• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron restrictions in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
I wonder how many millions worth of business are going over the border to places like Bristol, Chester, Hereford, Shrewsbury etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drogba11CFC

I notice that the FWHR is still using fixed tickets and the TR and VoR are still imposing masks as late as June.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
On the TR webb site masks are on to December

What is TR?

And they have it down as mandatory masks until December?? Even though mandatory masks could well (at long last) end way before that??!! Some of these companies!

Simon11

Established Member
Ones to be avoided then?

Unfortunately all the Welsh heritage railways are having to follow the welsh guidance which still states masks should be worn inside. Once that is dropped, hopefully all operators will allow people to use common sense!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Unfortunately all the Welsh heritage railways are having to follow the welsh guidance which still states masks should be worn inside. Once that is dropped, hopefully all operators will allow people to use common sense!
Which should be dropped next month, implication was some of these would carry it on.

Last edited:

david1212

Established Member
I wonder how many millions worth of business are going over the border to places like Bristol, Chester, Hereford, Shrewsbury etc.

... plus probably not so much right now but come Easter onwards how much will be lost to Welsh businesses by visitors from outside Wales choosing not to visit specifically because of restrictions that they will not have in England ?

nanstallon

Drakeford enjoys exercising his little bit of power.

I can't see the Ffestiniog, though, going back to timetables and hop on and off as you please. These fixed itinerary tickets are apparently very successful commercially. But turning a train service into a 'steam experience' theme park changes the character of the line - and not for the better.

Meole

Wales and Snowdonia in particular argue they have too many visitors, various restrictions are being introduced for parking etc, so discouraging a few with mask enforcement will be welcome to many.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wales and Snowdonia in particular argue they have too many visitors, various restrictions are being introduced for parking etc, so discouraging a few with mask enforcement will be welcome to many.

So mask enforcement is all about discouraging tourism rather than being for any medical reason? Says it all really.

TravelDream

So mask enforcement is all about discouraging tourism rather than being for any medical reason? Says it all really.

I think you are going a leap too far.

Lots of places around the world suffer from overtourism and not a small number of them have policies in place to try to reduce tourist numbers (the actual goal being to reduce raw tourist numbers, but increase spend per visitor so tourism income actually increases).

Nobody seriously thinks masks mandates staying is because of that.
In fact, the majority of visitors probably have no idea rules are different in Wales compared to England.

Furryanimal

Finally according to Wales Online
Wales is set to remove all legal coronavirus measures by Monday, March 28, should the public health situation remain stable, the First Minister has confirmed.

It means it will no longer be compulsory to wear face coverings in shops, on public transport, or in healthcare settings on that date and self-isolation will not be required by law.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Wales is set to remove all legal coronavirus measures by Monday, March 28, should the public health situation remain stable, the First Minister has confirmed.

It means it will no longer be compulsory to wear face coverings in shops, on public transport, or in healthcare settings on that date and self-isolation will not be required by law.
The last part of the UK to do so.

Although Scotland will be keeping the "requirement" (it's always just been guidance!) to self-isolate if testing positive.

Dai Corner

Established Member
About time.

I'd be happier if the laws enabling the restrictions were repealed, requiring a vote in the Welsh Parliament to reinstate them in future.

I will celebrate by putting my mask on for the 20 minute bus journey to the pub where I've been able to spend the whole day/evening without one for months!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
About time.

I'd be happier if the laws enabling the restrictions were repealed, requiring a vote in the Welsh Parliament to reinstate them in future.

I will celebrate by putting my mask on for the 20 minute bus journey to the pub where I've been able to spend the whole day/evening without one for months!
But such a measure would be largely symbolic. It would be more meaningful if there were a written constitution which guaranteed certain rights, and which couldn't be changed without a supermajority. As most sensible countries do it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Why not now? The end of the month is ages away. They really do want this to go on for as long as possible don't they.

So they can hold on for a further week after us in Scotland and be "Champions of the UK" - or should that be Chumps :E

nw1

Established Member

Would Snowdonian businesses who might see a drop in income if tourists stay away agree with that statement?

If too many cars are the problem, they could improve the public transport (i.e. the buses mostly, the Conwy Valley line has little capacity) rather than telling visitors to go away.

Bikeman78

Established Member
About time.

I wouldn't bother. The last bus I went on, 2 out of 20 passengers had a mask.

Bikeman78

Established Member
In and around Newport I'd say 80-90% wear masks. It will be interesting if that changes after today's announcement.
This was in Cardiff on a Saturday evening heading in to town. People of all ages on board. I was surprised to be honest.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not sure I recognise that.
In the South Wales Valleys, mask use is still at about three quarters I'd say.
Where about were you traveling?
In Cardiff. I expect it will tail off in the next few weeks with the requirement being dropped in three weeks from now. I've been travelling around Manchester and Merseyside and they are close to non existent on some trains.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Wales is set to remove all legal coronavirus measures by Monday, March 28, should the public health situation remain stable, the First Minister has confirmed, so it will no longer be compulsory to wear face coverings in shops, on public transport, or in healthcare settings on that date and self-isolation will not be required by law.

...or maybe not:

The devolved nations don't want to let this go, do they?? :rolleyes:

MARK

Simon11

Established Member

seagull

If only they would ask the dribbling twerp Drakeford to foot the bill personally, it would be over even more quickly. Many of the residents of said devolved countries are, I feel, at the point where they've had enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.