• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Any increased transmission following the return of schools after the new year will be offset by the increasing rollout of the booster jab program, which will reduce any consequent hospitalisations.

Indeed. Of course once we get beyond mid Jan we are closer to the end of winter than the start, so it should be easier to make the case for pressing on as we are, as arguments along the lines of “the seasons are against us” fall away (sadly we are clearly stuck with plan B until springtime whatever happens!).

The key thing is the government holding its nerve for the next three or four weeks. The fact they’ve done so over Xmas and NYE, with Jan and Feb still ahead of us, bodes very well indeed.

This really is a very strange thread. I think it's an echo-chamber for a specific set of ill-informed opinions about the pandemic. I take a look occasionally to see how it's coming along.

What’s “ill informed” about anticipating more and more complaining from lockdown enthusiasts when the elected government chooses to go against their wishes? Indeed, your posting above rather proves me right ;).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This really is a very strange thread. I think it's an echo-chamber for a specific set of ill-informed opinions about the pandemic. I take a look occasionally to see how it's coming along.
What a strange post. If you object to anything, why not quote what you object to and state your view? I am happy to debate with you but I need to know what it is you disagree with and what your opinion is and I will be more than happy to state why I disagree and provide evidence to back up my claims.

Have you followed any of the links I have provided? Do you object to the content of any of them? If so, I am curious to learn what it is you object to. I am more than happy to have a healthy debate on the subject!

yorksrob

Veteran Member

As a thread, it is just a bit ahead of its time. One only has to look outside of one's door at the public going about its business to see that those proposing restrictions have lost the argument.

bramling

Veteran Member

If the thread is so "ill-informed", surely you'd be wanting to take the opportunity to set everyone straight?

Indeed. Of course once we get beyond mid Jan we are closer to the end of winter than the start, so it should be easier to make the case for pressing on as we are, as arguments along the lines of “the seasons are against us” fall away (sadly we are clearly stuck with plan B until springtime whatever happens!).

The key thing is the government holding its nerve for the next three or four weeks. The fact they’ve done so over Xmas and NYE, with Jan and Feb still ahead of us, bodes very well indeed.

Yes there's a few things which have happened over the last couple of weeks. Johnson's own position in front of the backbenchers being *much* weaker than hitherto possibly being the main one, plus the scientific community finally coming under a degree of scrutiny which has been lacking for the last 21 months. Unless the "tsunami of hospitalisations" happens within the next week or so, it would be pretty much impossible to justify any further new restrictions. I fully expect the constant drip-drip-drip of dire predictions from SAGE about what "could" happen, though.

Of course, it does seem like we're stuck with "plan B", though I can't see compliance with stuff like masks holding up right through to spring.

I suspect that were it not for North Shropshire and Fraser Nelson, we'd probably have had "plan C" by now.

Last edited:

NorthKent1989

Established Member

Then do set us straight as you must be very informed, I would say its a rational thread that is highlighting what is going on currently, maybe you may want to take a look outside and see that most of the general public are 'ill informed' as you claim.

I await for your well informed opinions

102 fan

That line of argument really worked well for Brexit and several Northern Ex Labour seats, didn't it?

Eyersey468

Established Member
I find it quite amusing how hot under the collar some on here are getting because they received a text from the Government. I assume they think it’s some sort of breach of their liberties?

If you are really upset by this then I suggest you have a long hard look in the mirror and think about what is really upsetting in life, you know like the death of a relative or maybe losing your job.

If that doesn’t work go and have a drink to calm your nerves.
I have had a text from the government regarding a booster, I can't say it bothered me. Though I did find it slightly odd that all of our coach phones have had one as well.

Towers

Established Member
I have had a text from the government regarding a booster, I can't say it bothered me. Though I did find it slightly odd that all of our coach phones have had one as well.
My company mobile and tablet both received vaxine spam today, as well as my actual mobile phone!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Apparently the head of the pub chain JW Lees has barred a range of figures who've demanded restrictions from his pubs, including Drakeford, Sturgeon, Neil Ferguson, Susan Michie and even Robert Peston:

How serious this is is debatable, but certainly highlights frustration in the hospitality industry.
Serious?! I'm sure all those figures are now pondering their stance in view of this alarming news.:D It's a classic case of free publicity for a badly performing brand who most people have never heard of (certainly I hadn't).I feel for the industry as a whole, but with certain exceptions. Now when Tim Martin comes out with something similar, you'll know something's up.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Serious?! I'm sure all those figures are now pondering their stance in view of this alarming news.:D It's a classic case of free publicity for a badly performing brand who most people have never heard of (certainly I hadn't).I feel for the industry as a whole, but with certain exceptions. Now when Tim Martin comes out with something similar, you'll know something's up.

They're more heavily concentrated in the North West. They're perhaps not one of my go-to breweries, but they don't appear to be a failing company from the occasions I've visited them.

brad465

Established Member
Tim Martin had a series of posters last winter criticising the Government's response, either on tables of open pubs, or, in the case of Wetherspoon's pubs in Tier 3, in the windows facing outwards. So in a way he's already done a similar move. I haven't checked to see if he's recently done anything else.

They're more heavily concentrated in the North West. They're perhaps not one of my go-to breweries, but they don't appear to be a failing company from the occasions I've visited them.
Lees beers are very good and they do own pubs in North Wales where Mr Drakeford might just pop in for a pint.

jumble

NHS England has issued hospital stats for 25th and 26th although five trusts didn't report so they are warning data is incomplete.

NHS London, which has one trust not reporting, had admissions of 386, 390, 278 for 21st, 22nd and 23rd respectively with total hospitalised in London yesterday of 2425 +165 on Xmas Eve but add in last known data for Whittingham Trust of 51 beds occupied on 21/12 means it more like +210 which is consistent with daily increase on avg of 100 over last week. Clearly +100/day is unsustainable if it doesn't flatline and also suspect some people would be reluctant to to go in over Xmas so we aren't out of the woods yet.

My forecast is Boris will do nothing today but ought to be reminding people of the situation and encouraging behaviour that helps to moderate contact and that keeping hospital admissions manageable is key to getting through this wave.

Do we know if a hypochondriac turning up at A and E with a sniffle and then being given a test which is positive and then being sent home with an aspirin is included in your figures as an admission?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Do we know if a hypochondriac turning up at A and E with a sniffle and then being given a test which is positive and then being sent home with an aspirin is included in your figures as an admission?
I don't believe so that would be logged as treated without admission.

Admission is when you arrive on a ward or are waiting in A&E for a bed.

Jonny

Established Member

What’s “ill informed” about anticipating more and more complaining from lockdown enthusiasts when the elected government chooses to go against their wishes? Indeed, your posting above rather proves me right ;).

They had better be careful that they do not end up being seen as requiring vaccination (even by way of threat), as that makes it a lot harder to enforce the regulations. It becomes a case of he (or she as appropriate) did not use those words but he might as well have done by what else he did.

adc82140

Established Member
I don't believe so that would be logged as treated without admission.

Admission is when you arrive on a ward or are waiting in A&E for a bed.
However, if you are likely to be waiting more than 4 hours to be seen, there is a strong possibility of being "admitted" to the Clinical Decisions Unit which is A&E with beds. You may well be discharged an hour later, but it's still an admission.

DustyBin

Established Member
However, if you are likely to be waiting more than 4 hours to be seen, there is a strong possibility of being "admitted" to the Clinical Decisions Unit which is A&E with beds. You may well be discharged an hour later, but it's still an admission.

I was going to mention this; is it to do with hitting waiting time targets? I’m sure that’s what I’d read somewhere.

It’s something to be mindful of regardless.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Could well be but what is for sure the latest CO-SIN report on hospital admissions from 1st December certainly shows duration of stays is substantially improved upon from previous waves. The upside of a shorter stay means the the NHS can treat a higher volume of patients although ultimately it will run up against a capacity limit unless the cases diminish either through increased levels of vaccination or naturally decay away as we've seen in other waves especially as we march on towards spring.

1640698893883.png

island

Veteran Member
I was going to mention this; is it to do with hitting waiting time targets? I’m sure that’s what I’d read somewhere.

It’s something to be mindful of regardless.
Yes, that's right. Hospitals have targets around the number of people who are dealt with at A&E within 4 hours of their arrival being logged, and "breaches" of the target tend to set off the middle managers in suits.

The outcome of course is that people get minimally dealt with by being transferred to a different queue.

Read more at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658273/

DustyBin

Established Member
Yes, that's right. Hospitals have targets around the number of people who are dealt with at A&E within 4 hours of their arrival being logged, and "breaches" of the target tend to set off the middle managers in suits.

The outcome of course is that people get minimally dealt with by being transferred to a different queue.

Read more at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658273/

Thanks.

Spamcan81

As a thread, it is just a bit ahead of its time. One only has to look outside of one's door at the public going about its business to see that those proposing restrictions have lost the argument.
Going about their business as in an up to 50% drop in footfall in some areas of commerce?

Class 33

Established Member
No further restrictions announced for England before New Year, thank goodness. Johnson beginning to see sense by the looks of it(for the time being anyway). The last thing we need is yet more blasted "restrictions" and us going further backwards. Today's papers were largely positive about this news. Apart that is The Mirror with their front page, blasting Johnson for hosting no Downing Street News Conference or "Address to the nation" announcing further restrictions, and accusing him of going into hiding!!! I think this paper is SERIOUSLY out of touch with what the large majority of the nation are feeling in that we really do NOT need any further restrictions ruining our lives!

daily-mirror-front-page-2021-12-28

Last edited:

seagull

Needless to say, Locktivist Sky News running a story about "Doctors warn Covid measures in England are insufficient".

What, those doctors that anyone with any illness other than Covid already cannot get an appointment with (but that's ok, if those people die at least it's not a Covid-death, eh...)? In a topsy-turvy country where it seems more important to protect a health service rather than expect a health service to protect us?

If someone had predicted this a few years ago, they'd have been locked up for their own safety. Yet here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.