• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Returns and seat Reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverSpeed

Hello all

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on something for me, last week I purchased a open return from Rugby to Axminster, from Trainline.

I am now on the outward journey, which was last Sunday; it sent me via Watford Junction and Clapham junc on Avanti, Southern and south west trains respectively.

The return journey, which is tomorrow, is not sending me via a fixed route, so can I travel say via Exeter st. davids or board the train at a later station, say for instance Bristol parkway?

And if so do I need to catch a designated train (as it will be a cross country service) so I can reserve a seat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
If you can get a journey planner to show this route for your ticket (test it for a few days ahead!) then that makes it valid (I am afraid I can't check).
In that case starting short at BPW is fine.
XC do ask you to reserve a space, and for a Sunday that is sensible, but AIUI this is not enforced.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The return journey, which is tomorrow, is not sending me via a fixed route, so can I travel say via Exeter st. davids or board the train at a later station, say for instance Bristol parkway?
Are you asking if you can travel from Rugby to Axminster via Birmingham and Exeter?

This is a permitted route (technical info: traceable on maps BI+PB) however the onboard staff may charge you an excess fare of £8 (half the difference between the +via London and Not via London fares), assuming you have an undiscounted Off Peak Return (SVR)

Once you know the trains you intend to catch, yes you can reserve a seat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.