• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OpenTTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Who here has played OpenTTD?

It's a free open source simulation based on Transport Tycoon Deluxe (TTD) and can be downloaded here: https://www.openttd.org/downloads/openttd-releases/latest.html

Once installed you can use the in-game menus to install graphics updates, known as NewGRFs.

We have a multiplayer game going for forum members; if you are interested in joining please do get in touch.

Does anyone here with experience of NewGRFs have any recommendations for which we should use in our multiplayer game?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I remember the original-original game of Transport Tycoon. It came out when you bought PC games in a massive A4 sized Cardboard box and inside was a CD rom in a CD Jewel case! Quickly became addicted to the game on my spotty teenage years.

Then Transport Tycoon Deluxe came along, again it was bought in the obligatory Cardboard box. Added some extra features and functionality. My favourite was the streamlined single decker bus that vaguely looked like the Wright Eclipse buses that were taking to the roads. In the Deluxe game was a very interesting West of England map and it was a fun decision game of who got a bus service and who got a train service! Another great map is here - https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=29835 it uses the South American map and trains but a really engaging map with competitors and you are essentially forced to use trains to carry cargo with little potential to carry passengerts.

The game engine ran on DOS and was therefore would not work well on modern day computers.

Then the heros that developed Open TTD. I use the UK Renewal Train Set as its the most comprehensive set and leaves very little lacking, but I've also used the Pacer and the Class 313, 314 and 315 sets.

Open TTD proves that the original game even to this very day is still a very playable game.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@WestCountry has suggested:

• UKRS2(+)
  • FIRS (temperate basic, or go for Extreme?)
  • OpenGFX+ Landscape/Trees
  • Bob's British Buses
  • Bob and Ameecher's Tram Set
  • SQUID ships
  • Rural Stations
  • Suburban Stations
  • Dutch Station Set + additions
  • Either eGRVTS or Road Hog

Any thoughts on that?

Also does everyone have to download them manually? or would they get them from the server when connecting?

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
@WestCountry has suggested:

• UKRS2(+)
  • FIRS (temperate basic, or go for Extreme?)
  • OpenGFX+ Landscape/Trees
  • Bob's British Buses
  • Bob and Ameecher's Tram Set
  • SQUID ships
  • Rural Stations
  • Suburban Stations
  • Dutch Station Set + additions
  • Either eGRVTS or Road Hog

Any thoughts on that?

Also does everyone have to download them manually? or would they get them from the server when connecting?

I like those suggestions

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I use Japanese stations, always consider this an essential criteria, as you can have office blocks and stuff on top of stations.

As well as this, any set that includes buffers!

sftfan1909

There are a few different UK railway ones, I think there's BRTrains and BRStations, then you can get things like UK towns and roads. If you add them to the server there should be a button people can click when joining to download any missing GRFs. Have you looked at the jgrpp patch? Adds a lot of useful features like departure boards and timetables

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@WestCountry

I am not sure which FIRS to get?
Bob and Ameecher's Tram Set now appears to be 'BATS'
I cant find SQUID ships, but can find FISH 2 or FISH ship set
Regarding GRVTS, should that be eGRVTS2?

Will everyone have to download these before connecting, or will they be transferred automatically?

And how do I activate them? It says they downloaded but they don't appear when I press rescan files and also says "0 NewGRFs scanned out of an estimated 12 NewGRFs"

Last edited:

Myb

FIRS3 is the latest version. FIRS2 is still available in cases where other GRFs are not compatible with FIRS3 (for example the CFF/SBB train set [which I recommend by the way]).
I can't find SQUID any more either, it can be downloaded here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/fish/releases/LATEST/docs/html/get_started.html
GRVTS is indeed eGRVTS2

In a multiplayer game, they will be downloaded automatically provided they are still available on the public repository.

To activate them, checkout the NewGRF Settings screen available on the main menu. Select the GRFs on the lower list (Inactive NewGRF files) and click on the Add button to move them to the upper list containing the GRFs that will be used on the next game.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ok thanks, I have that sorted.

the next game is tonight from 1845

Anything else I should get ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Next game tonight from around 19:00

If anyone has any final requests for NewGRFs please post them by 18:30 today.

If anyone wishes to join and doesn't have the server details please contact me.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got Japan Set 3 - Stations
and
Generic Buffer Stops

sftfan1909

I sent you a message a few days ago

If we don't already have them, uk towns/roads, industrial stations renewal, uk railway set tracks

Dave W

I’m back amongst OpenTTD now my laptop is fixed. UKRS3 has just been released but that’s a little more like the original game’s train set with updated graphics. Iron Horse 2.5 is also excellent - fictional locos and wagons but with a very definite British Edge.

I uploaded Alexandra Palace and British Stations 0.0.4 as they were developed by a long gone user of TT Forums and I was getting bombarded with requests when I used them in my screenshots back in the day. They have a very nice British theme and some of the artwork is really nice. Cardiff Central, Birmingham Moor St and Kings Cross are standouts, amongst some nice other bits.

Timberwolf’s British Vehicles are nice and there are some British Waypoints (signalboxes) knocking about too.

My all time favourite game... Enioy!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Next game is tonight. If anyone else wishes to join us, please do get in touch

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We are going to be continuing our online games next week.

Anyone else interested?

All you need to do is install OpenTTD; any NewGRFs that are required will be downloaded automatically.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This will take place on Wednesdays during lockdown, 19:00 starting today

Connections available from 18:45

It's a free game, available from https://www.openttd.org/downloads/openttd-releases/latest.html

Next game is in two days time.

If anyone else is up for this, please let me know before the end of tomorrow, when I will add everyone who has expressed an interest into a conversation to get it organised.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Next game is in two days time.

If anyone else is up for this, please let me know before the end of tomorrow, when I will add everyone who has expressed an interest into a conversation to get it organised.

Master Trams

@yorkie I'd be interested in playing. I'd have to reinstall it on my phone (as have recently transitioned to PC, which I can only use at weekends...), but have been a player of OpenTTD for at least the last 6 years (ever since I moved to the UK)

@yorkie I'd be interested in playing. I'd have to reinstall it on my phone (as have recently transitioned to PC, which I can only use at weekends...), but have been a player of OpenTTD for at least the last 6 years (ever since I moved to the UK)
Having now reinstalled it on my phone, the version is .10.3.9
Is this compatible with the server?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.