• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online job interview: What would you wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
I have a job interview next week (NHS). After 22 years in clinical, I'm pondering an internal move up in to management. It's being held via MS Teams from home.

In times gone past I'd have dusted off my suit for an in person interview, but that seems a bit daft for sitting in my living room. I suppose I could wear clinical uniform, but again that would seem a bit odd for home. What would you recommend? (male BTW)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes I think either shirt and tie with no jacket or shirt and jacket with no tie. I think that strikes the right balance between being dressed professionally for a serious meeting but without looking a bit silly being suited and booted in your own living room.

Obviously the lower half which is out of sight is trackie bottoms ;)

adc82140

Established Member
Yes I think either shirt and tie with no jacket or shirt and jacket with no tie. I think that strikes the right balance between being dressed professionally for a serious meeting but without looking a bit silly being suited and booted in your own living room.

Thanks. Although trackie bottoms is overdressed. I was considering just my undies :lol::lol:

TravelDream

I have a job interview next week (NHS). After 22 years in clinical, I'm pondering an internal move up in to management. It's being held via MS Teams from home.

Having not worked for the NHS, I don't know the internal culture. What do managers normally wear to work?

You need to be dressed at least as smartly as the people interviewing you. If they are in a full suit, you should be too.

Though, as general advice, I agree with the person above that either a shirt and tie (without jacket) or a shirt and jacket (without tie) are typically quite appropriate.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd wear the same as you would wear to an in-person interview. If that would be a suit and tie, ditto. It's hard to make a bad impression by dressing smarter than they were expecting.

PeterY

Established Member
I think I'd wear a suit and tie because it'd make me feel the more confident and treating it like a real interview scenario.

Trackman

Established Member

Shirt and tie with me, oddly enough I wear proper trousers and shoes in case I have to stand up or anything.. you never know.

najaB

Veteran Member
I think I'd wear a suit and tie because it'd make me feel the more confident and treating it like a real interview scenario.
That's the important thing - wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable and confident.

adc82140

Established Member
Thanks all. Because it's an internal promotion, I know the guys interviewing already. I'll probably go for a shirt and jacket combo.

If I get the job, I go from writing the narky emails to responding to them!

nlogax

Established Member
I've been interviewing quite a few candidates over recent years. In the IT field (not IT sales which is a entirely different kettle of fish) male interviewees tend to be most comfortable in suits / smart shirts / no ties.

For Zoom interviews since early 2020 this has continued, certainly on the top half anyway!

3rd rail land

Personally I'd just wear a shirt and chinos for an online interview. It's what I'd wear if I were going to the office and in my company even that is overdressed these days.
I'd be surprised if the interviewers were wearing a suit ad tie. I think the workplace has generally become more casual in what is worn. That said the male top brass, directors and suchlike, will probably still wear a suit but no tie to the office though.

I once did an online interview and the interviewers were at home wearing casual clothes so by wearing a shirt and chinos I was easily the most smartly dressed.

In fact I've been to on site interviews where the instruction has been to dress down when everyone dresses pretty casually in the office, In those situation I opt for a shirt and jeans with smart trainers.

Status
Not open for further replies.