• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron restrictions in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
If only they would ask the dribbling twerp Drakeford to foot the bill personally, it would be over even more quickly. Many of the residents of said devolved countries are, I feel, at the point where they've had enough.
That being the case, they need to demonstrate it at the ballot box. If they don't then they cannot complain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
The devolved nations don't want to let this go, do they?? :rolleyes:

MARK
The reason is that they then again become total nobodies. If they keep this going they still keep themselves in the limelight. The reality is they don't want to lose the power they gained from this. However public are starting to lose interest in all this and mask wearing slipping.

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
...or maybe not:

The devolved nations don't want to let this go, do they?? :rolleyes:

In Newport on Saturday and very few wearing masks on the trains at all.

Two maskless coppers on the platform not bothered by anyone not wearing them either. The only ones wearing them were the security folk.

MARK

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'm inclined to agree. Hardly anyone seems bothered any more. The comments section on the referenced news item above largely agrees with that view.

Signal_Box

From the very start the Welsh & Scottish chimp houses have been playing politics, they care not for the nations financial health which will kill more and over a longer period then covid.

I strongly believe a national emergency like covid WAS should have had a notional government response, not the political one up manahip we’ve seen.

Like him or not the PM is the PM for the United Kingdom, not England.

I can see masks and “protections” being extended in Wales in line with Scotland for at least another month, then longer until we roll nicely into Summer. Then of course a new variant will emerge taking us into Winter again.

Meanwhile England try and rebuild their economy, whilst Wales and Scotland moan about how left behind they are and want more money from the nasty English government.

102 fan

I would of thought going into an election whilst still keeping restrictions isn't a great start to a campaign. I'm convinced the only reason N Ireland dropped restrictions was because of our elections in May, one in which the DUP, the majority party, are expected to not do as well as before, and want nothing to hinder votes.

Signal_Box

Wales voted to continue the current tea party for another five years at the height of the national emergency! lol

There will in my lifetime never be any other administration in wales other than Labour unfortunately.

Stan_Butler

There is no English government, nasty or other wise. HM Government, as you said correctly about the PM, are the Government of the United Kingdom, not England
From the very start the Welsh & Scottish chimp houses have been playing politics, they care not for the nations financial health which will kill more and over a longer period then covid.

I strongly believe a national emergency like covid WAS should have had a notional government response, not the political one up manahip we’ve seen.

Like him or not the PM is the PM for the United Kingdom, not England.

I can see masks and “protections” being extended in Wales in line with Scotland for at least another month, then longer until we roll nicely into Summer. Then of course a new variant will emerge taking us into Winter again.

Meanwhile England try and rebuild their economy, whilst Wales and Scotland moan about how left behind they are and want more money from the nasty English government.

Dai Corner

Established Member
There is no English government, nasty or other wise. HM Government, as you said correctly about the PM, are the Government of the United Kingdom, not England
I think he was satirising the nationalist/separatist view.

Signal_Box

Indeed, hence the comment regards HMG being the only true U.K. Government. Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly are mare expensive talking shops as far as I’m concerned.

Apologies for making an assumption regarding your gender :oops:

Not a problem, I know you meant no offence.

island

Veteran Member
Was there due to be an announcement today as to whether the promised end of restrictions on Monday was going ahead?

Markdvdman

The announcement will be made tonight and from their pre-amble nothing will change on the mask front. Sick of them and as plenty have said we should be ruled by London in the UK!

Stan_Butler

That may be the case as far a you’re concerned, but the reality is the Scottish GOVERNMENT lead the Scottish Parliament. In Westminster HM Government lead the UK Parliament. There is no English Government. I’m not so sure about the Welsh Senedd, I think they may be lead by an Executive, rather than a Government?
Indeed, hence the comment regards HMG being the only true U.K. Government. Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly are mare expensive talking shops as far as I’m concerned.

Signal_Box

That may be the case as far a you’re concerned, but the reality is the Scottish GOVERNMENT lead the Scottish Parliament. In Westminster HM Government lead the UK Parliament. There is no English Government. I’m not so sure about the Welsh Senedd, I think they may be lead by an Executive, rather than a Government?
I’ve not said there is an English government, quite to the contrary.

I’d vote for the return of all power to Westminster like a shot, the pandemic has shown how political bias has cost lives, financial growth and caused mental health crisis.

Very few normal non political following people could the leaders of the Scottish and Welsh talking shops, I’d say most could now name at least one. MD and NS have had a taste of being someone, with the power that goes with it, like Putin and other power hungry leaders around the world don’t want to give it up now.

Masks are a very visible remember there’s risk, you must obey.

Even now two years on I’m still getting asked where my mask is and why I’ve not got a hidden disabilities badge on display !

Stan_Butler

Really?

Anyway, if your really going to compare the democratically elected First Ministers of Scotland and Wales to Vladimir Putin just because you happen to disagree with the policy on face masks during a pandemic, that says it all !!

Bikeman78

Established Member

I’d vote for the return of all power to Westminster like a shot, the pandemic has shown how political bias has cost lives, financial growth and caused mental health crisis.

Very few normal non political following people could the leaders of the Scottish and Welsh talking shops, I’d say most could now name at least one. MD and NS have had a taste of being someone, with the power that goes with it, like Putin and other power hungry leaders around the world don’t want to give it up now.

Masks are a very visible remember there’s risk, you must obey.

Even now two years on I’m still getting asked where my mask is and why I’ve not got a hidden disabilities badge on display !
Sorry to hear that you've been getting hassle. I've been lucky in that regard.

I don't see what extending the mask mandate is supposed to achieve. It's routinely ignored by so many people now that it's pointless.

102 fan

Really?

Anyway, if your really going to compare the democratically elected First Ministers of Scotland and Wales to Vladimir Putin just because you happen to disagree with the policy on face masks during a pandemic, that says it all !!

Was Putin not elected as well?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well well from Monday masks on public transport and shops no longer mandatory. Stay mandatory is health and care for now. Self Isolation no longer mandatory from Monday. All about elections on May 5th I reckon!

I'm glad to see that Drakeford had finally made the right decision (even if it's wrong to hold out on health and social care, but that's a battle for another day). I doubt Sturgeon can hold out as the only part of the UK where masks are still mandatory in major parts of public life.

danm14

Well well from Monday masks on public transport and shops no longer mandatory. Stay mandatory is health and care for now. Self Isolation no longer mandatory from Monday. All about elections on May 5th I reckon!

Are masks actually legally mandatory in health and social care in Wales? As far as I know they haven't been in any other part of the UK or Ireland.

MikeWM

Established Member
Are masks actually legally mandatory in health and social care in Wales? As far as I know they haven't been in any other part of the UK or Ireland.

It would appear so, the Welsh regulations are quite a bit different from the Scottish ones (whereas the Scottish ones are very similar to those we had in England):

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/1609/regulation/20
(h)premises used for the provision of medical, health or dental services, audiology, chiropody, chiropractor, osteopath, optometry, physiotherapy or acupuncture services, or other medical or health services including services relating to mental health;

Note that the 'severe distress' exemption (still) doesn't apply in Wales either, unlike in Scotland.

It'll be a bit odd if they keep this massive regulation (currently due to expire on Monday) just for that though, as the existing regulation still covers all manner of things (such as all the details of their old 'alert level' system, rather like the English 'tier' system, even though none of the 'alert levels' are currently applicable). This specific regulation has been around in some form or other since December 2020...

trebor79

Established Member
Well, just as I was dreading having to go to Wales for 3 days, this happens and I won't have any problems being bare-faced. Though my Welsh colleagues tell me everyone is thoroughly fed up of them, so perhaps Drakeford has read the room for once.

102 fan

Not in a free and fair, DEMOCRATIC election. Whatever the circumstances of him getting into power, I don’t think comparisons between him and the First Ministers of Scotland and Wales are reasonable.

I can see you're a fan of regional assemblies. Personally I'd rather have 650 Westminster MP's and pump the money that is sunk in regional assemblies into the health service, but there you go.

Signal_Box

Sorry to hear that you've been getting hassle. I've been lucky in that regard.

I don't see what extending the mask mandate is supposed to achieve. It's routinely ignored by so many people now that it's pointless.

Well that’s a surprise, the muzzle mandate ends in all settings other than health care from Monday !!!!

Defiantly all about the forthcoming elections, but I’m not complaining although I’ve said all along it’s about party policies than actual public health.

I can see you're a fan of regional assemblies. Personally I'd rather have 650 Westminster MP's and pump the money that is sunk in regional assemblies into the health service, but there you go.

That’s how I feel as well, ONE nation, one government/seat of decision making power.

Stan_Butler

I’ve not discussed regional assemblies, just National Parliaments. Although whatever your views on the National Parliaments or the First Ministers of Scotland and Wales (either personally or in relation to their policys on wearing masks) surely you agree that comparisons with Putin are neither justified or reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.