• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orient Express Film & Norway Query TV Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

1. I was watching a 1985 film "Romance on the Orient Express" not for the content of the film, but for the rail scenes, which were very good. It was following the journey of the VSOE from Venice to Paris, (with onward travel on the train for London, I presume then via Calais or Boulogne) most of the scenes on and of the train looked genuine until it arrived in Paris, where it appeared to be arriving and departing at The Gare d'Austerlitz, surely that should have been the Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord? Did that train either when in regular service or when it was bought back by VSOE/Belmond ever use Gare d'Austerlitz?

2. I saw the Channel 5 scenic rail journeys programme a few days ago about the Bergen to Oslo line which was interesting, I have been on that journey 3 times, the first in about 1978/78, then in 2001 and again about 4/5 years ago. Have the services been taken over by another operator? When I travelled on the trains there, they were operated by Norwegian Railways and the main livery was red, however on the TV programmes, the trains were green and on the seatbacks/headrest, it seemed to be VR or VY which I thought was the Finnish Rail company?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Good morning,

1. I was watching a 1985 film "Romance on the Orient Express" not for the content of the film, but for the rail scenes, which were very good. It was following the journey of the VSOE from Venice to Paris, (with onward travel on the train for London, I presume then via Calais or Boulogne) most of the scenes on and of the train looked genuine until it arrived in Paris, where it appeared to be arriving and departing at The Gare d'Austerlitz, surely that should have been the Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord? Did that train either when in regular service or when it was bought back by VSOE/Belmond ever use Gare d'Austerlitz?

2. I saw the Channel 5 scenic rail journeys programme a few days ago about the Bergen to Oslo line which was interesting, I have been on that journey 3 times, the first in about 1978/78, then in 2001 and again about 4/5 years ago. Have the services been taken over by another operator? When I travelled on the trains there, they were operated by Norwegian Railways and the main livery was red, however on the TV programmes, the trains were green and on the seatbacks/headrest, it seemed to be VR or VY which I thought was the Finnish Rail company?

Thanks.

With regard to your second question, Norwegian State Railways (NSB) was rebranded Vy in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.