• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron restrictions in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Furryanimal

Wales Online is reporting that there is to be a gradual two week return to level zero( what is beyond that?)
with full details at the lunchtime press conference.
Of course lifting all restrictions immediately would have required Drakeford admitting he was wrong...which he will never do.

Smidster

And of course the First Minister is taking personal credit for the reduction in cases:

"Today, only a week later, it is 1,200, a really rapid decline backed up my other measures that we are seeing in Wales and that is what gives us the space to be able to lift some of the protections that we have had."

How convenient to ignore that exactly the same decline is happening in England and in the same time had the audacity to criticise England for not having more restrictions.

Ridiculous.

Yew

Established Member
Wales Online is reporting that there is to be a gradual two week return to level zero( what is beyond that?)
Of course lifting all restrictions immediately would have required Drakeford admitting he was wrong...which he will never do.
I take it that level Zero does not involve zero restrictions?

Furryanimal

I take it that level Zero does not involve zero restrictions?
No...still mask wearing and covid passes...and that is my point.We have these at level zero.
By implication there is nothing after that!
We are still getting three week reviews though.

And of course the First Minister is taking personal credit for the reduction in cases:

"Today, only a week later, it is 1,200, a really rapid decline backed up my other measures that we are seeing in Wales and that is what gives us the space to be able to lift some of the protections that we have had."

How convenient to ignore that exactly the same decline is happening in England and in the same time had the audacity to criticise England for not having more restrictions.

Ridiculous.
Essentially he is returning us to where we were before he imposed these needless restrictions.
But he will never admit he was wrong.

bramling

Veteran Member

Does seem quite a u-turn to be returning to level 0 in two weeks, when it feels like only yesterday that Drakeford was predicting total doom and gloom.

greyman42

Established Member
Does seem quite a u-turn to be returning to level 0 in two weeks, when it feels like only yesterday that Drakeford was predicting total doom and gloom.
Drakeford was interviewed about it on LBC this morning and James O'Brien did not ask one difficult question on the subject.

Simon11

Established Member

Ridiculous.
Or ignore that children have been away from school leading to the drop and will increase again in a week or two as they all begin to mingle again! Be interesting to see what he says and does then!

david1212

Established Member
Boris took a gamble that the lighter restrictions and guidance for England would be enough to keep hospital admissions manageable and while no doubt much wider difficult situations exacerbated by staff absence than made the headlines this was proved right.

Further while Drakeford will also soon have Wales back to his level zero that is more restrictive than for England with no clear benefits so how can he continue to justify it ?

Bikeman78

Established Member
Boris took a gamble that the lighter restrictions and guidance for England would be enough to keep hospital admissions manageable and while no doubt much wider difficult situations exacerbated by staff absence than made the headlines this was proved right.

Further while Drakeford will also soon have Wales back to his level zero that is more restrictive than for England with no clear benefits so how can he continue to justify it ?
It's laughable that level zero still has restrictions. Is there a level -1 for no restrictions at all? There's no timetable for masks or home working to be axed in Wales.

Furryanimal

It's laughable that level zero still has restrictions. Is there a level -1 for no restrictions at all? There's no timetable for masks or home working to be axed in Wales.
It has been pre-announced(as is usual) on Wales Online that masks and vaccine passports (sorry-passes) are to remain in Wales ‘ because they make people feel safe’.
And that work from home is now to be recommended but not mandatory.
Next review on February 11th.
How long can even Drakeford keep this going?
And your question about what is after level zero rather concentrates my mind too.
We can defeat masks with non compliance.But vaccine passports are another thing.
Will they remain after folk have to pay to get proof of a negative test?

Dai Corner

Established Member
It has been pre-announced(as is usual) on Wales Online that masks and vaccine passports (sorry-passes) are to remain in Wales ‘ because they make people feel safe’.
And that work from home is now to be recommended but not mandatory.
Next review on February 11th.
How long can even Drakeford keep this going?
And your question about what is after level zero rather concentrates my mind too.
We can defeat masks with non compliance.But vaccine passports are another thing.
Will they remain after folk have to pay to get proof of a negative test?
Drakeford didn't dare upset Rugby authorities or fans by forcing the Six Nations to be played away or behind closed doors.

Masks and vaccine passports because it's different to England.

He can keep it up as long as he satisfies Plaid Cymru and they vote with him in the Welsh Parliament.

greyman42

Established Member
Drakeford didn't dare upset Rugby authorities or fans by forcing the Six Nations to be played away or behind closed doors.

He can keep it up as long as he satisfies Plaid Cymru and they vote with him in the Welsh Parliament.
He can keep it up as long as the people of Wales let him, and at the moment that seems indefinitely.

Bikeman78

Established Member

I think there must be a divide between those that have gone to work throughout and those that work from home. No one in my work seems bothered any more. Even those that were shielding. Most of them have had Covid now.

As for vaccine passports, how many of the 70,000 rugby fans going to the Six Nations will be worried? Very few I think. I'm sure they could fill the stadium without vaccine passports.

greyman42

Established Member
I think there must be a divide between those that have gone to work throughout and those that work from home. No one in my work seems bothered any more. Even those that were shielding. Most of them have had Covid now.

As for vaccine passports, how many of the 70,000 rugby fans going to the Six Nations will be worried? Very few I think. I'm sure they could fill the stadium without vaccine passports.
Do they actually check your vaccine passport because they don't bother at premier league matches in England?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In England venues have to check a defined percentage. No idea what this percentage is though.

In Northern Ireland 100% checks were carried out everywhere, even when having breakfast in a hotel restaurant (because the area where breakfast is served is licensed to sell alcohol!)

MikeWM

Established Member
In England venues have to check a defined percentage. No idea what this percentage is though.

It was up to the event organiser to work out the percentage, for certain events where it would be 'unsafe' or 'not feasible' to check everyone and where everyone is likely to show up at the same time, and they've done an assessment and had it approved by the local authority and...

So, there were ways around 100% checking in some cases, but it was a complex mess. The legislation is here for anyone keen to look at the details. Fortunately it goes away in 4 days time and hopefully will never be seen again.

Butts

Veteran Member

In Northern Ireland 100% checks were carried out everywhere, even when having breakfast in a hotel restaurant (because the area where breakfast is served is licensed to sell alcohol!)

Blimey even Dublin wasn't that bad when I was there last week, just had to show Vaccination Certification when checking in and that was it.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Blimey even Dublin wasn't that bad when I was there last week, just had to show Vaccination Certification when checking in and that was it.
It was worse than that. The NHS England pass is accepted and works their scanners but because it has no photo embedded (unlike the NI version), you have to also provide photo ID.

Visit Cafe Nero for a coffee and a cake no papers required (not a licensed premise). Breakfast in a hotel and it’s vaccine pass and passport and give them your contact details.

Absolutely ridiculous.

island

Veteran Member
It was worse than that. The NHS England pass is accepted and works their scanners but because it has no photo embedded (unlike the NI version), you have to also provide photo ID.

Visit Cafe Nero for a coffee and a cake no papers required (not a licensed premise). Breakfast in a hotel and it’s vaccine pass and passport and give them your contact details.

Absolutely ridiculous.
A side effect of NI's "vote early and vote often" culture :E

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We have a separate thread for Ireland, so let's stick to Wales here ;)
Exactly; level zero is a misnomer. I am not interested in visiting Wales until they get to level -1 (or whatever they want to call it).

Exactly.

He can keep it up as long as the people of Wales let him, and at the moment that seems indefinitely.
Problem is people will vote principally on other matters, not just Covid, especially once so few restrictions remain, so he will continue to get away with it because his party is the least bad option in the eyes of many.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Tomorrow Drakeford was due to announce his latest review of the Welsh coronavirus legislation. Today it was announced that he has tested positive, how convenient. Maybe i'm too cynical but given his history it wouldn't surprise me if this was used to tell everyone how dangerous the situation still is, that the English plans are reckless and alert level zero must remain.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Tomorrow Drakeford was due to announce his latest review of the Welsh coronavirus legislation. Today it was announced that he has tested positive, how convenient. Maybe i'm too cynical but given his history it wouldn't surprise me if this was used to tell everyone how dangerous the situation still is, that the English plans are reckless and alert level zero must remain.
I wonder who he'll give his Six Nations ticket to?

island

Veteran Member
Wales will abolish CovidPass requirements for events and large venues on Friday 18th. Mandatory masks will be cut back to retail, public transport, and personal care from Monday 28th, with a view to being dropped entirely by the end of March.

Furryanimal

Wales will abolish CovidPass requirements for events and large venues on Friday 18th. Mandatory masks will be cut back to retail, public transport, and personal care from Monday 28th, with a view to being dropped entirely by the end of March.
He just has to drag it out....and venues have been told they can continue to use Covid Passes if they wish to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.