• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
This also applies to other countries, though, and they are carrying on with restrictions despite little evidence they are needed.
What other countries do has no bearing on what England does. Sajid Javid made it clear that restrictions would be dropped when the evidence suggested Omicron was no longer a significant threat to public health.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Self Isolation is hopefully not to be renewed on March 24, and they are also looking at the value of the 2 day test after you arrive in the UK (assume if vaccinated)

The Day 2 test is a strange one, and is inconsistent with not needing a test before departing for the UK.

Basically, it doesn't stop you catching Covid from the most likely environment to do so on returning from your holiday, i.e. the plane. If you don't need a pre-flight test, why have the Day 2 test?

Andyh82

Established Member
I notice that because the tories have said you don’t have to wear a mask, #Wearamask is now the 4th highest trending topic in the UK on Twitter.

And regarding Starmer’s fence sitting ‘we must see the science’, I’m sure depending on what science you look at, the result could be anything between, yes it’ll be probably ok, to we should be in a full lockdown.

I’m expecting “Measures to be removed but it’s too soon says scientists” to be the headline on some news bulletins over the next few days. Said scientist will be someone you’ve near heard of.

brad465

Established Member
I notice that because the tories have said you don’t have to wear a mask, #Wearamask is now the 4th highest trending topic in the UK on Twitter.
There's more to Twitter trends than meets the eye: if you actually click it and see what's being said, yes some tweets are taking it seriously, but there are plenty where it's been attached to criticism of them in some way. There are also tweets with the hashtag that are regarding other countries' policies/behaviour and thus not influenced by the decision today.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm absolutely astounded!

Just seen the latest 'Google Doodle' for today and it's 'Wear a Mask - Get Vaccinated - Save Lives'

Why on earth would they feel it necessary to revive this nonsense at this particular time!
It's a political statement. Wearing a mask (any old flimsy loose fitting mask will do, this isn't about effectiveness) is symbolic of being part of a certain mindset; check out the following thread (but don't be fooled by the title; it's a lot more complex than that, as discussed in the thread):

I am in France now.

Re the figures, for what it's worth, I believe the figure registered on Monday was 0, so Tuesday's must have lumped together Monday and Tuesday - therefore in fact the figures are about the same as last week. But we all know the media don't want to be bothered by minor details like that when they can post attention grabbing lone numbers.

I do agree with you though. Mask wearing here is a farce, people have grown tired of it and many have it hanging round their chin, etc. And as if, if someone is contagious, how will it help that they wear a mask for 20 seconds to enter and take their seat in a restaurant when they then sit for 2 hours at the table maskless?
According to Worldometer the previous day's figure was 102,144. But yes, daily figures are not very reliable. If we add together all the figures for the week (January 12 - 18 inclusive), we get 2,166,034. That's approximately 4 times the UK figure for the same period!
It only takes a small minority of Twitter users to start a trend. It's also not uncommon for most people to be either disagreeing with the wording of the trend, or to be simply asking why it is trending.

The cold hearted brigade on Twitter is extremely active; many of these people have cushy work from home jobs, or are retired/don't need to work, and are desperate for the epidemic to continue. The only sign for me at work that there is an epidemic in this country is the visible signs of masks; remove that and there is effectively no epidemic. The cold hearters are worried by this.

And regarding Starmer’s fence sitting ‘we must see the science’, I’m sure depending on what science you look at, the result could be anything between, yes it’ll be probably ok, to we should be in a full lockdown.
Starmer is such a fool thinking there is one science; there is no way I will vote Labour unless someone is in charge who makes it clear they do not believe in lockdowns, masks and other measures. I hate the way the Tories have acted but let's be clear: it would have been SO much worse under Labour. We must not forget that.

We should find out later today.

I am bracing for at least another 3 weeks though honestly feel 6 is more likely - I just don't see them being willing to remove all measures at once.

But yes, the whole thing is complete nonsense - I went to a gig last night (transported by my personal train service) and you have a few hundred people in a room all being happy and normal and then the music ends and the masks come out to leave the venue...I just don't get the psychology of it all.

Very sad though to see what has happened to our cities and I don't have any bright ideas for revival!
Loose fitting masks in certain settings is indeed nothing to do with virus spread (if it was, tight fitting highly effective FFP2/3 masks would be mandated and there would be more consistency over what is required in different settings); it's actually about placating people who are scared to see people who are unmasked in close proximity to them. Tim Spector even admitted that he thinks people should wear masks to enable people to feel "safer".

Tim Spector said:
...a lot of people will feel safer in that environment and and will travel to do things because many people are are fearful of of at the moment...
Of course those people will obviously not be at gigs, therefore a mask mandate at gigs won't make anyone feel safer in that setting. The same applies in pubs etc, of course.

Last edited:

Simon11

Established Member
The Day 2 test is a strange one, and is inconsistent with not needing a test before departing for the UK.

Basically, it doesn't stop you catching Covid from the most likely environment to do so on returning from your holiday, i.e. the plane. If you don't need a pre-flight test, why have the Day 2 test?

and how many people actually bother to do the test? Considering that there is very little interest in checking covid forms upon arrival at our airports, I cant see there being a team ringing people on day 2 to obtain their test results…?

HST274

I elaborated in the second half of the sentence, which you appear not to have quoted
First of all, sorry for not quoting it. My mistake :oops: I am the one who should elaborate. Could you explain how minorities relates to having an opinion on masks?

takno

Established Member
First of all, sorry for not quoting it. My mistake :oops: I am the one who should elaborate. Could you explain how minorities relates to having an opinion on masks?
There's people declaring that they personally aren't bothered by wearing a mask, and that even though they don't think they work the fact that they are "no trouble" is reason to not bother getting rid of them. The substantial minority of people for whom they are a problem are having their lives made much more difficult, and people who generally stick up for minorities don't seem to care.

bramling

Veteran Member

I’m expecting “Measures to be removed but it’s too soon says scientists” to be the headline on some news bulletins over the next few days. Said scientist will be someone you’ve near heard of.

The “follow the science” line taken by many politicians is a complete abdication of duty.

It’s essentially a means of disassociating themselves responsibility for any outcomes.

Whitty has on a number of occasions alluded to the fact that the politicians need to state what outcome they hope to achieve.

Labour are just as guilty of this.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to advise you all that with todays announcement of the cessation of "Plan B" in England from next week this thread will be closed soon.

Many of the topics that have been discussed here can be found in existing Coronavirus threads. Of course a new thread can be created if an existing one on the topic does not exist.

brad465

Established Member
Whitty has on a number of occasions alluded to the fact that the politicians need to state what outcome they hope to achieve.
Interesting that Whitty and Vallance have hardly been seen in public or at briefings since the turn of the year (and their honours in a way), which combined with Van Tam stepping down in March, makes me wonder if something is up? If there is it might be all the party revelations and they don't want to have to deal with press questions about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.