• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Availability of on-board catering facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railcar

I traveled yesterday on a lightly-loaded GWR service from Newton Abbot to Paddington. There were only three other people in my coach and all were several rows from me.
I had a coffee and biscuits from the trolley because a) I wanted refreshment, and b) it gave me the perfect excuse to avoid wearing a mask for a considerable part of the journey.

(By-the-by - what a pleasure it was when the train reached the changeover point at Thatcham and the diesel was turned off)

Fast Track

Interesting comments so far.

One thing is for certain ... business travellers will NOT be popping into Coop, Spar, Sainsburys and others to buy a sandwich and drink before boarding a train when the fare paid for the journey is close to a monthly mortgage payment.
As Irish Rail /dk1 implied (professional railwaymen) and Others, decent catering offer on-board is still important. For those who advocate get rid of catering I don't think you would be pleased when you experience a lengthy delay or air conditioning fault only to find you can't get a drink because the facility has been removed. Some delays are 2+ hours OR there is a trolley but not in your portion and not being able to access it because of these silly 5 car units or if you find a trolley it hasn't got any stock.
When HST's dominated (very sadly missed) staff operating the buffet had surprisingly large number of queries from customers ranging anything from ticket validities, connections and most importantly being a 'friendly face' of the railway and a meeting hub. The railway is missing a big trick here in not seeing a decent on-board catering provision as a real customer service asset rather than a burden judged by profit/loss. A trolley service on long distance services just doesn't cut the mustard.

For those who remember privatisation of the railway back in 1994 the newly formed train operating companies saw a value in catering especially in first class. GNER increased their full restaurant service available to all ticket holders whilst National Express Midland Main Line were the first company to offer free tea/coffee to all passengers from the buffet. This continued until the end of their franchise. No train company today offers free refreshments to all customers. What a shame. Such a fantastic marketing tool. Prior to this British Rail was not bad as some claim.

Train companies should look at enhancing the customer experience like Midland Main Line did which was highly successful. Avanti West Coast Business Class will be interesting. Perhaps modelled on Chiltern Railways Silver Train service experience before catering was culled by Arriva.

Transport for Wales Premier Service is the standard that the railway should be providing. Comfortable seating, quality food whether restaurant or from buffet counter, good quality rolling stock and helpful staff. This obsession to Airline standards is only accelerating the rot which Virgin began and others followed. The railway is not an airline nor should it be a low budget coach style operation. If you want that there are plenty of coach operators.

I'll just make a brief comment on Advance tickets: Too many being sold and should be restricted to the most lightly loaded trains whereas sensibly priced flexible tickets should be encouraged.

Totally agree. Retail marketing and food presentation has moved on in the 21st century. Enhanced service, imaginative products and motivated staff add value to the customer experience. Chaotic trolleys out of their limited stock within an hour of departure or no show at all frustrate and alienate customers.

FQTV

Totally agree. Retail marketing and food presentation has moved on in the 21st century. Enhanced service, imaginative products and motivated staff add value to the customer experience. Chaotic trolleys out of their limited stock within an hour of departure or no show at all frustrate and alienate customers.

Completely agree.

I’d also add to that buffets (where they do exist) that close for up to an hour at a time for ‘stocktaking’ and ‘set up’ - in an age of barcodes, scanners, contactless payments, internet connectivity, real time reporting, fast chillers, bean to cup coffee machines, induction ovens etc., etc., are similarly frustrating and alienating.

That’s not an argument for getting rid of any more buffets, to be clear; it’s about developing them, their systems, supply chains and working practices in ways that probably mix parts of the ways that were abandoned fifteen or twenty years ago, with the new ways of communicating and responding swiftly to things that modern technology can support.

Fast Track

Completely agree.

I’d also add to that buffets (where they do exist) that close for up to an hour at a time for ‘stocktaking’ and ‘set up’ - in an age of barcodes, scanners, contactless payments, internet connectivity, real time reporting, fast chillers, bean to cup coffee machines, induction ovens etc., etc., are similarly frustrating and alienating.

That’s not an argument for getting rid of any more buffets, to be clear; it’s about developing them, their systems, supply chains and working practices in ways that probably mix parts of the ways that were abandoned fifteen or twenty years ago, with the new ways of communicating and responding swiftly to things that modern technology can support.

Antiquated retail experiences that shouldn’t happen buffet counters being shut for “stocktaking” and shutters down way short of their destination all bad PR, loss of potential revenue and annoying to customers.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Antiquated retail experiences that shouldn’t happen buffet counters being shut for “stocktaking” and shutters down way short of their destination all bad PR, loss of potential revenue and annoying to customers.

I believe it varies sometimes depending on the mood of the crews.

Sometimes on a Glasgow bound service they will close the shop between Carstairs and Motherwell, other times they'll close all the way down at Lockerbie, at least an hour prior to arrival. They should be closing up minimum 30 minutes before arrival.

I do understand buffets closing mid way through, sometimes it may happen due to receiving new stock at places such as Preston

embers25

Established Member
Does anyone know if the 0843 Exeter-Penzance or the 1615 Penzance to Paddington have trolley on them in First Class yet?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Does anyone know if the 0843 Exeter-Penzance or the 1615 Penzance to Paddington have trolley on them in First Class yet?

It'd be worth looking on GwR's site to see if they are offering catering. Though it may be likely given that most InterCity operators are slowly beginning to re-introduce catering.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It'd be worth looking on GwR's site to see if they are offering catering. Though it may be likely given that most InterCity operators are slowly beginning to re-introduce catering.

In my experience GWR are more miss that hit at the moment in terms of on board catering.

route101

Established Member
I believe it varies sometimes depending on the mood of the crews.

Sometimes on a Glasgow bound service they will close the shop between Carstairs and Motherwell, other times they'll close all the way down at Lockerbie, at least an hour prior to arrival. They should be closing up minimum 30 minutes before arrival.

I do understand buffets closing mid way through, sometimes it may happen due to receiving new stock at places such as Preston

Usually closes by Carstairs on Avanti. Ive had a drinks service after Carlisle in first which i was surprised about. At night the staff are getting ready to end their shift.

stuartl

Had an email today from EMR to say that they are restoring a limited at seat refreshment service in 1st class, pre packed food bag with hot drink

Andy Pacer

Established Member
had the breakfast option yesterday and returning today to Glasgow, very lightly loaded, breakfast option isnt the full plated version, but porridge, grill in a box, potato hash or bacon, decent effort tbf
i counted about 4 people in first class from glasgow this morning
Is this Avanti?

island

Veteran Member
Yes, I must say I still do not get this at all. An average business has a stocktake once or twice a year. Train buffets, principally Avanti, seem to do it several times a day.
However do they manage on an Airbus A320 with it's "massive galley"
They wear face masks which automagically kill any virus they look at. Didn’t you know?

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, I must say I still do not get this at all. An average business has a stocktake once or twice a year. Train buffets, principally Avanti, seem to do it several times a day.
Railways have typically done this at every crew changeover.

Not sure if it’s been said but we’ve resumed very verrrry verrrrrrrry basic catering for 1st class on EMR

Still no word on when rail gourmet are coming back with the trolley, surprised they haven’t already

dk1

Veteran Member
Not sure if it’s been said but we’ve resumed very verrrry verrrrrrrry basic catering for 1st class on EMR

Still no word on when rail gourmet are coming back with the trolley, surprised they haven’t already
Don't get it. Some TOCs have almost resumed a normal (if static) catering option. Very strange.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

Does the pre packed snack bag also apply through the day on EMR (ie not just at breakfast time)? The e-mail suggested so but I wasnt certain.

raveon

Had the breakfast service on avanti yesterday; an appalling shadow of its former self yet the fares obviously haven’t been reduced to reflect it.

dk1

Veteran Member
Had the breakfast service on avanti yesterday; an appalling shadow of its former self yet the fares obviously haven’t been reduced to reflect it.
Probably would only knock a couple of quid off the fare if that & it has the 'subject to availability' clause.

DDB

Does the pre packed snack bag also apply through the day on EMR (ie not just at breakfast time)? The e-mail suggested so but I wasnt certain.
Yes. My breakfast bag yesterday had a (small) orange juice, breakfast bar, shortbread and bottled water.
My not breakfast bag had crisps, biscuits, biscuits, choc chip muffin and bottled water.
Each bag also contained a hand wipe which I thought was a good touch.
There were also mutiple tea and coffee runs during the journey.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Probably would only knock a couple of quid off the fare if that & it has the 'subject to availability' clause.

That clause, together with the use of the phrase "complimentary", needs to be made illegal. If it's part of the offer (i.e. used as a selling point, rather than it just showing up to your surprise), it should not be discretionary and its absence or modification should be compensatable. To do otherwise is very close to "bait and switch".

raveon

No fry up ?

Had the so-called Breakfast Gill but it’s now served in an ‘airline style’ aluminium box. Just heated onboard rather than freshly cooked. They’re not going to attract premium / business passengers back with it for sure.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Yes. My breakfast bag yesterday had a (small) orange juice, breakfast bar, shortbread and bottled water.
My not breakfast bag had crisps, biscuits, biscuits, choc chip muffin and bottled water.
Each bag also contained a hand wipe which I thought was a good touch.
There were also mutiple tea and coffee runs during the journey.
Doesn't sound bad, and if that's the standard for non breakfast (through the day) then could actually be better than the pre Covid offering.

dk1

Veteran Member
That clause, together with the use of the phrase "complimentary", needs to be made illegal. If it's part of the offer (i.e. used as a selling point, rather than it just showing up to your surprise), it should not be discretionary and its absence or modification should be compensatable. To do otherwise is very close to "bait and switch".
I suppose it covers trains that are not booked to have additional catering enhancements or even catering at all where 1st class passengers with open tickets may also travel. On train catering is notoriously difficult to predict during disruption or equipment failure so there is a need for the footnote. Anybody who feels particular grieved can always contact the relevant companies complaints department.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suppose it covers trains that are not booked to have additional catering enhancements or even catering at all where 1st class passengers with open tickets may also travel. On train catering is notoriously difficult to predict during disruption or equipment failure so there is a need for the footnote. Anybody who feels particular grieved can always contact the relevant companies complaints department.

That fundamentally isn't the passenger's problem. If I booked a hotel with breakfast inclusive and it was not provided, I would expect a partial refund to cover its non-provision as a simple matter of fact (though I suppose with a hotel it's easier to calculate it as there's typically also a no-breakfast rate to refund down to). It's actually worse on a train as you mostly can't just get off and pop for a Sausage and Egg McMuffin instead. (This is the problem with the GWR trolley - you have so little chance of seeing it that you can't plan for it to be there, FWIW).

Status
Not open for further replies.