• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Oak Common Station construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianW

Established Member
The first job is several miles of contiguous piling round the outside of the future station box and construct the bracing at surrounding (existing) ground level hence it won't look too much different from the above photo for a long time part from the piling rig and cranes moving.
There must be (in time) a lot of material 'arising' from what is dug out- any idea where it is going? I imagine it will be more than somewhat 'contaminated'?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There must be (in time) a lot of material 'arising' from what is dug out- any idea where it is going? I imagine it will be more than somewhat 'contaminated'?
Former Willesden container terminal, connected with a conveyor system, thence onward to landfill by rail. Hasn’t decontamination taken place prior to this stage?

Verulamius

Former Willesden container terminal, connected with a conveyor system, thence onward to landfill by rail. Hasn’t decontamination taken place prior to this stage?
The Ian Visits website https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/20...il-to-fill-in-a-cambridgeshire-open-pit-mine/ suggests that HS2 spoil is being used to fill up an old limestone mine in Cambridgeshire.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H01681/2021-06-29/detailed provides the detail of Tuesday's train to Barrington.

Meerkat

Established Member
The Ian Visits website https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/20...il-to-fill-in-a-cambridgeshire-open-pit-mine/ suggests that HS2 spoil is being used to fill up an old limestone mine in Cambridgeshire.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H01681/2021-06-29/detailed provides the detail of Tuesday's train to Barrington.
If up to seven trains of spoil a day are being loaded does that not justify building a hopper loading system rather than using shovel loading?

zwk500

Veteran Member
If up to seven trains of spoil a day are being loaded does that not justify building a hopper loading system rather than using shovel loading?
For only a couple of years, it's an expensive investment. Not to mention the diggers are more mobile, more flexible, easier to crew, don't require coveyers to lift spoil to the top of them, don't require wagons to be shunted for them and would probably be required anyway to smooth off the load.

Meerkat

Established Member
For only a couple of years, it's an expensive investment. Not to mention the diggers are more mobile, more flexible, easier to crew, don't require coveyers to lift spoil to the top of them, don't require wagons to be shunted for them and would probably be required anyway to smooth off the load.
Fair enough - very comprehensive thanks!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I’ve noticed they’ve now dug up the tracks which formed part of the old HeX depot. The main building shell is still there though.

hwl

Established Member
I’ve noticed they’ve now dug up the tracks which formed part of the old HeX depot. The main building shell is still there though.
The tracks to the east of the building were in the way of station box construction rather than the depot building itself.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Maybe the hs2 construction team are going to use the hex depot for storage and staff facilities seems bizarre to knock down a building only to build another one if it isn't in the way

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe the hs2 construction team are going to use the hex depot for storage and staff facilities seems bizarre to knock down a building only to build another one if it isn't in the way

Same reason they knocked down Kirkdale shed and replaced it with a new one in exactly the same place - the new building is more suitable for modern needs than the old one.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Same reason they knocked down Kirkdale shed and replaced it with a new one in exactly the same place - the new building is more suitable for modern needs than the old one.
I meant construction staff facilities not train staff facilities I would assume the inspection pits and track pits.would need removing /filling in but apart from.that it could be used for.construcrion materials and toilets and showers for builders

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The tracks to the east of the building were in the way of station box construction rather than the depot building itself.

These are the tracks to the south of the building - we might be talking about the same thing but it's here that Im talking about.

oldoakhex.PNG

These are the tracks to the south of the building - we might be talking about the same thing but it's here that Im talking about.

Those tracks and the shed are in the way of the future GWML platforms and approaches. I've no idea of the programme, but presumably the sooner the old Hex infrastructure is out the way, the sooner they can start work on the new GWML side of the station infrastructure. At least the Western end - the Eastern end GWML sits on top of the HS2 station box - though IIRC they plan to build that "top down" so maybe they can work on the GWML once the structural elements and roof are on. Though the Euston Tunnel TBM's will be down there also for a while.

Attachments

• OOC.jpg
    OOC.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Those tracks and the shed are in the way of the future GWML platforms. I've no idea of the programme, but presumably the sooner the get the old Hex infrastructure out the way, the sooner they can start work on the new GWML side of the station infrastructure.

Yes I am aware they are, was just clarifying where it was and giving an update to the thread. The vast majority of activity remains in the station box.

Verulamius

Those tracks and the shed are in the way of the future GWML platforms and approaches. I've no idea of the programme, but presumably the sooner the old Hex infrastructure is out the way, the sooner they can start work on the new GWML side of the station infrastructure. At least the Western end - the Eastern end GWML sits on top of the HS2 station box - though IIRC they plan to build that "top down" so maybe they can work on the GWML once the structural elements and roof are on. Though the Euston Tunnel TBM's will be down there also for a while.
How does this relate to a proposal to create additional platforms so that the Chiltern line trains can terminate at OOC? There does not appear to be room on your picture?

zwk500

Veteran Member
How does this relate to a proposal to create additional platforms so that the Chiltern line trains can terminate at OOC? There does not appear to be room on your picture?
It's not part of the official plans, but an unofficial suggestion.

Yindee8191

Does anyone know approximately when work is expected to start on the GWML platforms? I know it won’t be for a while since the station box has to be done first.

SynthD

I think the squared area is not intended for the station itself, but the connections to those sidings are where the station will go. That squared area will be a park, and later the Chiltern station. It looks like it would be a tight fit.

Schedule 17 Application for the OOC station (20/0012/HS2OPDC) contains some indicative timescales and indications of the construction method/sequencing.

Here's a link to the "Written Statement For Information" http://planningregister.opdc.london...heSeqNo=1396789485&theApnkey=9397&theModule=1

Here's an excerpt from the "construction programme" of said document, though these things tend to be highly fluid...

Proposed Programme and Sequence of Works

Anticipated Start on Site Date / Activity / Estimated Completion of Works

Underway / Enabling works / Q3 2020
Q3 2020 / HS2 station box / Q1 2026
Q1 2022 / Conventional rail overbridge and platforms / Q4 2026
Q3 2024 / OOC station main compound site restoration / Q2 2027
Q3 2020 / Enabling works for Old Oak Common Lane utility diversions / Q1 2021
Q1 2021 / Old Oak Common Lane utility diversions / Q1 2022
Q1 2021 / Replacement of Central Line Bridge / Q4 2026
Q1 2021 / Works to replace Great Western Mainline bridge / Q4 2026
Q4 2026 / Realignment works to Old Oak Common Lane / Q3 2027

There is no "Chiltern Station" - AFAIK it was only ever a crayonista dream. It won't be possible in future without knocking down part of Wells House Road or some very expensive and disruptive retrospective grade separation.

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
Schedule 17 Application for the OOC station (20/0012/HS2OPDC) contains some indicative timescales and indications of the construction method/sequencing.

Here's a link to the "Written Statement For Information" http://planningregister.opdc.london...heSeqNo=1396789485&theApnkey=9397&theModule=1

Here's an excerpt from the "construction programme" of said document, though these things tend to be highly fluid...

There is no "Chiltern Station" - AFAIK it was only ever a crayonista dream. It won't be possible in future without knocking down part of Wells House Road or some very expensive and disruptive retrospective grade separation.

It was somewhat official crayonista. https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-co...-East-West-Rail-Strategy-summary-document.pdf is a Network Rail document from 2017 suggesting reinstating the Acton-Northolt line to allow trains from the Chiltern Line to access Old Oak Common.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Does anyone know approximately when work is expected to start on the GWML platforms? I know it won’t be for a while since the station box has to be done first.
How disruptive is building the new station going to be to GWML services? GWR has been a state semi permanent disruption now for over a decade.

The Planner

Veteran Member
How disruptive is building the new station going to be to GWML services? GWR has been a state semi permanent disruption now for over a decade.
Id imagine some significant amounts of two track timetables. Whether that is weekends and bank holidays or mid-week remains to be seen post COVID.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
They can probably build the northernmost platform and its tracks offline, then slew the track over during a short closure and make a start on the next one, and so on.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not very, I’d expect. Look for example at how they widened Reading station from basically 4 to 9 through platforms. The only significant full closure there, (over a Christmas period), was to insert the new wider bridge at the west end throat.

In this case they don’t need to maintain access to an existing station, that removes a huge amount of temporary passenger route problems. So they’ll almost certainly build half of it offline to the north of the existing tracks and then probably re-route the reliefs through two of their eventual platforms. That will allow room to slew the mains to their new positions, and then build the rest of the platforms. That could even be done in separate up and down phases..

mr_jrt

Established Member
I would have much preferred the grade separation and a Crossrail extension, but that was never the "Chiltern station" proposal, that was the Crossrail extension. The Chiltern station was to do away with the grade separation and thread a track or two between the relief lines and Wells house into a terminal platform (or two) north of the Crossrail platforms. I suspect a single track would fit easily (and would be fine for a low-frequency pair of platforms), the only real concern being how long a Chiltern platform or two you would be able to fit in.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I’ve noticed today they’ve start to tear into the old Heathrow Express depot - the side facing the railway has been gutted although the structure and signage is still there. Didn’t quite catch a photo.

The old line towards Northolt seems to be being dismantled but couldn’t tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.