• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic railtour alterations

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I see that some railtours at the end of July & first part of August have been postponed owing to Olympic games restrictions. A shame as no doubt like many people I was trying to get away from the Olympics. I wonder if any more railtours will also be postponed etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Only ones starting from London "because Not Work rail and the Authorities have Crowd Control Plans in place that Cannot Accomodate Extra Numbers of Passengers" or some such drivel, according to what I saw in one of the Magazines. It won't make any difference anywhere else, e.g. the Settle & Carlisle and so on. Not Work Rail did say that tour oeprators wouldn't be able to run to Weymouth during the Olympic 2012 Sailing Events on account of "all the extra trains that will be running", but that of course is a lie because there's only one or two Xc services that will be extended to Weymouth.

Once again, of course, it's the Government treating everyone who doesn't want to flock to the Capital for the Festival of Running and Throwing Things with complete and utter indifference, because how dare they not want to flock to the Festival of Running and Throwing Things? Damn unpatriotic, not wanting to give money to the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games. It's the most important thing that's ever happened, and everything else must be sacrificed to make way for it.

VTPreston_Tez

And FGW are putting on extra services, I think SWT may be as well. Yeah no room there. I could see diversions to Exeter after Yeovil via the curve.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well, bear in mind that railtours from London usually start between 0500-0700, and return between 2100-2300, and I think additional trains make so little difference. The extra services aren't eating up every path anyway.

Wath Yard

Weymouth isn't exactly a major railtour destination so I'm sure people can live without going there for a couple of weeks without requiring counselling. There probably wouldn't be any tours going there during that period anyway.

Presumably a significant amount of charter stock will be used for these early morning/late night services to/from London for the Olympics so it will probably be a very quiet time for railtours, though as far as tours aimed at the enthusiast market are concerned summer is usually a quiet time anyway.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Weymouth isn't exactly a major railtour destination so I'm sure people can live without going there for a couple of weeks without requiring counselling. There probably wouldn't be any tours going there during that period anyway.

there's two steam workings a week in summer, one from London on (last year) tuesdays, and one from Bristol on Sundays.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Network Rail are probably more concerned about a railtour failing, than it using up paths.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Network Rail are probably more concerned about a railtour failing, than it using up paths.

They're probably more concerned about being seen to Do something during the Olympics under pressure from the Government, for whom this is the sole and only thing they have any interest in at all.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
They're probably more concerned about being seen to Do something during the Olympics under pressure from the Government, for whom this is the sole and only thing they have any interest in at all.

The railtour I am hoping won't be affected is to Minehead at the end of July. I have always had problems trying to get there and really hope this trip will be OK.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Only ones starting from London "because Not Work rail and the Authorities have Crowd Control Plans in place that Cannot Accomodate Extra Numbers of Passengers" or some such drivel, according to what I saw in one of the Magazines. It won't make any difference anywhere else, e.g. the Settle & Carlisle and so on. Not Work Rail did say that tour oeprators wouldn't be able to run to Weymouth during the Olympic 2012 Sailing Events on account of "all the extra trains that will be running", but that of course is a lie because there's only one or two Xc services that will be extended to Weymouth.

Once again, of course, it's the Government treating everyone who doesn't want to flock to the Capital for the Festival of Running and Throwing Things with complete and utter indifference, because how dare they not want to flock to the Festival of Running and Throwing Things? Damn unpatriotic, not wanting to give money to the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games. It's the most important thing that's ever happened, and everything else must be sacrificed to make way for it.

however the real reason is that many of the stock providers for charter services are on standby to offer "on demand" extra services, especially late at night, to cater for people who WANT to attned the games. There are plans to run these services form London to major cites as required.

Also NR do not want ANYTHING going wrong on any lines serving an Olympic site. They want capacity to run extra trains as needed and they dont want some old puffer failing and bloking the lines. Like it or not the games ARE important and NOTHING must get in the way of making a good imporession on the people who do attend.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Also NR do not want ANYTHING going wrong on any lines serving an Olympic site. They want capacity to run extra trains as needed and they dont want some old puffer failing and bloking the lines. Like it or not the games ARE important and NOTHING must get in the way of making a good imporession on the people who do attend.

What, the olympic 2012 Sailing Events are important to whom? The ego of dorset County Council and lord Coe? How many people would prefer to see "an old Puffer" and how many would care about the Olympic 2012 Sailing Events or the fatuous "Cultural Olympiad"? i bet the Government might be surprised. I'm afraid that "NOTHING must get in the way of making a good impression" sounds rather like a slogan from some Totaltarian state. NOTHING must be allowed to stand in the way of the Glory of the State. Never mind anyone who doesn't care about the Glory of the Olympics , they must be prepared to be inconvenienced as much as the State wants them to be.

Last edited:

OliverS

What, the olympic 2012 Sailing Events are important to whom? The ego of dorset County Council and lord Coe? How many people would prefer to see "an old Puffer" and how many would care about the Olympic 2012 Sailing Events or the fatuous "Cultural Olympiad"? i bet the Government might be surprised. I'm afraid that "NOTHING must get in the way of making a good impression" sounds rather like a slogan from some Totaltarian state. NOTHING must be allowed to stand in the way of the Glory of the State. Never mind anyone who doesn't care about the Glory of the Olympics , they must be prepared to be inconvenienced as much as the State wants them to be.

Personally I'd prefer to see the Sailing. "An old puffer" can be seen frequently around the country, it isn't often I get to see the Olympics.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Personally I'd prefer to see the Sailing. "An old puffer" can be seen frequently around the country, it isn't often I get to see the Olympics.
really? You 've never seen little plastic dinghies plastered with corporate sponsorship stickers? Well, it is a Once in a Lifetime Experience, so I'm told. Which seems curious to me, as I could go to any beach in the country and probably see loads of little plastic dinghies. Ah, but I suppose those little plastic dinghies wouldn't have Heroes in them, I suppose that's the difference.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
really? You 've never seen little plastic dinghies plastered with corporate sponsorship stickers? Well, it is a Once in a Lifetime Experience, so I'm told. Which seems curious to me, as I could go to any beach in the country and probably see loads of little plastic dinghies. Ah, but I suppose those little plastic dinghies wouldn't have Heroes in them, I suppose that's the difference.

How that chip on your shoulder? seems to be really getting to you at the moment....

Just because you do not like the olympics doesnt mean that others agree, the rail network needs to be at its best, so a steamer dying just outside kings cross would cause absolute mayhem. Or causing a lineside fire...

Like people have said a hell of a lot of carriges will be on standby waiting.

Its not for long and it wont happen again your lifetime. Book a holiday and get out of the country for the duration of it if your that bothered. No railtours in london for a few weeks.... its hardly banning them all forever is it, calm down and stop getting angry for no reason. And being sarcastic to other members of the forum isn't particularly called for either.

anthony263

Established Member
There is talk of DRS hiring a set out to FGW for use on Cardiff - Tauntons/Paigntons to allow units to be released to strengthen Weymouth trains.

I to heard about FGW hiring in at least 2 loco hauled sets particulary to release the 3 carriage class 150's to provide extra capacity and some extra services between Bristol & Weymouth with a hst possibily also running to Weymouth.

I do hope we can get the loco hauled sets again on the Cardiff - Taunton route it would certainly give me something to do when I am not working.

TGVDUDE

I to heard about FGW hiring in at least 2 loco hauled sets particulary to release the 3 carriage class 150's to provide extra capacity and some extra services between Bristol & Weymouth with a hst possibily also running to Weymouth.

best get my railcard renewed for the summer if this is true then! lol

anthony263

Established Member
best get my railcard renewed for the summer if this is true then! lol

Luckily my railcard is valid until next october however I dont think you will be the only enthusiast renewing their railcards if FGW bring back some loco haulage for a couple of weeks.

Although I wonder what Locomotives DRS would use (I certainly will be very pleased if they use 37425)

pooliemag

The railtour I am hoping won't be affected is to Minehead at the end of July. I have always had problems trying to get there and really hope this trip will be OK.

Could you tell me who is running this tour please?? My son works in Minehead and it could be a nice surprise if i turned up on a tour for a few houre or so :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Could you tell me who is running this tour please?? My son works in Minehead and it could be a nice surprise if i turned up on a tour for a few houre or so :)

The one I am booked on at the moment is a Steam Hauled Mainline Railtour on Sat 28 July by the Railway Touring Company who are based in King's Lynn. It departs from Paddington with Pickups at Slough & Reading and I think a couple of other stations. It also runs on Sats 04 & 11 Aug, 01 Sept & Fri 07 Sep. Have a look at their website, I think also Steam Dreams/Cathedrals Express may be doing a trip to Minehead in the summer too.

Schnellzug

Established Member
How that chip on your shoulder? seems to be really getting to you at the moment.....

No, I'm merely the voice of reason. Do you know how much the Government and (just to take the example locally) the local idiot Council have wasted on this festival of little Plastic dinghies. i'm afraid that, in a world where Councils are Cutting services, bus services, everything in sight, all because (they say) of Government cuts, then i'm afraid that this monumental festival of Pride and Glory is inexcusable.

Last edited:

John55

I see that some railtours at the end of July & first part of August have been postponed owing to Olympic games restrictions. A shame as no doubt like many people I was trying to get away from the Olympics. I wonder if any more railtours will also be postponed etc.

Out of curiosity how many railtours have been postponed due to the Olympics? I note the usual steam tours (4/5 per day incl the tours from Victoria) all seem to be running (except perhaps to Weymouth) but there doesn't seem to be any equivalent unified list of diesel railtours to review.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

What and this comes a suprise to you? It is what the Russians used to call a "Hero Project"

The Government want to use this to advertise the UK, kick start the economy AND create a feel good factor to push them towards electoral success. For the government the games MUST be seen to work. The result MUST be posistive PR. Therefore NOTHING must get in the way of that. Nothing at all.

So what you need to do is be a good little boy, sit down, shut up, dont rock the boat OR ELSE! :D

junglejames

Established Member

But the problem is you can see a moving lump of metal with smoke coming out of it anyday as well. Just look out of your window and watch the cars go past.
So now none of the options are very important. Olympics arent important because you can see a little plastic dinghy anyday. Railtours arent important because you can see lumps of moving metal anyday.

In fact, Id dare to suggest the lumps of moving metal are seen a lot more frequently. So going by your own way of looking at things, The Olympics should get priority, and thats not the government saying that, its you and your odd way of looking at things.

Intercity

i think schnellzug needs to have a lie down,

either that, or he needs to stop reading the daily mail.

harz99

i think schnellzug needs to have a lie down,

either that, or he needs to stop reading the daily mail.

Or maybe he could take a Schnellzug to a country more appropriate to his handle, and learn from history about how life really was in a totaliterian state, before spouting such claptrap.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I read that the Weymouth Sunday steam specials will run every week, but will be cancelled on the dates when the Olympics are on for obvious reasons

YorkshireBear

Established Member
That is a very good point actually, a little plastic digny is a lot more exciting to alot of people than a metal can with smoke coming out of the front....

Status
Not open for further replies.