• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One-way systems - good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

davews

The Magor services on the M4 still has a one way system - with metal chains and posts, looks more like roadworks barriers than what you would expect inside a cafe. Together with huge arrows on the floor. Plenty of kids jumping over the chains, and rather spoiled at the entrance which was a normal wide door with no barrier between the in and out sides.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

The Magor services on the M4 still has a one way system - with metal chains and posts, looks more like roadworks barriers than what you would expect inside a cafe. Together with huge arrows on the floor. Plenty of kids jumping over the chains, and rather spoiled at the entrance which was a normal wide door with no barrier between the in and out sides.
A local Waitrose has a sort of porch at its entrance. If the store itself is south, the doors were east and west. They had entry on west side and exit on the east with a barrier between the two. That's now gone and circulation is as normal. "west" is the marginally shorter route to and from the car park.

MikeWM

Established Member
Margate station still had some approximation to a one-way system in the booking hall when I passed through yesterday, but its only purpose appeared to be preventing passengers buying tickets when arriving at the station, so I'm not sure it helped much!

In better news, Ely seems to have finally removed theirs.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A local Waitrose has a sort of porch at its entrance. If the store itself is south, the doors were east and west. They had entry on west side and exit on the east with a barrier between the two. That's now gone and circulation is as normal. "west" is the marginally shorter route to and from the car park.
Tesco’s seem to have kept theirs at a branch I visited in Birmingham this afternoon. The changing rooms in the clothing dep’t were also closed, and they have also kept their red and green lights above the door.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The one way system at Cardiff Central has finally gone. The subway seems much wider without it.

Sainsburys has removed all the barriers relating to queues and one way systems by the doors. The cycle racks are available for bikes again, rather than being a trolley storage space.

davews

Our Tesco has a pile of barbecue bricks and other stuff as a barrier between the entry and exit doors. The amount of those sundries has gradually diminished in recent weeks but still there, I imagine there will soon be a gap.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If all the one way systems have now pretty much gone, it looks like I’m the grand scheme of things they didn’t really disrupt our lives as much as they were made out to do.

Considering we were in lockdown half the time they were in use, walking the long way around a railway station a handful of times wasn’t really worth all the kick back that I read about here.

It’ll just be a distant memory to recall like when we used to have to queue outside supermarkets for about half a year in our entire lives.

Try doing the Leeds one with a tight connection !

KT550

Still one at Hastings today.
An official in a hi-viz jacket asking you to enter through the coffee shop/ticket machine area which is more crowded than the main door.

johnnychips

Established Member
Donny and Sheffield stations have removed their one way systems. The number of people interacting with each other, and therefore spreading the deadly virus is actually less as people aren’t funnelled into man-made corridors, but actually spaced out.

davews

Although the one way systems have gone at Clapham Junction there is still a lot of keep left/right tape on all the stairways. Most bizzare is the gents, still one urinal and hand drier blocked off leaving a grand total of one of each.... but at least nobody at the door controlling 'the flow' and trying to stop the unmasked like me going in (I think that was what he was mumbling).

Status
Not open for further replies.