• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One-way systems - good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I’d assumed the long walk at Tottenham was due to the building works that seems to have been going on forever. Was there a period where this had been removed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Interesting... only yesterday the exit was still both ways out of the Underground.

Re: Tottenham Hale, that reminds me I meant to check recently if they still have the conflicting flow on the older bridge at the London end of the station, but i forgot to have a look ( see earlier in this thread for what exactly they did there! )
At 1800 the situation was as you describe. Maybe they remove the barriers for the peak? In which case why have the system at all?

Tottenham Hale is old footbridge to get from the up to the down side and the underground whilst the new footbridge is for getting from the down side to the up. Not sure how you're supposed to get from the down side to the underground, though hardly anyone would want to do that.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
At 1800 the situation was as you describe. Maybe they remove the barriers for the peak? In which case why have the system at all?

Tottenham Hale is old footbridge to get from the up to the down side and the underground whilst the new footbridge is for getting from the down side to the up. Not sure how you're supposed to get from the down side to the underground, though hardly anyone would want to do that.
It was Saturday and mid afternoon on Monday when I was able to turn right coming up from the Circle at Liverpool Street, so off peak in both my instances.

For Tottenham Hale, last autumn they had the situation ( and this is the one I keep meaning to check if it's still like that but I keep forgetting to ) where at one end of the old footbridge it is ( or was ) keep left and the other end of the same footbridge it is keep right...

trainophile

Established Member
M&S Southport lost my custom yesterday. Coming out of the station, the rear door that everyone uses is signed "out of use" (I don't know if it's in use for exiting only), so instead of walking all around the front and entering via the shopping precinct I went to Sainsbury's instead. I bet I'm not the only one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The one way system exiting the jubilee line at Waterloo causes more conflicts as those transferring from the underground have to exit before re-entering the station, using the same exit used by those heading out of the station towards the bus stops/shops on Waterloo Road.

timothyw9

At Manchester Piccadilly they eventually phased out the one way system about month ago. It appears they have 'tried' to bring it back though as some new signage has appeared on the section where the original one way system was.

Oddly enough literally no one follows it.

What baffles me is it is setup so that you walk on the right, which to me makes no sense.

davews

The Waterloo (Jubilee) entry/exit is confusing, walked straight into the exit from the road the other day before realising I was wrong. Achieves very little.

Crossover

Established Member
Happily, the "Keep Right" stickers that were covering the "Keep Left" ones at Huddersfield station are all now in the bin, hopefully never to return :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Happily, the "Keep Right" stickers that were covering the "Keep Left" ones at Huddersfield station are all now in the bin, hopefully never to return :D
That was the most pointless exercise ever; I tried really hard to think how keeping right may help over keeping left and could not think of any reason whatsoever.

At Chesterfield, while it was over the top and unwarranted, I could see their reasoning: people entering the station are more likely to want to visit the ticket office (to their right) while those exiting are less likely. But at Huddersfield? No reason I could deduce whatsoever!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Liverpool Street underground entrance completely back to normal.

In Cardiff the one way system on the stairs is still there along with the bored people standing there to enforce it. The stairs are quite wide with a central banister. Almost as wide as the subway which has two way traffic. Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Jamiescott1

Yesterday they started to dismantle the one way system at Marylebone.
Stickers still on the floor but the fencing has gone

Bikeman78

Established Member
Despite restrictions being being relaxed in Wales over the weekend, the one way systems at Cardiff and Newport are still there. This was widely ignored at Cardiff Central, much to the irritation of the man trying to enforce it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was at Clapham Junction yesterday and the one way system is gone (woohoo!).

Nice to be able to use the subway again

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has the last of the ludicrous one way systems fallen or are there any more yet to go?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Has the last of the ludicrous one way systems fallen or are there any more yet to go?
Are we talking just stations, or in general?

My local leisure centre still has its one way system through the changing rooms, though people are almost entirely ignoring it now.

It's also kept the system of separate entrance and exit doors, but given I've long held the opinion they should have built it like that from new, I'm not really too bothered!

LAX54

Established Member
On a slightly different tack, Specsavers in Colchester: You still have to wait to be called into the store, and there are chairs on the street where you sit and wait 'for the call'
Tesco in Clacton, still one door in, and one door out, but you have to squeeze past people on a narrow path in order to either exit or gain access !

Crossover

Established Member
Are we talking just stations, or in general?

My local leisure centre still has its one way system through the changing rooms, though people are almost entirely ignoring it now.

It's also kept the system of separate entrance and exit doors, but given I've long held the opinion they should have built it like that from new, I'm not really too bothered!
I visited Alpamare in Scarborough at the weekend with my other half and her kids. There were arrows on the floor of the changing rooms but they were being completely ignored. The pool and shower areas, naturally, were a free for all, regardless

MikeWM

Established Member
Ely's one-way system - enter through the ticket office, exit around either side of the station building - was still there on Saturday. Barely anyone actually seems to follow it though (I never have).

trainophile

Established Member
Just boarded a train from platform 10 at Manchester Piccadilly. Headed for the entrance for 10, where there was a young lady standing guard. I had my tickets in my hand and went to show them to her, only to be told I couldn’t go onto the platform that way and must use the 11/12 entrance. There wasn’t another soul in the vicinity at the time. I’m afraid I gave her the :rolleyes: look although I know it wasn’t her fault.

As an aside, the gestapo checking tickets as you leave the platform area now also insist on seeing railcards too. I know they are within their rights to ask, but it seems a bit excessive. Can understand being asked on the train as you have both hands free to fish it out, but it’s a nuisance when you’re carrying luggage and have only got your ticket out. I will be prepared in future.

Jamiescott1

Marylebone removed theirs and instead used the barriers no longer needed for the one way system to provide a longer detour to access the tube station.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just boarded a train from platform 10 at Manchester Piccadilly. Headed for the entrance for 10, where there was a young lady standing guard. I had my tickets in my hand and went to show them to her, only to be told I couldn’t go onto the platform that way and must use the 11/12 entrance. There wasn’t another soul in the vicinity at the time. I’m afraid I gave her the :rolleyes: look although I know it wasn’t her fault.

As an aside, the gestapo checking tickets as you leave the platform area now also insist on seeing railcards too. I know they are within their rights to ask, but it seems a bit excessive. Can understand being asked on the train as you have both hands free to fish it out, but it’s a nuisance when you’re carrying luggage and have only got your ticket out. I will be prepared in future.

Piccadilly is ridiculous - there was no one manning the door to P13/14 so naturally I walked through, ticket in hand. I got chased down and shouted at because there were apparently people on the door (there was at this point, but when I originally walked through no one was there).

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I was at Clapham Junction yesterday and the one way system is gone (woohoo!).

Nice to be able to use the subway again
It’s not completely gone.
The part of the wide footbridge that gives access to the lower-numbered platforms still has some fencing. I bought some stolen watches & a Ming vase ;)

Andyh82

Established Member
If all the one way systems have now pretty much gone, it looks like I’m the grand scheme of things they didn’t really disrupt our lives as much as they were made out to do.

Considering we were in lockdown half the time they were in use, walking the long way around a railway station a handful of times wasn’t really worth all the kick back that I read about here.

It’ll just be a distant memory to recall like when we used to have to queue outside supermarkets for about half a year in our entire lives.

londonteacher

As an aside, the gestapo checking tickets as you leave the platform area now also insist on seeing railcards too. I know they are within their rights to ask, but it seems a bit excessive. Can understand being asked on the train as you have both hands free to fish it out, but it’s a nuisance when you’re carrying luggage and have only got your ticket out
Slightly off topic but as you point out they have every right to ask to see the railcard and actually I am pleased that they are asking!

Not quite sure the language of 'gestapo' is particularly helpful unless you really do mean they are Nazis?

Cdd89

Established Member
Slightly off topic but as you point out they have every right to ask to see the railcard and actually I am pleased that they are asking!
Mine is stored in a very inaccessible part of my wallet, on the basis that I’m only asked a handful of times per year. If it increases I may have to promote its placement!

londonteacher

Mine is stored in a very inaccessible part of my wallet, on the basis that I’m only asked a handful of times per year. If it increases I may have to promote its placement!
Mine is on my phone which is annoying when I use digital tickets and have to switch between the apps!

Status
Not open for further replies.