• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron restrictions in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Apparently you can be fined for not working from home "without good reason" in Wales from Monday.

Who on earth decides what is "good reason" if you are found to be not working from home?

At least the Labour leaning Trade Unions appear to be against it.

This has to be the point, and there’s been plenty of competition through this, where we have to say things are now properly unhinged.

Having said that, I think back to the clothing sections of Tesco’s having plastic sheeting over them, and perhaps that point came ages ago after all…

Reliablebeam

This is nuts. I'm embarrassed to be Welsh and thank god I live and work in England. But I'm supposed to head back for a bit of the old Nadolig and new year with family. I'm dreading what the Dripford is going to come up with and whether I will end up beating a hasty retreat.

How is a beat copper supposed to make a decision on whether someone needs to be in work or not? If an unscrupulous boss is forcing workers in then surely this is a health and safety issue? This sounds a lot like the comfortable 'crachach' middle class civil servants making rules that suit them and their lifestyle to the detriment of everyone else.

35B

Established Member
I really do feel for all the residents of Wales. Drakeford has now totally gone way beyond what is logic based on the reality of the last few days.

My job does not fit essential as in any part of the food supply chain, anything medical or a service like refuse collection. A proportion though is practical not simply driving a PC. Taken to the limit I could clear a room and set up a bench bringing all that I need. Just one fundamental flaw is then nobody else has access to the equipment and components removed from the factory to my make-shift workshop. Even so somehow items would have to be exhanged between colleagues. For many though this would be impossible e.g. performing one stage of a continuous production process that requires both a rolling supply of components from the previous stage, machinery and passing components to the next stage. We were here 18 - 21 months ago and simply do not need to revisit. For all is shortcomings Boris does seem to realise this.
The key phrase is "reasonably practicable"; the "man on the Clapham Omnibus" test would quickly see that it would not be reasonably practicable in the circumstances you describe.

Kite159

Veteran Member
This is nuts. I'm embarrassed to be Welsh and thank god I live and work in England. But I'm supposed to head back for a bit of the old Nadolig and new year with family. I'm dreading what the Dripford is going to come up with and whether I will end up beating a hasty retreat.

How is a beat copper supposed to make a decision on whether someone needs to be in work or not? If an unscrupulous boss is forcing workers in then surely this is a health and safety issue? This sounds a lot like the comfortable 'crachach' middle class civil servants making rules that suit them and their lifestyle to the detriment of everyone else.
It won't be a beat copper but a number of freshly recruited people to form a new S tate Security Service going round checking up on people out and about to ensure they are complying with Drakefords latest rules.

I suspect if Wales goes into a lockdown next year Drakeford will bring in a French style form you need to fill in before leaving the house where you state the reason for being outside.

Dai Corner

Established Member
It won't be a beat copper but a number of freshly recruited people to form a new S tate Security Service going round checking up on people out and about to ensure they are complying with Drakefords latest rules.

I suspect if Wales goes into a lockdown next year Drakeford will bring in a French style form you need to fill in before leaving the house where you state the reason for being outside.
I call Drakeford 'the Headmaster'. He reminds me of the headmaster of my 1970s Grammar school (bar the academic gown).

Privileges will be withdrawn until boys' behaviour improves.

Boys outside the classroom during lesson times must have a note from a teacher.

I will not hesitate to put the whole school in detention if necessary.

Butts

Veteran Member
With all the speculation on here regarding enforcement - what was the answer "from the horses mouth" as I'm sure he must have been asked ?

Drogba11CFC

I call Drakeford 'the Headmaster'. He reminds me of the headmaster of my 1970s Grammar school (bar the academic gown).

Anyone out without good cause will get six of the best.

kristiang85

Established Member
How on earth will that be enforced? Some people are getting bored of working at home. It's been well over a year in Wales now.

Not Wales, but my place has been WFH since 17th March 2020. I am well and truly bored of it now.

Thank heavens we don't have this idiotic law here in England though.

Reliablebeam

He reminds me a lot of that judgemental interfering Church Elder / Deacon in the local fire and brimstone chapel when I was growing up. The type who sits on every local busybody committee going, but there's always rumours down the pub of unsavoury habits. If you grew up in a smaller Welsh town you know the type.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
The rule of six has returned in Wales for hospitality, along with mandatory 2m distancing, masks, track and trace and table service:

A maximum of six people will be allowed to meet in pubs, cinemas and restaurants in Wales from 26 December, the first minister has announced.

And two metres social distancing rules are to return in public places, Mark Drakeford said.

Licensed premises will have to offer table service only, face masks will have to be worn and contact tracing details collected.

Outdoor events will be limited to 50, with 30 indoors.
(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59752835)

This is completely ludicrous. I thought Scotland was bad, but I’m glad I don’t live in Wales. Drakeford is on a complete power trip and on a mission to destroy the country. Why on earth would anyone in sane mind have voted him back in?

Furryanimal

The rule of six has returned in Wales for hospitality, along with mandatory 2m distancing, masks, track and trace and table service:

This is completely ludicrous. I thought Scotland was bad, but I’m glad I don’t live in Wales. Drakeford is on a complete power trip and on a mission to destroy the country. Why on earth would anyone in sane mind have voted him back in?
Oh well...still it could have been worse.And I have no intention of social distancing.
Suppose I’ll have to fill a form in next time I go in Boswells Cafe.May accidentally get my phone number incorrect again...
No justification at all in taking us backwards and I dread to think when I’ll legally be at a sporting event here.
Can’t stop me going to a park where a game is taking place!

Dai Corner

Established Member
We didn't. He doesn't have a majority in the Welsh Parliament. He's able to get these measures through because of an agreement with Plaid Cymru. Neither Party declared that they would co-operate before the election.

At least I'll still be able to go the boozer. Must remember to take my mask so I can wear it to go to the toilet though!

No justification at all in taking us backwards and I dread to think when I’ll legally be at a sporting event here.
Can’t stop me going to a park where a game is taking place!
Clubs with clubhouses overlooking the pitch? Or will they be required to keep the curtains closed?!

Bikeman78

Established Member

Stupid one way system is back at the entrance of Sainsburys but once inside it's a complete bun fight. Packed in there this morning.

Given that Wales already had the English plan B measures, I did wonder what crazy rules they would bring in to go one better.

nw1

Established Member
According to Drakeford you must follow the rules of the country you live in...so if you live in Wales you must work at home even if your employer insists you go in.And if you do go in to ensure you still have a job you will be fined.
I suspect many would prefer to be fined than lose their job - as long as there isn't a criminal record attached.

If there are ambiguous edge-cases like this, they should always be arranged so that people aren't forced into a lose-lose situation, i.e. if you work in England you should be exempt.

35B

Established Member
I suspect many would prefer to be fined than lose their job - as long as there isn't a criminal record attached.

If there are ambiguous edge-cases like this, they should always be arranged so that people aren't forced into a lose-lose situation, i.e. if you work in England you should be exempt.
I suspect they'll have hobson's choice - if they get fined, then there's a strong likelihood the employer will be too.

Ediswan

Established Member
With all the speculation on here regarding enforcement - what was the answer "from the horses mouth" as I'm sure he must have been asked ?
The answer Drakeford gave on R4 was as follows: The fines are a 'non story'. They were in the previous regulations, but never enforced. They will not be enforced this time.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The answer Drakeford gave on R4 was as follows: The fines are a 'non story'. They were in the previous regulations, but never enforced. They will not be enforced this time.
If he has no intention of using them, why has he put them in the Regulations?

It sounds awfully like the kind of threat a populist third-world leader would use.

Class800

Established Member
Mark Drakeford should be chased out of any sports venue, pub, club or restaurant he dares show his face in from now on.
Would a private business such as a pub or sports venue be permitted to ban the First Minister from the premises? If so, it may be a good and brave move

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would a private business such as a pub or sports venue be permitted to ban the First Minister from the premises? If so, it may be a good and brave move
Why wouldn't they be able to?

Drogba11CFC

I'm going to ask Winchester City to impose a blanket ban on all restriction supporters.

Class800

Established Member
According to Drakeford you must follow the rules of the country you live in...so if you live in Wales you must work at home even if your employer insists you go in.And if you do go in to ensure you still have a job you will be fined.
I don't think an employer can require you to break the law, and the law will include the law of where you live, provided your place of residence is within any conditions set by the employer, such as within 25 miles of the workplace (that is the rule where I work)

Why wouldn't they be able to?
It's an interesting one - the power of the Government vs the rights of the business - could they go further and ban all Police from the premises, which would effectively mean they can break the rules without consequences

21C101

Established Member
Why on earth wasn't the Coronavirus Act drafted so that ministers took decisions on a UK wide basis instead of delegating it to these jumped up county councils?

Or is is deliberate, so that Labour are given enough rope to hang themselves and the tories can say Vote Labour and you will be locked down?

greyman42

Established Member
Why on earth wasn't the Coronavirus Act drafted so that ministers took decisions on a UK wide basis instead of delegating it to these jumped up county councils?

Or is is deliberate, so that Labour are given enough rope to hang themselves and the tories can say Vote Labour and you will be locked down?
Labour made it clear that that is their policy months ago.

TPO

Each time you think we've reached the literal limit of insanity, it seems you can still be surprised by something even more ridiculous.

Indeed.

This is utterly bonkers and I struggle to comprehend the mentality of the person who thought this was a good idea.

Quite a number of people live around Chepstow and Caldicot area and work in Bristol.

Not just around there, plenty of people commute (or used to commute) from the Cardiff catchment east to the border into Bristol, and also from mid-Wales to the English Midlands.

Some people from further west in Wales (or from work away in England during the week- if they are away in England working during the week but their "official" residence is in Wales, will they be fined too?

Barking, truly barking. I hope that the public remember this at the next election.

TPO

Butts

Veteran Member
Are we likely to see any large scale protests on the streets of Cardiff, Newport, Swansea or anywhere else in light of these measures ?

35B

Established Member

Because healthcare policy is one of the matters delegated to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland under their respective devolution settlements.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Because healthcare policy is one of the matters delegated to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland under their respective devolution settlements.
Probably the legislation enabling devolution should have included provision for UK-wide management of things like pandemics and other national emergencies.

Unfortunately nobody thought about it at the time.

21C101

Established Member
Probably the legislation enabling devolution should have included provision for UK-wide management of things like pandemics and other national emergencies.

Unfortunately nobody thought about it at the time.
A primary act of parliament can override any devolution provision, just as it can with any local authority matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.