• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-train catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
It has! Beer and wine only thus far (similar to Avanti over the last couple of months) - no spirits.

Does anyone know why Spirits have not come back yet on Avanti or LNER ....it can hardly be covid related as they are individually packaged.

Hopefully it is not a permanent feature of the service - particularly on Avanti with the advent of SP.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoOnesFool

Does anyone know why Spirits have not come back yet on Avanti or LNER ....it can hardly be covid related as they are individually packaged.

Hopefully it is not a permanent feature of the service - particularly on Avanti with the advent of SP.
The government has brainwashed people in to staying at home, unfortunately. This means less passengers, which means less demand for products. Caterers who have less demand will adopt a reduced menu. This prevents wastage and also the disappointment of not being able to offer what's on the menu. It's sad and I wish it weren't so, but until the government stop messing around with our lives (if they ever do), I can understand why Avanti do this and I appreciate your disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Butts

Veteran Member
The government has brainwashed people in to staying at home, unfortunately. This means less passengers, which means less demand for products. Caterers who have less demand will adopt a reduced menu. This prevents wastage and also the disappointment of not being able to offer what's on the menu. It's sad and I wish it weren't so, but until the government stop messing around with our lives (if they ever do), I can understand why Avanti do this and I appreciate your disappointment.

How are you going to get wastage from sealed Miniature Spirits ?

They are not perishable.

Perhaps it is a cost saving exercise as the cost price of one of them is higher than a can of Lager or Cider.

BA are still serving Malt Whisky on Domestic Flights in Club Europe as opposed to the Blended Variety you used to get on Avanti or LNER.

HBP

It has! Beer and wine only thus far (similar to Avanti over the last couple of months) - no spirits.

I read over the weekend (Twitter & Head for Points) that LNER are now serving complimentary Beer & Wine in 1st Class at the weekend. All good if so. Just need the Gin back.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes served over lots of ice. Travelling with them tomorrow so will see.

Ice....???

You'll be lucky ...."Sorry Guv, No Ice Today"

I read over the weekend (Twitter & Head for Points) that LNER are now serving complimentary Beer & Wine in 1st Class at the weekend. All good if so. Just need the Gin back.

Currently supping Cognac in the BA (Aspire) Lounge at Belfast City Airport just after 6am.

When spirits return on Avanti/LNER they should be available with Breakfast if required.

Last edited:

MDB1images

TPE's on board catering should be returning in the next month or so.
Not sure what form it will be or what will be served
Pretty positive that a demand driven response has seen it brought back earlier than planned

williamn

Today I ate a 3 course lunch on GWR - it was delicious (but not well patronised sadly).

Tomorrow in First Class on Avanti the breakfast offering is a bacon roll 'due to Covid'

How is this the case? All restrictions in England have now been lifted for some time.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to a reliable source, catering will be resuming on some TPE services from next Monday (16 August), increasing each week after that. Due to return to pre-Covid coverage (as indicated in timetable data) from 6 September.

I've been told the offering will be somewhat limited to begin with (particularly in first) but should increase over time as more staff are retrained

dk1

Veteran Member
According to a reliable source, catering will be resuming on some TPE services from next Monday (16 August), increasing each week after that. Due to return to pre-Covid coverage (as indicated in timetable data) from 6 September.

I've been told the offering will be somewhat limited to begin with (particularly in first) but should increase over time as more staff are retrained
Such a poor show from them compared to many other TOCs.

dk1

Veteran Member
Scotrail have nothing at all and haven’t confirmed when it’s coming back!
It’s just so strange. Is this something to do with furlough & therefore the dreadful lack of commitment? Such a shame they ain’t in house like others.

scotrail158713

Established Member

I travelled on a TPE service yesterday and heard the same from the guard as well. Better late than never I suppose!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Such a poor show from them compared to many other TOCs.
I believe TPE's catering is contracted out, so it's entirely feasible that a percentage of the staff involved have found jobs elsewhere.

As such, they're presumably hedging their bets whilst they see how many return over the coming weeks.

Killingworth

Established Member
TPE had a catering trolley on the lead unit of their 7.07 from Sheffield on Tuesday. 13 boarded at Dore. Last January it would probably have been 100+ but it is school holidays and a bank holiday week.

westv

Established Member
Hull Trains were saying this morning that they don't have the standard class trolley yet due to "safety" but didn't explain how they can still have catering in First Class though.

dk1

Veteran Member
Hull Trains were saying this morning that they don't have the standard class trolley yet due to "safety" but didn't explain how they can still have catering in First Class though.
Isnt that done from a galley or are the 802s different?

Butts

Veteran Member

Or how they manage on planes with a much narrower pathway for stewards to navigate ?

Jamesrob637

Established Member

There was catering on the 12:26 Cleethorpes to Piccadilly on Monday 16th of August. A welcome addition.

Killingworth

Established Member
Trolley on eastbound TPE 17.18 to Cleethorpes yesterday didn't seem to be doing much trade. We've got used to managing without and refreshments are increasingly available at stations. On a 6 coach train he was in the relatively less heavily loaded first of the two 3 car units. We boarded the first coach at Stockport and just missed his pass down the train. By the time he came back we were too near Sheffield to be worth buying.

Difficult economics with that!

LowLevel

Established Member
EMR Rail Gourmet hosts are back in small numbers on some routes, though they are for example no longer deployed on the Corby electrics. They've been working Liverpool - Peterborough, Nottingham to Skegness and London to Nottingham/Sheffield.

Most remunerative has apparently been Skegness flogging tea, coffee and beer to daytrippers.

Interestingly one of the hosts tells me they intend to trial the trolley on different routes to gauge whether there is potential for it to be used more effectively than it's normal routes - Nottingham - Grimsby and Norwich and Peterborough to Doncaster having been mentioned.

Killingworth

Established Member
EMR Rail Gourmet hosts are back in small numbers on some routes, though they are for example no longer deployed on the Corby electrics. They've been working Liverpool - Peterborough, Nottingham to Skegness and London to Nottingham/Sheffield.

Most remunerative has apparently been Skegness flogging tea, coffee and beer to daytrippers.

Interestingly one of the hosts tells me they intend to trial the trolley on different routes to gauge whether there is potential for it to be used more effectively than it's normal routes - Nottingham - Grimsby and Norwich and Peterborough to Doncaster having been mentioned.
It can hardly get aboard 2 car Liverpool - Norwich services so after a trial may have been suspended for now. No shortage of customers, just space!

westv

Established Member
It's a pity I won't be offered anything more than non breakfasty sandwiches when I travel down to the office in London on the first Hull Trains service of the day next Wednesday.

island

Veteran Member
The main thing that kills demand for on-train catering is inconsistent on-train catering.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The main thing that kills demand for on-train catering is inconsistent on-train catering.
And expensive on-train catering.

If someone feels that they are not guaranteed to get a reasonably priced meal/snack/drink from the onboard trolley they will just forgo it and bring something with them instead.

route101

Established Member
And expensive on-train catering.

If someone feels that they are not guaranteed to get a reasonably priced meal/snack/drink from the onboard trolley they will just forgo it and bring something with them instead.

Warm beer and soft drinks for me.

Rarely buy anything unless in a hurry or boarding from smaller station.

Killingworth

Established Member
It was do different 40 years ago. I'd take a train from Brough or Chesterfield for business meetings in London and always had a 3 course meal in the dining car on my way back. Travelling second class I could effectively travel first that way. Meal lasted beyond Doncaster or Derby so never had to move out. Good menus and they never failed to be served. Because I got home after 7 I could claim for it too. Happy days.

Train catering today can't be relied upon. If it can it's useful. I last got a sandwich on an East Midlands Sheffiejd - Manchester when I'd been unable to board the overcrowded preceding TPE service (how roles have reversed today) and was running too late to eat at my destination. As it is I may have a tea or coffee, but otherwise I'll not chance it and eat elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.