles between Bristol and Taunton although thankfully not fined due to the relaxed nature of things back in those days (that was the evenings chip money gone though). I haven't forgotten this episode though even after all these years and those bashers better hope I don't catch up with them as I'm bigger than them now. <D

Hm, perhaps I should let that go?

Once we'd got back to Exeter it was time to plan the next move (not to Bristol though :roll:).
We pulled into Exeter and glanced across to view what we expected to be a 50 ticking away in platform 1 waiting with the 20:32 Exeter to Basingstoke.

I'm going to post this now actually for fear of losing it as I'm doing this on my mobile, I'll finish it in a few minutes when I've been to the bog...

That's better...
What was actually sitting at the head of 8 NSE liveried mk2s was 33002 (a departmental supposedly 60mph restricted machine), time to bale...
A few weeks before I'd met a chap who was an avid 33 basher and who worked for BR, he was ever such a nice guy and he'd organised a couple of railtours featuring 33s including one that featured triple headed 33s in railfreight livery to somewhere but I can't remember where now unfortunately. We got on really well and had a great time chatting away during the journey. We topped Honiton bank and I watched him peering into the darkness as 33002 blazed down the other side towards the long closed daytime landmark of Seaton Junction, him trying to read the mileposts with his stopwatch and we knew something was on. He turned round to us after checking his calculations a couple of times - "93mph!" He said, his eyebrows heading right off the top of his forehead :lol:.
Edit - You find yourself doubting what you actually remember sometimes, 27 years after the actual event etc, but I remember us all cheering at the fact that 33002 had headed well past it's nominal 85mph upper limit and not just a bit past but it had smashed it. Very exhilarating and it was absolutely pounding along trying to keep time and not mess the timetable up.
This driver was clearly not taking the fact that he was on a lower powered loco lying down. It was immense and I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

Our group bailed at Crewkerne to get the 19:15 Waterloo - Exeter back (we didn't fancy chancing Yeovil Junction on the last train of the day, there was potential to get stuck there for the night and we'd already gone past our Devon Rover Axminster limit).
The 19:15 rolled in behind 50027 Lion and it's fair to say that my friends weren't too keen on 50s although I had a bit of a soft spot for them I must say (the love that dare not speak its name ;)). The 50 did what a 50 does and thumped its way back to Exeter through the dark at great speed.
Once back at Exeter it would have been a first generation 101 or 108 unit probably, home to Topsham in the dead of night, probably behind the driver with the windows open because well, you had to... :)

1) The photo below is not mine. It was taken by Anton Kendal but shows a typical scene from around then after a 47 or 50 had probably given up somewhere. Nothing like a 33 trying to keep to 100mph 47/7 or 50 timings...

2) This one is mine. 33002 at Buckfastleigh in original green and stabled with 37275. I'm very lucky in that my favourite 33 (002) is still in Devon, while my favourite 37 (142) and 50 (042 Triumph) are not only preserved but local too and based at Bodmin. I couldn't ask for more really. Unfortunately my favourite 47 (521) has long since been turned into teaspoons, so I've switched allegiance to, amongst others, 47580 (hope you read this AJM580).

Attachments

• IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Blimey Mr C, this is just like watching a programme on ITV with its commercial breaks, the only difference being yours is a bog break...just when it gets really interesting!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blimey Mr C, this is just like watching a programme on ITV with its commercial breaks, the only difference being yours is a bog break...just when it gets really interesting!

:lol:
Sorry about that.
Take two bottles into the shower? Not me. I just wash and go.

That was me Barry Bethal before I did the Slimfast diet

Finished now Mr Bridge. ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enjoyed coming from work to this, I always have a sit down and a cuppa for half an hour after and something to read always appreciated. Oh to turn the clock back to those days!

Thanks BT much appreciated. I've been listening to quite a bit of science stuff recently on the radio and apparently time machines are a bit of a no no.
I'd love to go back to that day though...

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Well, you kept us waiting a long time there Mr Cowley (so long that I couldn't keep awake) but I have to admit it was well worth the wait, great stuff! Keep them coming :D

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Shame about getting charged for the Bristol-Taunton leg - those other bashers sound like total prats. Oh how I'd love it if everything was like that nowadays...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shame about getting charged for the Bristol-Taunton leg - those other bashers sound like total prats. Oh how I'd love it if everything was like that nowadays...

They were indeed but thinking back now the guard knew one of them, who I reckon must have also been a guard maybe?
It was a good time but you could sense it wasn't going to be for ever. I notice that I'd written all the original numbers next to the 47/8 numbers because I still hadn't forgiven them for renumbering all those 47/4s...;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, you kept us waiting a long time there Mr Cowley (so long that I couldn't keep awake) but I have to admit it was well worth the wait, great stuff! Keep them coming :D

Thanks Mr Bridge. Sorry about the delay but I had to open a new bottle of wine as well.
Glad you enjoyed it and speaking about wishing you'd been out on trains a few years before, I wouldn't mind hearing some of your stories some day?
Front compartment behind a Western up the Berks & Hants would be a great place to start... :)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Oh how I'd love to have been around then. A lovely read as I'm sat waiting for my flight home to Blighty!

Oh well, it'll only be a month or so until I invade Devon myself, hopefully with bonus sunshine.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh how I'd love to have been around then. A lovely read as I'm sat waiting for my flight home to Blighty!

Oh well, it'll only be a month or so until I invade Devon myself, hopefully with bonus sunshine.

Thanks very much for that. I guessed Tenerife, was I right?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks Mr Bridge. Sorry about the delay but I had to open a new bottle of wine as well.
Glad you enjoyed it and speaking about wishing you'd been out on trains a few years before, I wouldn't mind hearing some of your stories some day?
Front compartment behind a Western up the Berks & Hants would be a great place to start... :)

One day I might pluck up the courage to write a past trip report Mr C, the trouble is I don't consider my writing talents to be in the same league as yours and some of the other legends on here, anyway maybe one day! btw would a cab ride on 50014 from Penzance to Truro on 11th June 1975 be suitable material for a future report?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Devon Rover day two

The next instalment then. This was a three day rover and during this time I had to pick my days well. I seem to recall that I had to do family stuff on the Sunday and I chose not to go out that day, I'm not sure how it works now, but back then you had to circle the days on the ticket yourself that you'd used.
Needless to say every trick in the book was tried from not circling any of the days in the hope that the ticket guy wouldn't notice if you flashed it at him quickly enough to circling the day in pencil and then carefully rubbing it out when you got home thus stretching your three day ticket into as many days as you could possibly get away with...
I had another problem though. The HGV garage I worked in (British Road Services) were strict in the way that they wouldn't give you even a day off for the first year of working for them (apart from Saturday afternoons and Sundays), in fact they were gits at times - I was three minutes late one morning and they gave me such a dressing down that you'd think I'd written the boss's car off!
I worked 8am - 6pm Monday - Friday and 8:30 - 1 on a Saturday for a pittance really and it was filthy hard work too. I remember trying to change an air suspension bag under a meat lorry in a filthy farmyard somewhere once with my mate Ron and we had blood dripping through the floor of the trailer into our hair. Absolutely disgusting...

Despite all this I have some great memories of that time and a couple of wonderful friends from then too.
I was allowed to drive Scania and Volvo trucks around our massive yard and could reverse an artic over an inspection pit through the garage door before I'd even passed my driving test.
Best of all though, the yard was in Marsh Barton and right next to the mainline just south of Exeter St Thomas so I got to see trains going by all day long. :)

Anyway I seem to have gone off on a tangent again, back to the trains. :lol:

Monday 31/12/1990 Mule Meltdown!

It was all going wrong today. The paying passengers loss was very much our gain.
I remember this day so well, the class 50 fleet was suffering from one of its worst periods of availability in the last ten years. God they were bad, one of the lads 'Derek' had got a TOPS report (he wasn't really called Derek it's just that he looked like Derek Randell the cricketer and the nickname had stuck). On TOPS virtually all of the Laira 50s were shown as stopped with various problems, around the south west generally but mainly at Plymouth from what I remember. I think the cold weather probably wasn't helping either. There were still a couple out but literally only a couple.
Anything that could be sent out on the Waterloo route was sent out (had to be ETH locos though due to it being winter) and things were going wrong all over the place with stuff passing in the wrong places due to the single line sections etc.

Here's the days moves then:

I started off with a first gen DMU from Topsham to St David's.
Then a Sprinter from St David's to Teignmouth. I don't know what this would have been because I didn't record units (what was I thinking? Idiot), I wonder if this would have been something like a 155 on a Cardiff - Penzance service maybe?

47840 first then from Teignmouth to Exeter (08:45 Plymouth - Liverpool) I have a feeling that this was an extra holiday relief service, unusual for a loco hauled train to stop at Teignmouth in winter and it's ringing a bell for me somewhere.
47801 then to Tiverton Parkway on a Glasgow service.

An unrecorded HST back to Exeter then for a think about what to do next.
Obviously not much going on, so another HST was taken down to Newton Abbot to pick up:
47848 Newton Abbot - Exeter St David's (12:13 Plymouth - Manchester 1M56). By now it was looking like Platform 1 at St David's was the place to be, so we mosied on over the footbridge to catch a pretty unusual (for The Mule):
47809 on the 14:22 Exeter - Waterloo, noting 47813 spare on Exeter shed (also quite unusual as all 47/8s were normally out on passenger services).

47809 got us under way and from what I remember wasn't doing that well on the climb up the 1 in 37, as we pulled to a halt in Central I think 809 shut down and had to be restarted. We got going again and made it as far as Pinhoe before it shut down again, this time terminally though.
The driver went off to phone the Coastguard, RAC, Control or The Samaritans (depending on how the day was going), 47813 was duly summoned from EX and appeared after about 40 minutes, running past us and reversing back onto 47809.
During this time another service had been due to pass us but was also delayed and passed us behind 33116 fairly late (a 50 had expired somewhere near Salisbury if I remember correctly), this was a nice turn up.

Off we went again, this time making it to Axminster behind our pretend Brush double header. By now we had entirely shafted the timetable and some trains were running an hour late at least.
The 13:15 Waterloo - Exeter was also running late due to the knock on effect and I think we knew what was on it - 33101, very nice. Plenty of 8 cylinder Sulzer thrash back to Exeter including the storming of Honiton Bank with 8 on. Marvellous :p.
When we got back to Exeter it was a quick trip over the footbridge again to get the front seats behind 33116 back up to Honiton. Things were running pretty late by now and may have been over an hour out at least.
33116 was supposedly on the 17:37 Exeter - Waterloo (1O something or other), we went to the chippy in Honiton and the plan was to do a 47 back but something else had gone wrong and after we'd eaten we realised that we could get further up the line to pick it up.
We took possibly the only 50 out that evening, the very smokey 50033 'Glorious Network Southeast' ;) from Honiton to Axminster and waited on the cold dark platform as the 50 dubbed away into the distance (pre the redoubling through the station trains passed in a loop between Axminster and Crewkerne).
A little while later 47490 'Bristol Bath Road' in original Intercity livery rolled in to take us back to Exeter, my last locomotive of 1990...

All that remained was the obligatory 101 or 108 unit back to Topsham and a pre mobile phone search for my 'normal' mates who I'd have had no chance of getting across to what an absolutely hellfire day I'd just had ("what is this word Hellfire"?).
Ah well. :lol:

I'm going to illustrate this with a couple of photos from Roger Siviters 'Waterloo West' book as they sum up that time very well. I hope he doesn't mind but I did buy the thing (and others).
He knows where I am if he's not happy (No 1, Cowley) ...

1) 33102 coasting past the heavily graffitied signal box at Exeter Central with - 'That Aircon' in the consist - a real feature of one of the sets at that time.
A classic southern scene, long gone unfortunately.

2) 50033 at Chard Junction in August 1991 on the 1105 Exeter - Waterloo.
Note three things - The state of the grills on the loco, some open and some not.
The way they'd positioned the nameplate. Someone had a sense of humour...
The state of the basher giving it the flail and no doubt pleased as punch when he realised that he had a photographer to annoy. :lol:

3) 33109 leaving Axminster on full power and looking smart in departmental grey. The 33s had to be worked pretty damn hard to keep to 47/7 or 50 timings, bearing in mind that they had 1150hp (about a class 26s worth) less power than a 50 on a taxing route with lots of single line sections...

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One day I might pluck up the courage to write a past trip report Mr C, the trouble is I don't consider my writing talents to be in the same league as yours and some of the other legends on here, anyway maybe one day! btw would a cab ride on 50014 from Penzance to Truro on 11th June 1975 be suitable material for a future report?

Well what do you think!? :lol:
Honestly you must have had some good way of talking to those drivers. "I'm just a poor holiday maker from the North, I don't even like trains that much, a cab ride you say? Well I've got a spare hour I suppose I could..." ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thoroughly enjoyable read there Cowley! Bring on day 3, the racket from those 33s has sure got the imagination going well! <D

A rover like that these days would come in two parts. The main part and a seperate part with boxes on them. Basically you fill them in with the day and month before travel, failure to do so can result in the guard/RPI crossing them out and you effectively losing a day. I came close to that once, wouldn't risk that again! Easier to show you the ticket but I'm sure you can get the gist.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thoroughly enjoyable read there Cowley! Bring on day 3, the racket from those 33s has sure got the imagination going well! <D

A rover like that these days would come in two parts. The main part and a seperate part with boxes on them. Basically you fill them in with the day and month before travel, failure to do so can result in the guard/RPI crossing them out and you effectively losing a day. I came close to that once, wouldn't risk that again! Easier to show you the ticket but I'm sure you can get the gist.

Ah thanks for filling in the details there Tech. Unsurprising that they've tightened it up I suppose.
I'll do day three at some point but to tell you the truth days one and two were by far the best due to having to work the rest of the week.
I enjoyed remembering it all, at least the long term memory still works pretty well. I'm glad I wrote it out for posterity. :)

Oerlikon

You still haven’t forgiven them for renumbering all the 47/4s Mr C? Things like that make us show our age! You must move forward! It’s progress!

You’ll realise how old I am when I tell you that I still haven’t forgiven them for painting everything that horrible shade of blue! I was happiest when engines were green, lined in black orange and gold and coaches were maroon with black and gold lining and had things like “Restaurant Car” and “Sleeping Car” written on the sides. Diesels on the London Midland Region had noses and were painted black with white stripes, likewise on the Southern Region but they didn’t have noses. The Western Region had a gas turbine which used to slink around also in black and white. There was an enormous variety of trains. A whole day spent on the footbridge at Ponders End on the Lea Valley line out of Liverpool Street passed in a flash. Not quite so the soot which usually lingered on the skin for around two or three days

Sadly, I don’t have any notebooks or photos from those days although I once had all the Ian Allan loco books with the requisite underlining. In the first place, photography was impossibly expensive and second, there were girls who, by and large, would tend not to be attracted to gawky youths covered in soot and certainly would apply the big heave-ho if they saw an Ian Allan loco book sticking out of one’s pocket! (Mr C, I think you are very fortunate there!) Anyway, there was a period of upgrading, rationalisation and modernisation to try and make oneself utterly appealing to the fairer sex; not always entirely successful. Many nostalgic treasures were lost at that time although I have since reacquired some and now look at them fondly

So, by and large, I only have memories left from the halcyon days of British Railways up to the period where they started to pour blue paint over everything and, if you’re not utterly bored at this point, I’d just like to share with you a little story about the “Mystery Tour”. I don’t know if you’ve been on a mystery tour Mr C, but they were great fun. I lived at Watlington in Oxfordshire at the time and my wife and I had a lovely little boy who was train mad. Brilliant excuse to go on a mystery tour and there were quite a few of them in those days. Assembled around sunrise at Princes Risborough station. The train pulled in, a 47 painted blue but distracted from noting the number because little boy needed a wee. Lots of carriages, blue and grey more or less. Actually, they seemed to manage to find lots of carriages for people in those days. And there were lots of people! Dashing up the old Great Western main line, we arrived at Birmingham New Street. Some people thought we had arrived at our mystery destination and were happy to get off and go shopping. But no, British Rail had other things in mind for us! At Birmingham, quite a lot of people got on which I thought was rather odd because, so far as I knew, the train didn't pick up anywhere else and in fact the platform indicator read “Excursion” or “Special” or something like that. And, no one on the train knew where we were going anyway, it being a "Mystery" as it were

By the time the new arrivals, became aware that something was terribly amiss, the train was well on its way out of the station. Just as the last few carriages were clearing the platform, someone managed to open a window and shout at the platform staff “Where is this train going?” To which the reply was “Llandrindod Wells”. You should have seen the panic! Not only were those who were taking part in the mystery tour suddenly enlightened as to their destination, but those who had anticipated an early return to their comfortable houses in the outer suburbs of Birmingham were suddenly faced with a non-stop journey to the middle of Wales. What followed was quite extraordinary. I think the guard must have written a note, wrapped it round a brick and thrown it through a signal box window somewhere just north of Birmingham because the train suddenly lurched to the right and undertook a tour of goods only lines around Birmingham at the end of which time we arrived back exactly at the platform we had left two hours earlier! There was a frantic scramble to disembark. I had no idea you could go in a circle around Birmingham and never in a month of Sundays would you otherwise have seen some of the freight lines we saw that day! Sadly, no one else seemed excited by this unbelievable bonus and it’s fair to say that most of the passengers seemed to be entirely peed off for one reason or another. Still, we did get to Llandrindod Wells and had half an hour there! On the way back I drifted into a reverie about all those wonderful rusty lines, old sidings and derelict stations we had seen around Birmingham on that very special mystery tour! Magical names, Soho Road, Handsworth Wood, Windsor Street Wharf and the Curzon Street Triangle, former gateway to Phillip Hardwick's Romanesque first Birmingham station built in 1838, closed as a goods station in the 1960's and now possibly to be reborn as part of HS2!

Status
Not open for further replies.