• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-train catering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Just returned from "Running the Border" to Newcastle Today on LNER.

Breakfasts are the worst offering in 1st Class at the moment - one bacon roll and a cup of Coffee - that's your lot. You think they could offer at least a couple ?

Came back directly to Falkirk on the HC.

Ex Newcastle Chicken Sub, Crisps and Coke.

Ex Edinburgh Egg Sandwich, Crisps, Biscuits , Water and 2 Cokes (Scottish Catering Crew).

I was the only passenger in Coach K on the way back and had to make my way up half the train into PC to alight at Falkirk Grahamston.

Trackman

Established Member
On board with Avanti now, menu is pâté with something, cheese and biscuits or poppadoms with dips.
Tea, coffee and water and crisps. Had to ask for the Uglies!

NoOnesFool

I recently travelled First Class on CrossCountry. I made two journeys with them. The service was very prompt, which was great. The Host checked my ticket and offered me a drink. On both occasions though, I wasn't asked if I'd like a biscuit or any other snacks with it. There is no trolley service. The Host just comes through alone and asks what you would like. I was given Seabrook crisps and a premium brand bottle of water. Generally, I'm impressed with the catering, although I would have liked more information as to what the catering is. There were no menus on the table to indicate what was available.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I recently travelled First Class on CrossCountry. I made two journeys with them. The service was very prompt, which was great. The Host checked my ticket and offered me a drink. On both occasions though, I wasn't asked if I'd like a biscuit or any other snacks with it. There is no trolley service. The Host just comes through alone and asks what you would like. I was given Seabrook crisps and a premium brand bottle of water. Generally, I'm impressed with the catering, although I would have liked more information as to what the catering is. There were no menus on the table to indicate what was available.

The catering might be stripped down because of COVID. When I did XC last year they had an extra host in First Class giving out snacks, then sandwiches after edinburgh.

XC do have a decent first class catering offer

NoOnesFool

The catering might be stripped down because of COVID. When I did XC last year they had an extra host in First Class giving out snacks, then sandwiches after edinburgh.

Was it busy?

I was the only person who boarded. I didn't hear any mention of Sandwiches but I know they are available in theory (having looked at the website). I think it's an unwritten rule on XC that you have to ask for substantial items like sandwiches and meals.

Established Member
There's a trolley service on this Norwich bound EMR service I'm on. Catering was loaded at Sheffield, suspect it'll only be available until Nottingham. But it's certainly a step in the right direction. And unlike other TOCs, it's an at seat service too.

LowLevel

Established Member
There's a trolley service on this Norwich bound EMR service I'm on. Catering was loaded at Sheffield, suspect it'll only be available until Nottingham. But it's certainly a step in the right direction. And unlike other TOCs, it's an at seat service too.

There's at least one circuit Sheffield to Norwich and back at the moment. At the moment it's a trial on a few London, Liverpool - Norwich and slightly surprisingly Skegness services.

Established Member
There's at least one circuit Sheffield to Norwich and back at the moment. At the moment it's a trial on a few London, Liverpool - Norwich and slightly surprisingly Skegness services.
I suppose the Skegness services are probably amongst the busier trains at the moment so I can see the logic with that one. Although I don't recall Skegness trains having catering before last March?

LowLevel

Established Member
I suppose the Skegness services are probably amongst the busier trains at the moment so I can see the logic with that one. Although I don't recall Skegness trains having catering before last March?

In the summer they had trolleys on certain services if there were staff available with covering the London service being the priority.

NoOnesFool

Do they go all the way now? It used to be Peterborough only.

Butts

Veteran Member

Are you having a giraffe ?

Compared to LNER & AVANTI they are parsimonious in the extreme.

Not forgetting the lack of free alcohol (in normal times)

Compared to Scotrail they are okay, but that's about the extent of it.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
1st class on EMR on Tuesday, free at seat service of tea/coffee and water plus a snack bag containing plain crisps, a cake bar of some sort and an individual pack of 2 biscoffs.

1st class lounges closed at St. Pancras and Leicester.

Seconds were offered southbound.

Butts

Veteran Member
1st class on EMR on Tuesday, free at seat service of tea/coffee and water plus a snack bag containing plain crisps, a cake bar of some sort and an individual pack of 2 biscoffs.

1st class lounges closed at St. Pancras and Leicester.

Seconds were offered southbound.

My God another tightwad outfit :E ( apart from the seconds - Just imagine they were offering you Scotch )

Killingworth

Established Member
Currently enjoying a coffee on 8.28 from Dore towards Norwich. Experimentally all the way from Sheffield to Norwich. Previously removed at Peterborough. Availability was a pleasant surprise.

(Slight delay at Nottingham as rear two carriages removed and further two added at front.)

Butts

Veteran Member
Free Alcohol in Avanti 1st Class back tonight - Preston to Sandwell & Dudley.

Not the full works but Wine, Beer and Cider available gratis.

No spirits yet, but it's a start !!

philosopher

Established Member
Avanti West Coast had at seat ordering on the Voyager train I was using from Birmingham New Street to London yesterday. I saw two people use it.

Jimini

Established Member
Avanti West Coast had at seat ordering on the Voyager train I was using from Birmingham New Street to London yesterday. I saw two people use it.

Same here but we might have been on the same train (the 1830 from BHM).

Killingworth

Established Member
EMR Liverpool - Nottingham had a trolley aboard from Stockport to Sheffield. Reached the front coach too late for us about Grindleford as we were preparing to leave the far from busy train. In earlier days it wouldn't have been able to move up the first coach of that train due to standees!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
EMR Liverpool - Nottingham had a trolley aboard from Stockport to Sheffield. Reached the front coach too late for us about Grindleford as we were preparing to leave the far from busy train. In earlier days it wouldn't have been able to move up the first coach of that train due to standees!

Stockport to Sheffield is a generally short time no? Around 40 minutes? It seems a bit of a waste to have that trolley for such a short journey. I remember before seeing the trolley coming on/off at Peterborough.

Killingworth

Established Member
Stockport to Sheffield is a generally short time no? Around 40 minutes? It seems a bit of a waste to have that trolley for such a short journey. I remember before seeing the trolley coming on/off at Peterborough.
46 minutes Stockport - Sheffield and was wanting to cash up before Dore. Couldn't take cards. Possibly return working to Sheffield at end of shift?

kingston_toon

Gin and Tonics were available for sale on GWR NWP-PAD on Sunday night. Possibly beer and wine too but I didn't look too closely as I had brought my own.

Just need LNER to pull their finger out now!

Butts

Veteran Member
Had a trip from SAD to EUS last night , got kicked off at Coventry due to problems at HH, but before "around wrekin" diversion onto other operators was enacted the next EUS Service was reinstated.

First time I've seen the Trolley Out in 1st Class for ages - no spirits but lovely Cider available plus other beers and wine. Sandwiches , Snack Boxes , Crisps, Uglies et al.

Got drink on aborted service and another and food on the second.

Free trip due to delay repay and we were not in a hurry.

Well done AVANTI - have those tightwads at LNER brought the free booze back yet ?

kingston_toon

Had a trip from SAD to EUS last night , got kicked off at Coventry due to problems at HH, but before "around wrekin" diversion onto other operators was enacted the next EUS Service was reinstated.

First time I've seen the Trolley Out in 1st Class for ages - no spirits but lovely Cider available plus other beers and wine. Sandwiches , Snack Boxes , Crisps, Uglies et al.

Got drink on aborted service and another and food on the second.

Free trip due to delay repay and we were not in a hurry.

Well done AVANTI - have those tightwads at LNER brought the free booze back yet ?

It's not even really the fact booze isn't available for sale (or free in first class) that annoys me with LNER, it's the fact it's completely banned. Same on ScotRail. I'd usually stop at a nice craft beer bottle shop on the way to the station and buy a few cans of something interesting to drink while watching the world go by but that remains verboten even now.

greyman42

Established Member
I openly drank some cans of beer on a LNER service between London and York and the staff did not bat an eyelid. There was a passenger sat at the other side of the isle who also had a couple of cans.

route101

Established Member
I openly drank some cans of beer on a LNER service between London and York and the staff did not bat an eyelid. There was a passenger sat at the other side of the isle who also had a couple of cans.
See that happen on Scotrail too.

Wonder when Scotrail will bring back catering?

LNER also have at seat ordering, seen someone use it. I still like the walk to the buffet though.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Really impressed with Avanti’s catering this morning, particularly compared to LNER last week. Basically seem to be running the weekend service pre-COVID (cold choices such as cheese and crackers/sandwich etc, with crisps and an Ugly) but with beer (both pale ale and lager), cider and wine available in addition to the usual hot drinks, Pepsi and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.