• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
The man is just so transparent. The booster programme would normally be discussed in a standard press conference. But he's trying to act all statesman like after the last week's revelations, and make himself look good.

I thought it was announced that Boris was on paternity leave, clearly popping back up to try and get some good media coverage

But if there are restrictions, how about less restrictions for the over 40% who have had a booster (carrot and stick approach, to getting jabs), or tighter restrictions for those not upto date with jabs. Doesn’t give any incentive if treated same once you have got yours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
The man is just so transparent. The booster programme would normally be discussed in a standard press conference. But he's trying to act all statesman like after the last week's revelations, and make himself look good.
...and 20.00 on a Sunday isn't exactly going to get much in the way of people watching either is it?
Yes I think it's also so the front pages are covering what he says here and not anything else surrounding him and this party saga.

adc82140

Established Member
I just really want him to address the nation dressed up as this

(For those using screen readers, the image shows Lrrr, leader of the planet Omicron Perseii 8 from the cartoon Futurama. He is a bad tempered green alien with yellow eyes and buck teeth who wears a red cape) download-2.jpeg

NorthKent1989

Established Member
But if there are restrictions, how about less restrictions for the over 40% who have had a booster (carrot and stick approach, to getting jabs), or tighter restrictions for those not upto date with jabs. Doesn’t give any incentive if treated same once you have got yours.

That will only prove that it was never two jabs to freedom, no more restrictions for anyone, no special treatment for anyone either

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I was told it was two jabs not a never ending need to get jabbed so you start with those that aren't jabbed at all first.

Also this is just pushing all other GP services to the back of the queue because they are being pushed to deliver on jabs only.

I thought it was announced that Boris was on paternity leave, clearly popping back up to try and get some good media coverage

But if there are restrictions, how about less restrictions for the over 40% who have had a booster (carrot and stick approach, to getting jabs), or tighter restrictions for those not up to date with jabs. Doesn’t give any incentive if treated same once you have got yours.
This was tried in Austria, only to go back to full lockdown for all within days.

asw22

So for those who had their second vaccine in October or November then they are basically not protected? This in itself contradicts the 12 week transmission message.

It really is a worrying time where the remedy causes more damage than the disease
And as mentioned in other posts today, the ability to go into work has a few benefits.

I think it is a week or so until schools go on holiday and as seen around July and October the hospitalisation rate dropped so I think that the same will happen again (even at the same or less restrictions).

My side worry is that if this pm is forced to leave office, then he'll try to take the UK down with him, and the opposition will want to go even further.

Class 33

Established Member
I'm now a nervous wreck as to what is going to happen over the coming week or two, with the government's absolutely over the top reaction to this darn Omicron variant, which current evidence is only causing MILD illness!!! I dread that tougher restrictions(including the return of the wretched "social distancing" restrictions) are coming followed by yet another wreckless damaging national lockdown. And not only that, but I dread that it will all drag on for months on end again, as others here have mentioned. Look at the third lockdown that started in early January for example, with those other restrictions alleady in place. It then took all the way until July to come out of the lockdown and all those blasted restrictions to be finally scrapped. This could happen all over again. If so I really don't think my mental health will be able to cope with this all over again. Many MANY others will be fearing just the same. Please god NO NO NO.

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
I smell a lockdown incoming. Alert level raised to 4 and Boris addressing the nation tonight.
No. The BBC have been informed that there will be no new rules. This is about booster jabs, and I suspect clarifying the requirements for daily testing of close contacts. As discussed upthread, BoJo doesn't have the guts to face the media in a normal press conference.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I'm now a nervous wreck as to what is going to happen over the coming week or two, with the government's absolutely over the top reaction to this darn Omicron variant, which current evidence is only causing MILD illness!!! I dread that tougher restrictions(including the return of the wretched "social distancing" restrictions) are coming followed by yet another wreckless damaging national lockdown. And not only that, but I dread that it will all drag on for months on end again, as others here have mentioned. Look at the third lockdown that started in early January for example, with those other restrictions alleady in place. It then took all the way until July to come out of the lockdown and all those blasted restrictions to be finally scrapped. This could happen all over again. If so I really don't think my mental health will be able to cope with this all over again. Many MANY others will be fearing just the same. Please god NO NO NO.
I feel exactly the same, I really don't think my mental health will hold out with another lockdown.

nw1

Established Member
If Johnson is going to induce perhaps unnecessary (and given there apparently will be no new measures, one could argue it is unnecessary) panic about Omicron while refusing to answer to his wrongdoings, he really must resign. Now.

What if businesses go bankrupt as a result of premature panic? Of course, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Esq. will be alright. He doesn't have to worry about money ever again.

He constantly deflects the attention from himself. He really is the worst leader we've had for at least 100 years, and quite possibly since Cromwell.

DanNCL

Established Member
The statement has been pre recorded, no doubt so that his "speech" can be perfected to exactly what they want it to be with no slip ups. He hasn't even got the decency to tell the British Public whatever the hell it is he thinks is all of a sudden important live, nor take questions from either the public or media, nor announce it in the House of Commons like he's supposed to. I will not be watching the statement, the more people who don't watch it the lower the viewing ratings will be. He wants us all to give him our attention, he's certainly not getting mine this evening!

nw1

Established Member
I feel exactly the same, I really don't think my mental health will hold out with another lockdown.

I do think we are in a stronger position than other countries though in avoiding a lockdown in the sense that we have a PM who is being firmly grasped by the b*lls. If he does anything unpopular he will be finished.

Though as others have said, the current panic seems to be greater in the UK than elsewhere. Other European countries moved to harsher restrictions in the last few weeks due to increases in Delta, but from what I can make out, things haven't got worse still in the last week or so. This really does make you smell a rat. Called Boris.

Yes, I agree with that. Having some spare capacity in the health service to deal with large scale casualties would also be something to be looked at.

And we've only had two years to do something in this respect. What have Johnson, Hancock, Javid and the rest done? Sweet F.A.

No - a lockdown would be a "potential" measure if it was level 5. There was no lockdown when we were at level 4 before.

Apparently we were last at 'level 4' in May, which was presumably when Delta started spreading due, in part, to Johnson's hypocritical actions. But making a big thing of it and addressing the nation is still going to induce alarm in some people. Of course, we all know the real reason for it.

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
I will not be watching the statement, the more people who don't watch it the lower the viewing ratings will be. He wants us all to give him our attention, he's certainly not getting mine this evening!

I'm on a train, so I won't be watching - though I wouldn't be anyway! The last time I watched any of this sort of thing was 12th March 2020, at which point we still had a sensible plan that didn't involve either panicing or destroying the country.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
If you think that some people won't die, I have some bad news for you...
He might be that chap from Cambridge University who thinks 'the first person to live to 1,000 has already been born'. He gets around the media a lot with his theory. Been in a bit of bother recently so faded slightly.

The new variant might be more “mild” but that isn’t the issue: it’s more transmissible. It doesn’t matter if people aren’t dying from this. If too many people need to be admitted to hospital at once the NHS will collapse and you can kiss goodbye to ever coming anywhere close to eliminating the current waiting lists.

asw22

If Johnson is going to induce perhaps unnecessary (and given there apparently will be no new measures, one could argue it is unnecessary) panic about Omicron while refusing to answer to his wrongdoings, he really must resign. Now.

What if businesses go bankrupt as a result of premature panic? Of course, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Esq. will be alright. He doesn't have to worry about money ever again.

He constantly deflects the attention from himself. He really is the worst leader we've had for at least 100 years, and quite possibly since Cromwell.
Didn't Cromwell cancel Christmas 5 years in a row?

Before my time but Neville Chamberlain is seen as an appeaser and this is how I see Johnson. He states that he is all for liberty etc and then cave in to the Scientists and the opposition state that he should go further. The only thing that seems to be holding him back are some of his backbenchers.

nw1

Established Member
Didn't Cromwell cancel Christmas 5 years in a row?

Ah, so currently Johnson is only 20% as bad as Cromwell. If he miraculously survives and calls a lockdown in 2024 for the fifth year running, he'll be his equal. ;)

Bungle73

On Moderation
The new variant might be more “mild” but that isn’t the issue: it’s more transmissible. It doesn’t matter if people aren’t dying from this. If too many people need to be admitted to hospital at once the NHS will collapse and you can kiss goodbye to ever coming anywhere close to eliminating the current waiting lists.
I think this "NHS collapsing" thing has been peddled one too many times. Change the record.

nw1

Established Member
I think this "NHS collapsing" thing has been peddled one too many times. Change the record.

If this is the case (which I doubt) it shows how shockingly negligent Johnson, Hancock and Javid have been. But maybe they're just happy for us to have lockdowns every time a new mutation comes along - because as wealthy and well-connected people they will never be affected by them (lockdowns that is).

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
As well as Johnson's "Address to the nation" in a minute, Starmer will also have an "Address to the nation" about something too. Though unclear if that will be tonight or another date.

brad465

Established Member
He's bringing the target to offer boosters to everyone over 18 to the end of this month, fast forwarding it a whole month and setting up an abundance of sites to help meet this.

Status
Not open for further replies.