• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old railway carriages repurposed for other uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes - the Carriage Register picture was, I think, around 2016. Seems the owner has done some work on the vehicle recently!
Thanks John - that's what I was hoping - so hopefully the owner is at least arresting decline by doing some work on it - which is nice to see in this case.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There's a Southern bogie parcels van in a park in Tonbridge-used by the local model engineering society as their HQ and in the middle of their miniature railway.

John Webb

Established Member
There's a Southern bogie parcels van in a park in Tonbridge-used by the local model engineering society as their HQ and in the middle of their miniature railway.
Herewith (click on picture to go to the larger original):
Tonbridge Model Engineering Society

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Appears to be a 'GUV' (General Utility Van).

Old non-passenger coaching stock seems popular with model engineering societies - near St Albans the North London MES have their miniature railways, boating pond etc. They have a CCV (Covered Carriage Van) as their accommodation, seen here in 2014:
Grounded CCV.JPG

(View of the rear of the vehicle, which unlike the Tonbridge one, does not sit on its bogies.)

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Herewith (click on picture to go to the larger original):
Tonbridge Model Engineering Society

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Appears to be a 'GUV' (General Utility Van).

Old non-passenger coaching stock seems popular with model engineering societies - near St Albans the North London MES have their miniature railways, boating pond etc. They have a CCV (Covered Carriage Van) as their accommodation, seen here in 2014:
View attachment 92148

(View of the rear of the vehicle, which unlike the Tonbridge one, does not sit on its bogies.)
Looks like these MES groups keep them in good nick too!

Western 52

A vintage carriage was being used as holiday accommodation some years ago at Llangranog. Not sure if it's still there?

John Webb

Established Member
A vintage carriage was being used as holiday accommodation some years ago at Llangranog. Not sure if it's still there?
Details at http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4700 - according to this entry a planning application was made in 2019 to remove the coach and erect a new building in its place. View of it from 2011:
Converted railway carriage at Llangrannog

© Copyright Jeremy Bolwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Western 52

WesternLancer

Established Member
It looks to be in good order. Fantastic restoration project for someone!
but may have been demolished in association with that planning application mentioned? would need more up to date views to know
record says it was a unique example and Broad Gauge

WesternLancer

Established Member
Well, according to Google Maps, it's still there, although I don't know when this image was taken: Wales - Google Maps. It's also been repainted at some time.
Google maps newish date for images function can be handy - little clock image in top left box - says aug 2016 for that image so not since that planning app date

Details at http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4700 - according to this entry a planning application was made in 2019 to remove the coach and erect a new building in its place. View of it from 2011:
Converted railway carriage at Llangrannog

© Copyright Jeremy Bolwell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
tracked that app - looks like in fact in 2016/feb 2017 - removal seems to have been approved 'subject to conditions' - but I can't see related docs (English planning sites I use tend to show the related docs so you might find what the conditions were - eg a condition may have been it being offered to a museum for example - one on a street I know near selsey had that and the grounded body went to Forest of Dean railway for preservation IIRC)
This is link to the planning application page

details from a sale - can't find date - greyed out images here show architectural images for what might have been proposed which I fear may be what the planning app relates to which might imply it's no longer there

without the application docs hard to be sure without a local to check on the ground!

Last edited:

py_megapixel

Established Member
The cafe at what was once Tintern Station has what appears to be a few old Mk2s; as far as I can tell these are purely for decoration or possibly for use as additional cafe seating.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo but I did notice some under-floor air conditioning equipment; I'm unsure if this is the system that was present when the carriages were in service or if it was retrofitted when they were bought by Tintern.

John Webb

Established Member
The cafe at what was once Tintern Station has what appears to be a few old Mk2s; as far as I can tell these are purely for decoration or possibly for use as additional cafe seating.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo but I did notice some under-floor air conditioning equipment; I'm unsure if this is the system that was present when the carriages were in service or if it was retrofitted when they were bought by Tintern.
Couple of views, both from 2011:
The old station at Tintern

© Copyright Gareth James and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The old station at Tintern

© Copyright Gareth James and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

A couple of other photos speak of the carriages having 'interesting displays' but don't explain what the displays are of! Can't answer the question on their air-conditioning.

mike57

Established Member
Its been redeveloped now, but here is part of my grandfathers house in Dersingham, Norfolk in 1959. Thats a mini me with the cat.

Attachments

• Bewama 3 Aug 1959.jpg
    Bewama 3 Aug 1959.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 104

I had a look at these while passing a few years ago, the aircon is original as they are MK2F stock.

topydre

Google maps newish date for images function can be handy - little clock image in top left box - says aug 2016 for that image so not since that planning app date

tracked that app - looks like in fact in 2016/feb 2017 - removal seems to have been approved 'subject to conditions' - but I can't see related docs (English planning sites I use tend to show the related docs so you might find what the conditions were - eg a condition may have been it being offered to a museum for example - one on a street I know near selsey had that and the grounded body went to Forest of Dean railway for preservation IIRC)
This is link to the planning application page

details from a sale - can't find date - greyed out images here show architectural images for what might have been proposed which I fear may be what the planning app relates to which might imply it's no longer there

without the application docs hard to be sure without a local to check on the ground!
It was still there in Summer 2019. Condition is great; there's even words such as "smoking" in some of the windows (denoting these would have been smoking compartments).

There's also a huge number of converted carriages, some with extensions etc, further south down the coast, especially around Tresaith

WesternLancer

Established Member
It was still there in Summer 2019. Condition is great; there's even words such as "smoking" in some of the windows (denoting these would have been smoking compartments).

There's also a huge number of converted carriages, some with extensions etc, further south down the coast, especially around Tresaith
Thanks - that's nice to know!

There's a pub just north of York (beside the ECML) with several coach bodyshells (restaurant, I think). Also a Mk1 cut in half at a pub in Hull - somewhere round the avenues area as I recall.
The Sidings Hotel & Restuarant at Shipton by Beningborough. East side of ECML about five miles north of York. Used to stay a lot and may return this summer.

Another coach (a VEP driving trailer as I recall) is at the Mizens Miniature Railway a little west of Woking on a short section of track.

There are several wooden coach bodies (GER?) in the car park at the Wells & Walsingham light Railway terminus at Wells.

Last edited:

J-Rod

Yes - the Carriage Register picture was, I think, around 2016. Seems the owner has done some work on the vehicle recently!
Here we go - sorry this took a while. Needed to find some excuse to pop over that way! Looks like a bit more work has been done over the winter, so it is being cared for (which is nice)

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpg
    IMG_4199.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 41

John Webb

Established Member
Here we go - sorry this took a while. Needed to find some excuse to pop over that way! Looks like a bit more work has been done over the winter, so it is being cared for (which is nice)
Thanks for that - I'm a bit surprised the owner didn't do the roof first, but certainly looking rather better overall.

J-Rod

Thanks for that - I'm a bit surprised the owner didn't do the roof first, but certainly looking rather better overall.
Yeah, I think they're doing what they can, when they can. Must be a labour of love!

Status
Not open for further replies.