• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old and new bashing trips by Cowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A mighty fine loco, cracking pic too by the way. I remember getting a Freedom of the North East and hoofing down the S&C with her, uninterrupted sojourn at the droplight too. That was a cracking week come to think of it.
That must have been absolutely awesome.
We did a mini tour the evening of the Basingstoke Rail Day (also in 1987) behind D200.
We also booked on a tour of lots of lines in Kent behind her in 1988 called ‘The Sunny South Express’, unfortunately due to being prepared for going in the NRM the work wasn’t finished (does anyone remember D200 doing a tour in undercoat around then? I wouldn’t have cared what colour it was in) and the tour got cancelled, which we didn’t find out about until we got to Waterloo.

I think we spent the day in London bunking sheds instead so it could’ve been worse...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I assume those photos of 40122 were taken on August Bank Holiday Monday 1987.
If so, I was on it - what a tour.
My brother and I did it, we boarded at Manchester Victoria although the tour started at Preston.
After leaving Victoria; 40122 took us via Stockport and the WCML to Kensington Olympia where 73117 & 73119 replaced it for a run via Richmond into Waterloo.
The 40 had run light to Clapham Junction and followed the tour into the terminus before re-attaching.
We then ran to Exeter, then on to Reading before heading home - just shy of 700 miles behind 40122.
Very nice.
If I remember correctly, the other train visible in the first shot was hauled by 50035, another loco still with us :)
Thanks for the memory.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It was indeed that tour 55013, I'm sure we spoke about both being on this on a thread a couple of years back. I remember we called at Salisbury on route to Exeter and as we drew to a stand at the platform a number of passengers were looking to board, I was leaning on a door droplight when a youngish guy asked me where the train was for, when I replied Preston he just looked at me as if I had said Istanbul or Moscow or similar ha ha! Here's a few more memories of the trip....

Attachments

• IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    383.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3295.JPG
    IMG_3295.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    520.4 KB · Views: 11

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I knew you were on that 55013 as Mr Bridge had told me.
Interesting to hear that 50035 was on the Waterloo. I thought it might have been Sir Edward as this photo was in my stepbrother Tom’s collection and I’d wondered if it was the same day.
CBBC08E9-F0C1-4A40-B363-D56EA964D16A.jpeg

Anyway Tom must have blown his pocket money on virtually a whole film that day (40s were his favourite type of loco) :lol:
He’s amongst other things a part time professional photographer now. Thankfully he had a camera that day.
We were in the cab looking at you lot ;).
DACD96F1-ED20-41DF-B428-7ADE7B4CED74.jpeg 4C24CC47-1684-4F30-9FB3-C83067265961.jpeg

Running around.
Do you see yourselves in any of these guys? Sorry about the slightly faded quality.

700 miles is a long way. What was the whole mileage for the day including the 73s? o_O
3FFF9097-7DB1-4DFB-B718-256FCD9F7715.jpeg
CC48B52F-163D-4CE5-A32F-E3B81D32223A.jpeg

Ash Bridge

Established Member
In the third shot looking through the centre windscreen I'm pretty certain that the grainy looking figure either second or third from the end would be me, also I think Ash Bridge senior is just visible in the next shot. Mileage wise I thought it totalled around 750 but perhaps 55013 can confirm the exact distance?

AJM580

Great pictures of D200, had her on the Cardiff - Crewe circuit not long after your pictures happy memories of 30 years ago

Established Member
I'm not in any of the photos, sadly.
50035 was definitely in the platform when the tour arrived - I scored it for sight.
I don't remember seeing 50007 and I'm sure two green locos together would have been memorable; that doesn't mean it didn't happen, though.
I worked out the mileage many years ago and it may be wrong, I'll have to dig out my old copy of "Mile by Mile" and use the excellent Six Bells Junction website to plot the route - it might take me some time :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not in any of the photos, sadly.
50035 was definitely in the platform when the tour arrived - I scored it for sight.
I don't remember seeing 50007 and I'm sure two green locos together would have been memorable; that doesn't mean it didn't happen, though.
I worked out the mileage many years ago and it may be wrong, I'll have to dig out my old copy of "Mile by Mile" and use the excellent Six Bells Junction website to plot the route - it might take me some time :)

And I’m sure you won’t enjoy it... :lol:;)

Oerlikon

Alas, shamefully, it's been a while since I posted anything because other things have got in the way. However, apropos of nothing in particular, a recent visit to the shoe shop reminded me of Southampton Docks and the occasion on which an ex-Southern Railway USA Class tank engine destroyed one of my shoes

When I was about 10 years old, my father organised the "trip of a lifetime" for me to see the Cunard Liner "Queen Mary" at Southampton. That's the first liner of that name, launched in 1934 carrying around 2,100 passengers and 1,100 crew. Length overall around 310 metres or just over 1,000 feet. The two pictures below will give some idea of the scale of the ship, inside and outside. It had 24 boilers to produce steam for the turbines which drove the ship. Each of the boilers seemed to be larger than our house. The scale of the whole thing was totally overwhelming to a small boy let alone the concept that something of this size could free itself from its pier and set out across the Atlantic

queen-mary-ocean-liner-interior-jpg.44450

queen-mary-ocean-liner-jpg.44451

(Images may be subject to copyright)

So, I was duly impressed, but what my father didn't know was that in advance of the visit, I had researched motive power around Southampton Docks and become utterly obsessed by the ex-Southern Railway USA Class tank locomotives of which there seemed to be about 14 built in 1942 or thereabouts, the year I was born, and working around Southampton Docks. I regarded them as my brothers, they were as ugly as sin and I was determined to see one in close up whatever the consequences. The picture below will give some idea of what the engine looked like

southern-railway-usa-class-tank-engine-jpg.44452

(Copyright Mike Morant)

Because my father was a high ranking official with the British Transport Commission we seemed to have access to railway and dock property by unconventional means. Thus it was that our route to the Queen Mary appeared to lie across a vast marshalling yard. On the way there, I could see no sign of my beloved tank engines, but on the way back, I was convinced I could see the unmistakably ugly lines of one in the distance. I was convinced it was moving towards us and I needed to stall for time so I could see it close up

My inventive mind decided that I should pretend that my foot was jammed in a set of points and I couldn't get it out. By the time the loco was close enough for me to see properly, I would just lift my foot out and run across to be with my father. Except that when the time did come, my foot was actually stuck, totally! "Help!" I howled at my father as the USA tank approached at a smart lick "My foot's stuck!" Tuning in rapidly, my father leapt over a number of railway lines and grabbed me. After all, it would not be appropriate for the young son of a high ranking official to be chopped into several pieces in a railway marshalling yard! Nowadays you would not even be able to get near that kind of thing. And quite right too!

Anyway, my father solved the predicament by wrenching my foot out of its shoe and escaping to the far side of the marshalling yard. The USA tank clanked past with an angry hoot of its whistle and the driver leaning out of the cab shouting something which my father said he couldn't quite hear. "Wait here!" said my father grimly. He returned shortly afterwards with my shoe which, neatly severed, bore the unmistakeable signs of a close encounter with an ex-Southern Railway USA Class tank engine. "Right!" he said "We need a shoe shop! And if you tell your mother about this, the same thing is likely to happen to your head!"

Every time after that when I saw 30068 underlined in my Ian Allan British Railways Locomotives 1953 Combined Volume I got the shakes

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Absolutely wonderful. Although had that USA tank been travelling a little faster then I might not have been born I suppose!
Thanks for posting this, it’s a story I hadn’t heard before and when I had my heart in my mouth for a moment there (obviously I knew that the outcome would probably be ok).

Established Member
What a cracking read. Was giggling my head off at, tell your mam and something similar will happen to.your head. Probably get locked away for saying that these days.

Established Member
Absolutely wonderful. Although had that USA tank been travelling a little faster then I might not have been born I suppose!
Thanks for posting this, it’s a story I hadn’t heard before and when I had my heart in my mouth for a moment there (obviously I knew that the outcome would probably be ok).
Every silver.lining has a cloud Mr Cowley Senior:lol: only joking Nick

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Another excellent posting from you Oerlikon. They may be few and far between but when they do come they are well worth the wait, although I'll have to admit you did have me just slightly worried for a moment or two ;) Great read!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I smacked my daughter on the hand for setting her cheek up to me a while back. Apart from.refusing to speak to me for about 3 days, she's never done it again.

Blimey, in these times its a wonder she didn't also threaten to report you to Childline for such a crime! ;)

Established Member
Wow, that was a close shave!
A great read, Oerlikon, thanks for posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.