• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Availability of on-board catering facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Still so many station outlets closed - the footfall some of these companies need to make it worthwhile is still just not there unfortunately.

Burger King and SSP owned pubs on stations are still closed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Cambridge station M&S had reopened yesterday. Made my week.

Noted Oxford was open (M+S) the other day - always reliable for a decent sandwich ! Good to hear that CGE is open - might have a run out there this week and good to know they are for a tuna fix !

dk1

Veteran Member
Noted Oxford was open (M+S) the other day - always reliable for a decent sandwich ! Good to hear that CGE is open - might have a run out there this week and good to know they are for a tuna fix !
I concur good sir. Nearly time for the Festive Feast sarnie. Norwich station still has no signs of reopening sadly.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Burger King and SSP owned pubs on stations are still closed.

Burger King at Paddington was open when I was there last week. But yes many SSP venues remain closed.

The Paddington branch of Burger King was open the other day - alas , not doing much trade. If they don't do much there - the future must be grim.

Well the fact there's a cheaper one 200m up the road on Praed Street doesn't help!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I mind Greggs doing pots of them last year. Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley BK still closed but both Marks are open.

To their utter credit - even in the worst periods of the lock down , the stores that were open , retained the full sandwich range (and never short either , and at the normal prices) - always have used them rather than the "others". Slightly off topic I know.

route101

Established Member
To their utter credit - even in the worst periods of the lock down , the stores that were open , retained the full sandwich range (and never short either , and at the normal prices) - always have used them rather than the "others". Slightly off topic I know.

They offered everything apart from hot baguettes and toasties , which came back recently.

Burger King at Paddington was open when I was there last week. But yes many SSP venues remain closed.

Well the fact there's a cheaper one 200m up the road on Praed Street doesn't help!

Always prefer the High St Burger Kings.

Taunton

Established Member
I had suspected this, but there does seem to be some form of contractual issue between the station catering operators and Network Rail (and maybe TOCs) over rents of the properties in the current situation, which is causing station outlets to stay closed when all around are open.

Article in the news today (sorry, behind a paywall after the introductory paragraph) implies this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...pper-crust-owner-advantage-rail-rents-battle/

Possibly in the contract that if they are closed a lower amount is payable, but once they open up full rents are charged, or similar. Separately there was a statement by TfL a while ago that to deal with their financial issues, one thing they would do was "maximise" their commercial property returns, ie their various retailers. I had to wonder what planet they were on, the market rates for commercial/retail rents in places like stations have fallen off a cliff, and you would never get another tenant in under current conditions, let alone "maximise" your returns.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The Paddington branch of Burger King was open the other day - alas , not doing much trade. If they don't do much there - the future must be grim.

At the moment, the uncertainty over what will and won't be open will likely harm those that do open - because I'm unlikely to wait until I'm on the concourse to discover everything is closed. As such, I'll bring food or buy outside the station/on the way to the station.

It's the same reason onboard catering probably suffers if people aren't sure it exists and spend their money elsewhere.

To me, vending machines on trains would likely have been feel a bit more content that there's a 'backup plan' if a trolley wasn't running. I'd sooner sit at my seat and wait for service, but if it is announced that there isn't one, I can at least know I'll be able to get something*.

* Modern vending machines can report their status, so if they weren't working then a TOC could also announce this fact before departure too.

LowLevel

Established Member
I had suspected this, but there does seem to be some form of contractual issue between the station catering operators and Network Rail (and maybe TOCs) over rents of the properties in the current situation, which is causing station outlets to stay closed when all around are open.

Article in the news today (sorry, behind a paywall after the introductory paragraph) implies this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...pper-crust-owner-advantage-rail-rents-battle/

Possibly in the contract that if they are closed a lower amount is payable, but once they open up full rents are charged, or similar. Separately there was a statement by TfL a while ago that to deal with their financial issues, one thing they would do was "maximise" their commercial property returns, ie their various retailers. I had to wonder what planet they were on, the market rates for commercial/retail rents in places like stations have fallen off a cliff, and you would never get another tenant in under current conditions, let alone "maximise" your returns.

SSP run their business on the basis of treating staff like rubbish with awful pay and conditions, high prices with high yield of sales to cover their rent (even though I believe at legacy outlets where they've always been there (being the privatised BR Traveller's Fare operation) they get more favourable terms than other companies). Quieter stations mess this model up.

They laid off a load of staff at the start and kept the rest on furlough while indulging in rent holidays and were just about the last operator of station outlets to restart operations despite being the largest.

It is a crying shame they've not gone bust and had their units offered at a discounted rate to independent businesses to try and drive a better quality alternative offering and get people through the doors.

Moderator note:

Some posts have been split into the following threads:

Sorry but we ran out of time to split posts relating to station catering; if anyone wishes to discuss catering at stations please create a new thread (if there isn't one already) or use an existing one (if there is).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.