• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Train Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Why do some maps on Open Train Times (OTT) show signal aspects and locations and some don't.

If you look at this one which covers Euston:

http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/lec1

it doen't show any signals from the buffer stops to approx Harlesden Jn

where as with this one which covers Waterloo (Main):

http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/wat

It shows all the signals (aspects and locations)

Also speaking of the Waterloo map, where the "intended platform notes" are, are they entered manually by the signaller or does it display based on booked platform allocations having been programmed in, in advance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Broadly speaking, it depends on the specification of the train describer (part of the signalling system) in the area concerned. If it is specified to output 'S Class messaging', then data relating to signal aspects is in the output, and this goes to the NR open data live feeds.

If the train describer doesn't output s class messaging, then no signal aspects are seen by the live feeds.

More info here

http://nrodwiki.rockshore.net/index.php/S_Class_Messages

Very broadly, all new train describers can do S Class, and have done for around 15 years. Anywhere resignalled, or with a new train describer in that time will normally have the capability. There are exceptions of course.

Poggs

Why do some maps on Open Train Times (OTT) show signal aspects and locations and some don't.

As explained above, not all train describers support sending out data which includes signal aspects and route indications. Wembley Mainline, for example, doesn't - but the Watford WestCAD which covers Wembley Central to Kings Langley.

Also speaking of the Waterloo map, where the "intended platform notes" are, are they entered manually by the signaller or does it display based on booked platform allocations having been programmed in, in advance?

They're entered automatically by the Waterloo ARS (Automatic Route Setting) system.

(disclosure: I run OpenTrainTimes)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...They're entered automatically by the Waterloo ARS (Automatic Route Setting) system.

Which reminds me, have you got the changes to the P1-7 area at Waterloo sitting on the back burner for eventually modifying the diagram?

I noticed that the International side changes were done a while back, well before they came into use again...

crehld

Established Member
Could a suggest a quick lookup index where one could input/choose a station name, and then be informed which map (if any) covers that area?

You mean just like the lookup function it already has?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 109

Poggs

Which reminds me, have you got the changes to the P1-7 area at Waterloo sitting on the back burner for eventually modifying the diagram?

I noticed that the International side changes were done a while back, well before they came into use again...

I'm working on the diagram right now actually. I've taken a bit of a break to concentrate on projects which bring in the money so I can pay rent and bills.

Hopefully I'll have the updated diagram out tomorrow afternoon.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm working on the diagram right now actually. I've taken a bit of a break to concentrate on projects which bring in the money so I can pay rent and bills.

Thanks for the reply. No criticism was intended of course - anything you do is a bonus as far as I'm concerned... :D

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Thanks again, new diagram now appeared.

I think there must be a route missing from P5/P6 to the DMF though, as train IDs are jumping from W9 or W11 straight to W53.

Scotrail84

Established Member
As explained above, not all train describers support sending out data which includes signal aspects and route indications. Wembley Mainline, for example, doesn't - but the Watford WestCAD which covers Wembley Central to Kings Langley.

They're entered automatically by the Waterloo ARS (Automatic Route Setting) system.

Do you? More Scottish maps please. :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've found that Traksy seems to have greater coverage but that OTT has more detail (more often it has signal aspects, TRTS indication, what routes are set between signals, etc) so I tend to use OTT where available.

takno

Established Member
I've found that Traksy seems to have greater coverage but that OTT has more detail (more often it has signal aspects, TRTS indication, what routes are set between signals, etc) so I tend to use OTT where available.

Signal aspect and route coverage isn't too bad in Scotland, but it's definitely the case that I've concentrated on getting more areas covered with basic maps. I think I may have the whole country covered by the end of this week, so that may change depending on priorities

Crossover

Established Member

I found sound some inaccuracies in Traksy too - there was a situation whereby a train I was on recently used a crossover which apparently doesn't exist on Traksy. I believe OTT showed the correct track layout

takno

Established Member
I found sound some inaccuracies in Traksy too - there was a situation whereby a train I was on recently used a crossover which apparently doesn't exist on Traksy. I believe OTT showed the correct track layout

Please do report these. There are certainly a few errors on the maps, as well as ongoing network changes which don't get reflected straight away. I do revisit them regularly, but I'm not going to catch them all on my own!

Crossover

Established Member
Please do report these. There are certainly a few errors on the maps, as well as ongoing network changes which don't get reflected straight away. I do revisit them regularly, but I'm not going to catch them all on my own!

The problem was here
https://traksy.uk/live/M+29+BSNGSTK

We came from Reading (Bramley) and I was expecting us to take p3 given the maps. However, we took to p2 which I was really not expecting. Looking at OTT, it seems like it may be possibly to get to/from the Reading line from any platform at Basingstoke

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Signal aspect and route coverage isn't too bad in Scotland, but it's definitely the case that I've concentrated on getting more areas covered with basic maps. I think I may have the whole country covered by the end of this week, so that may change depending on priorities

Yes I suppose it's just a difference in approach and I, for one, certainly appreciate the wide coverage that is provided by Traksy! Since it was brought to my attention it's proving an indispensable tool in my journeys.

takno

Established Member
The problem was here
https://traksy.uk/live/M+29+BSNGSTK

We came from Reading (Bramley) and I was expecting us to take p3 given the maps. However, we took to p2 which I was really not expecting. Looking at OTT, it seems like it may be possibly to get to/from the Reading line from any platform at Basingstoke

Thanks, checking up on the sectional appendix there is a crossover all the way. I've corrected the map. Happy to get reports of any issues as emails to info at traksy.uk, PMs here or messages on Facebook

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks, checking up on the sectional appendix there is a crossover all the way. I've corrected the map. Happy to get reports of any issues as emails to info at traksy.uk, PMs here or messages on Facebook

Now following on Facebook so will advise if I spot anything :)

FlippyFF

There's a problem with Traksy's Ebbsfleet map which I have previously reported - the layout for P4 and the non-sop coast bound tracks are wrong.
It should be an island for platforms 2&3 and the back of P4 adjacent to the track for P3. The platform edge for P4 is to the 'north' and the non-stop line to the north of that.

@Poggs, I think there is an issue with trains approaching Ashford from Sevington - they don't seem appear passing through the respective blocks, IIRC they don't appear at signals 712, 708 and 704.

Simon

takno

Established Member
There's a problem with Traksy's Ebbsfleet map which I have previously reported - the layout for P4 and the non-sop coast bound tracks are wrong.

Fixed. Oddly I remember doing the fix before, but there was one occasion before I got version control sorted when I lost half a dozen fixes, so it might have been one of those.

Incidentally, I *think* I've got everywhere mapped that gets data now. Difficult to be absolutely certain, but if there are any places which definitely do provide data but aren't mapped then feel free to point them out

Status
Not open for further replies.