• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Other Rail & Transport section changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Following a recent staff meeting, as well as a number of user comments, we have decided to trial changes to the 'Other Rail & Transport' Section.

The 'Other Public Transport' Forum will be renamed to 'Light Rail, Metro & Trams,' and here we will encourage discussion of light rail, Tram and rail-based metro systems that are either operational, proposed or under construction in the UK.

The 'London Underground' Subforum will become a Forum and therefore will appear on the homepage to give this area further prominence.

A completely new Forum has been created simply called 'Other Transport' and this remains for any other forms of transport, either public or private. This will include aviation and maritime (including canals, urban ferries, cruises and shipping) that would previously have been in the 'Other Public Transport' Forum, but we would also welcome discussion here about taxis, roads and driving, as well as active transport and streetscape design features affecting transport that would previously have been in 'General Discussion.'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
This sounds like an excellent idea.

I note that a variety of threads from the General forum have now been moved to "Other Transport"

Iskra

Established Member
An excellent idea.

Aviation seems pretty popular, could it warrant its own forum to promote further discussion?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Another thought - do some of the posts in "Other Transport" possibly warrant pinning, given that they have fairly generic topics? Possibly the aviation discussion thread, the cyclist thread, and suchlike

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aviation seems pretty popular, could it warrant its own forum to promote further discussion?
We do keep things under review so will keep this in mind. It might help the visibility of aviation discussion if people posted threads rather than just using the master thread ;)
Another thought - do some of the posts in "Other Transport" possibly warrant pinning, given that they have fairly generic topics? Possibly the aviation discussion thread, the cyclist thread, and suchlike

We don't use sticky threads for this purpose I'm sorry to say. They are primarily used for important information relevant to a sub-forum (apart from a few edge cases).

scotrail158713

Established Member
It’ll take a couple of days to get used to, but not a problem. It’s definitely a sensible move.
I might just end up with a few unintended clicks on the wrong sub-forum. (I’ve already had one whilst trying to get to the Buses & Coaches forum :))

Ambient Sheep

Yup, been wanting this for the London Underground forum for ages. The rest of the changes seem very sensible too. Thank you!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just for clarity we have always had an area for discussion of London Underground since the forum pretty much since the forum was founded!

The only difference now is that it is no longer a Subforum so it appears on the homepage.

Mikey C

Established Member
Makes sense, the Underground section always seemed a bit buried as a subforum

WestRiding

Following a recent staff meeting, as well as a number of user comments, we have decided to trial changes to the 'Other Rail & Transport' Section.

The 'Other Public Transport' Forum will be renamed to 'Light Rail, Metro & Trams,' and here we will encourage discussion of light rail, Tram and rail-based metro systems that are either operational, proposed or under construction in the UK.

When this was suggested a few years ago, the OP was ridiculed for suggesting such a thing. Ironic.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When this was suggested a few years ago, the OP was ridiculed for suggesting such a thing. Ironic.
Here is the thread you refer to:

The OP (i.e. yourself) said, eight years ago:
Would it be possible to have a completely different forum section for busses, or light rail. Personally i hate buses, and get fed up of trudging through bus threads to find anything rail related. Are there no dedicated bus forums out there? After all the name of this forum is 'RAILUK'.
i dont like buses because they are a rip off unless you have a season ticket. train is alot better value. if i want to go into town from my home, Thornhill Lees into Dewsbury, it costs £1.60, each way, and the bus is full of people who dont pay, seniors, doll people etc. In my clean car, 20p fuel each way, and 40p to park, and i can go when i want, so £3.20 arriva bus, or 80p in my car. i only use bus to go to pub or back from pub, but then a taxi is only £4 home, good value if there are 3 or more of us.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Plus rail is generally cleaner, quicker, smoother than bus. Rail transport just seems of better quality, even if a 142 does turn up as my rail transport.
I do not agree the OP was ridiculed; furthermore any criticism they received was for the following reason:
I think that buses fit perfectly well in here - I think the OP"s point is more along the lines of "I don't like buses" rather than a serious point about forum structure.
Back in 2012, there were not enough posts to justify separate forums for each of these areas, as stated here:
I see your point about Light Rail, because this is supposedly a rail forum, but there doesn't seem to be all that much interest to warrant a whole sub-forum dedicated to the topic....
But times have changed; a dedicated bus section was created a few years after that post was made (and has since become very well established and popular), and now we have a dedicated section for light rail too.

Our response to the suggestion at the time was:
This thread seems trailed off into a slightly unrelated discussion to be honest. The forum staff are always open to ideas, and if there is a significant demand for a light rail section we will always consider it. In fact, we made changes to the forum sections just a few months ago. If you have any strong views, get in touch! :)
And we have continued to do exactly that over the years.

If anyone has any further suggestions, there is a link to our Contact Us form at the bottom of each page (or, even better, come along to a forum meet and tell us in person!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.