• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overcrowding on North Wales Coast When The Sun Shines This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Overcrowding could get even worse when the Class 197s enter service. The 2 car versions will have about 20 seats fewer than the equivalent 2 car Class 158 or 175. And those 3 car 197s containing 1st Class will have about 40 fewer standard class seats than a 3 car 175.

Now whilst 2+3 car formations are said to be intended for Manchester / Cardiff services, will the same apply to North Wales Coast services? And the Aberystwyth / Pwllheli services are likely to remain 2+2 formations, splitting/rejoining at Machynlleth.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Which is all well and good but explain then how these issues with TFW predate the pacers being withdrawn. This has been a long standing issue and has only gotten worse. I do not dispute passenger growth over a longer period and I get with no additional trains, issues will come about. Fully, fully understand that. What didn't make sense though was that it was quite quickly after TFW came into play that carriages were vastly reduced and the overcrowding hit silly levels.
A long standing issue under ATW, who never had enough stock. TfW have not had time to fix this issue yet - with the only new stock that has entered service not being enough to cover what's been lost.

How does it work out in terms of carriages? A 769 is obviously 4 carriages which replaces 2 pacers.

Indeed, but there are only a handful of them, plus some single car 153s that have come into service since. The Pacers represented a loss of 60 cars (albeit shorter then other trains).
As for the 769s, their reliability isn't passengers issue. Why don't we just stop the economy because of an unreliable
No, but it's not TfW's fault either
175s on Chester to Crewe. Only needs a 153 on it. It's hardly busy. Chester to Liverpool, 153 could also suit. Combined, that is 2 units which can be used for strengthening in other areas.
175s aren't booked on Chester to Crewe except on Sundays. A single PRM 153 does not provide enough capacity for either of those routes.

Conwy Valley might as well be replaced by a bus given that is the reality most of the time. That could be another unit saved.
True - but I'm sure you'll have lots of angry people down there saying it's whatever line you live on that should suffer, not them. Plus, cutting service to a heavily tourist orientated route during what promises to be a bumper year for domestic tourism would certainly be an odd move.
Trains doing sod all are the 230s.
Not enough crew trained yet. Sorry - but that's reality. Blame Covid for that one
They will be doing some training but I and probably the 197s though they will need approving and stuff first.
If TFW is that short, hire trains in as per has happened elsewhere. Windermere branch had the train up there. As you have pointed out, the 37s to Rhymney. I'm sure that there will be stock out
No longer permitted under PRM rules.
That I guess then is why I see the issue more than some others being from Chester, I am seeing the never ending cancellations and really poor service. You may not notice it as much in Hereford or whatever but that I presume is why I have the view that I do because I am based in the areas which has the most issues. Whatever the issue, obviously it's something which needs looking at.
I work through Chester, amongst other locations. I've not witnessed the massive deterioration you claim to have occurred since TfW have taken over, either there or anywhere else on the network. The only issues I've seen are the ones caused by legacy issues from the zero growth ATW franchise, and delays in the introduction of new stock caused by Covid and manufacturing failures.

Put it this way - if Arriva had won a franchise extension, we'd be in exactly the same mess.
Maybe the Wrexham-Bidston closure will help things as those drivers can then be training for a bit on other stuff. Shame that Sundays are all voluntary as there is quite a bit of engineering works in Chester coming up over weekends so that could help some backlog.
Sundays are not voluntary at TfW for the vast majority of staff. I do agree though that not running that service will hopefully allow staff to be released for training.
The conditions under which you did your training don't affect your ability to work trains once trained!

The bigger issue is that you wouldn't be able to do training on the Borderlands line purely under English Regulations, as obviously half the line is in Wales. That wouldn't stop training happening between Chester and Crewe though, for example, which everyone signs and where there are plenty of spare paths.
Most training isn't done on a training train just bouncing around the Network. The first half of the training takes place in a classroom - which until recently meant that class sizes had to be smaller than usual to cope with social distancing.

Once completed, drivers move on to complete 265 hours of supervised train handling with a driver instructor, following that instructors normal roster. Route learning forms a part of this 265 hours. Restricting this only to the English routes would cause no end of problems to do, would take even longer, and in the end produce drivers only able to drive on the English routes.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I didn't say that price had increased.
I quoted the correct part of your post:
Since TFW have come in, fares seem to have risen massively
No further details were offered so nobody could really engage could they. However, the flow is incontrovertibly relevant in this thread...

That isn't the same thing as a fare being poor value for money. Colwyn Bay or Llandudno Jn and some nearby stations to Chester is indeed a particularly poor value for money journey. But the fare has still gone down significantly. That's not been happening in many parts!

markymark2000

On Moderation
No, but it's not TfW's fault either
It's more TFWs fault than it is passengers fault. TFW ordered the trains.

175s aren't booked on Chester to Crewe except on Sundays. A single PRM 153 does not provide enough capacity for either of those routes.
Holyhead to Crewe services are ran by 175s when they don't need to run to Crewe, just turn at Chester and throw people onto the shuttle.
A single 153 I think would have capacity on the lines based off my experience on the lines. The passenger numbers aren't high. If a PRM 153 has toilets then it may become tighter but certainly doable. a PRM 153 with no toilet would be best though. Never seen a Halton Curve with more than 30 passengers on either except some people who get on in Runcorn going to Liverpool but them lot can get the other

True - but I'm sure you'll have lots of angry people down there saying it's whatever line you live on that should suffer, not them. Plus, cutting service to a heavily tourist orientated route during what promises to be a bumper year for domestic tourism would certainly be an odd move.
The line is down to a bus the majority of the time anyway. It would make no difference. At this point, it's more of a bus replacement train service.

No longer permitted under PRM rules.
Can't some more 144 Evos be done up, they fit PRM standards and can be used for silly lines with not a lot going on.

I work through Chester, amongst other locations. I've not witnessed the massive deterioration you claim to have occurred since TfW have taken over, either there or anywhere else on the network. The only issues I've seen are the ones caused by legacy issues from the zero growth ATW franchise, and delays in the introduction of new stock caused by Covid and manufacturing failures.

Put it this way - if Arriva had won a franchise extension, we'd be in exactly the same mess.
I think there would still be a mess, yes but I do think Arriva may have handled things differently with them being more commercially focussed rather than being government ran and especially labour government ran because of their close connection with the unions so the unions make things harder and the government will go for it because they support eachother. Having Arriva under the Department for Transport franchising, I don't think we would have had as many issues. Also, it's not all about the issues infront of you, it's about how you deal with them. Staff shortages or train shortages, people seem to understand but after 3 years, they want to hear something different.

Sundays are not voluntary at TfW for the vast majority of staff. I do agree though that not running that service will hopefully allow staff to be released for training.
What happened with the football match then the other week? I thought that was down to not enough staff volunteering to work Sundays.

craigybagel

Established Member
It's more TFWs fault than it is passengers fault. TFW ordered the trains.
Nope, that was Arriva's doing. TfW ordered the units that will hopefully ensure the 769s time at TfW is as brief as possible.
Holyhead to Crewe services are ran by 175s when they don't need to run to Crewe, just turn at Chester and throw people onto the shuttle.
Holyhead - Crewe services only run on a Sunday.
A single 153 I think would have capacity on the lines based off my experience on the lines. The passenger numbers aren't high. If a PRM 153 has toilets then it may become tighter but certainly doable. a PRM 153 with no toilet would be best though. Never seen a Halton Curve with more than 30 passengers on either except some people who get on in Runcorn going to Liverpool but them lot can get the other.
So your solution to improve things at TfW is to run trains with no toilets at all? You're thinking outside the box I'll give you that.
The line is down to a bus the majority of the time anyway. It would make no difference. At this point, it's more of a bus replacement train service.
This summer, it'll make a big difference.
Can't some more 144 Evos be done up, they fit PRM standards and can be used for silly lines with not a lot going on.
Even if they could (and they can't) it's not going to be a quicker solution to the current problems than what is already being done.
I think there would still be a mess, yes but I do think Arriva may have handled things differently with them being more commercially focussed rather than being government ran and especially labour government ran because of their close connection with the unions so the unions make things harder and the government will go for it because they support eachother. Having Arriva under the Department for Transport franchising, I don't think we would have had as many issues. Also, it's not all about the issues infront of you, it's about how you deal with them. Staff shortages or train shortages, people seem to understand but after 3 years, they want to hear something different.
Are you sure you're not being blinded by a dislike of the Labour Party/Welsh Assembly? Arriva wouldn't have done anything beyond what their franchise required them to do - they've shown that with every franchise they've run. They wouldn't have been able to deal with the current situation any better than anyone else would have. There are no trains to pull out of thin air to fix things - nor are there qualified and healthy staff to work them.
What happened with the football match then the other week? I thought that was down to not enough staff volunteering to work Sundays.
At the moment, to cover all services on a Sunday it requires a degree of overtime, the same as it does on every other day of the week at present - and naturally there weren't many people wanting to work overtime on the particular day. But there were plenty of staff contractually obligated to be at work, who were all in.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Most training isn't done on a training train just bouncing around the Network. The first half of the training takes place in a classroom - which until recently meant that class sizes had to be smaller than usual to cope with social distancing.

Once completed, drivers move on to complete 265 hours of supervised train handling with a driver instructor, following that instructors normal roster. Route learning forms a part of this 265 hours. Restricting this only to the English routes would cause no end of problems to do, would take even longer, and in the end produce drivers only able to drive on the English routes.
Ah, I wasn't referring to route learning, where of course you do have to be in the right place to learn the routes!

I was referring more to the possibility of doing traction training in England - of course it doesn't really matter where the traction training is done.

markymark2000

On Moderation
So your solution to improve things at TfW is to run trains with no toilets at all? You're thinking outside the box I'll give you that.
You're not going far, you don't need a toilet. Average journey of under 30 minutes does not need a toilet. Even Merseytravel has grasped that. I'm not suggesting on the Heart of Wales line or the marshes. to put trains on with no toilets, it's Chester to Crewe and Halton Curve. Low passengers anyway, toilets at each end. IF you can't hold it in for 30 minutes, use the Avanti. Crikey. It's not that long.

Are you sure you're not being blinded by a dislike of the Labour Party/Welsh Assembly? Arriva wouldn't have done anything beyond what their franchise required them to do - they've shown that with every franchise they've run. They wouldn't have been able to deal with the current situation any better than anyone else would have. There are no trains to pull out of thin air to fix things - nor are there qualified and healthy staff to work them.
Nope. Certain. I don't disagree, Arriva wouldn't have gone above and beyond, what I am saying is they may have dealt with it differently and maybe a few problems may not have come about. I didn't say at all that it would be perfect. Being commercially focussed, companies tend to push back more as they need to make money. If there is no incentive to make money, why bother putting in effort to make money (or reduce losses in this case). The Welsh Govt will keep things propped up so don't waste effort doing something. All I am saying is the union will be helped with some of their demands by a government who supports them. Other franchises, the government distanced themselves from the union and more compromise was had. It's much easier to get things changed if the people you are campaigning to, are one of your best mates (sort of thing). It's harder to push through things when you are against someone with completely opposite views and the people who can overrule it say 'not our problem'.

At the moment, to cover all services on a Sunday it requires a degree of overtime, the same as it does on every other day of the week at present - and naturally there weren't many people wanting to work overtime on the particular day. But there were plenty of staff contractually obligated to be at work, who were all in.
I'm with you. That's fair. It was the understanding locally that it was volunteers only. I guess it was still down to lack of volunteers.

craigybagel

Established Member
Ah, I wasn't referring to route learning, where of course you do have to be in the right place to learn the routes!

I was referring more to the possibility of doing traction training in England - of course it doesn't really matter where the traction training is done.
My apologies, I see where you're coming from now.

Yes, in theory I suppose there's no reason that traction training couldn't take place in England following the slightly more relaxed English rules. It would only be a drop in the ocean towards fixing the current issues though - and it's hard enough getting one driver at a time released for traction training, never mind more.

Caaardiff

You're not going far, you don't need a toilet. Average journey of under 30 minutes does not need a toilet. Even Merseytravel has grasped that. I'm not suggesting on the Heart of Wales line or the marshes. to put trains on with no toilets, it's Chester to Crewe and Halton Curve. Low passengers anyway, toilets at each end. IF you can't hold it in for 30 minutes, use the Avanti. Crikey. It's not that long.
Feel free to contact the DfT and argue that case on TfWs behalf, because its a decision out if TfWs hands. There must be a PRM accessible toilet on every service, regardless of distance.

Also your views on passenger numbers are very outdated. A single 153 is not enough on Liverpool services now restrictions are lifted, and certainly not suitable for Chester Crewe, especially as many people are connecting from North Wales to Crewe on TfW services because if the reduced Avanti services.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Feel free to contact the DfT and argue that case on TfWs behalf, because its a decision out if TfWs hands. There must be a PRM accessible toilet on every service, regardless of distance.

Also your views on passenger numbers are very outdated. A single 153 is not enough on Liverpool services now restrictions are lifted, and certainly not suitable for Chester Crewe, especially as many people are connecting from North Wales to Crewe on TfW services because if the reduced Avanti services.
I'd love to know where all the passengers are going to on the Liverpool services as it wasn't that busy pre Covid, I did numerous trips on the line. Rarely busy. You're right about Avanti but still, I'd be interested that they are filling a train. Are you basing things off social distancing full or every seat taken full?

As for toilets, is that in the agreement with the operator or is that just a DFT policy?

HS2isgood

Just a question: what kind of service is WMT running between Shrewsbury and Birmingham? Couldn't the situation in TfW be helped by sending the Reading-Manchester XC via Crewe instead of Stoke, cutting the Manchester-Carmarthen at Crewe and cutting Cambrian Coast services at Shrewsbury or Wolverhampton?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Just a question: what kind of service is WMT running between Shrewsbury and Birmingham? Couldn't the situation in TfW be helped by sending the Reading-Manchester XC via Crewe instead of Stoke, cutting the Manchester-Carmarthen at Crewe and cutting Cambrian Coast services at Shrewsbury or Wolverhampton?
I suspect TfW would be reluctant to forgo the revenue from Manchester and Birmingham passengers?

craigybagel

Established Member
Robbing Peter to pay Paul. The TfW Birmingham and Manchester services have been very busy of late, and that's before the massive Avanti cuts that start on Monday.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
You cannot send a single 153 over halton curve.

Well, you can - but network rail and merseytravel kick up a stink about it. If it has engine problems between the curve and ditton then all hell will break loose.

It is booked traction as 2 153's as a minimum. It had been done as a single unit with dispensation. But it's a really bad idea.

Also, it's a busy service. You might get away with 1 car every now and then.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
WMT are running a reduced service between Shrewsbury and Birmingham, and Avanti are "temporarily" canning their Euston-Manchester via Crewe service from tomorrow.

But your suggestion would certainly be the contingency option I'd go for, as the XC is 4 minutes in front of the Avanti Euston-Manchester via Stoke service in the northbound direction, and in the southbound direction the Avanti is 12 minutes in front.

So whilst Macclesfield and Stoke would lose direct connectivity to Birmingham etc., it'd probably be a trade-off worth making if it were to ensure TfW can operate a robust timetable.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That ship sailed some years ago. They would have had very little life left in them. It's hard to see how it could have been value for money.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You could travel on the 1014 Avanti West Coast service from Chester to Rhyl, arriving 1045. This should be formed of five coaches and thus much less likely to be full and standing. Obviously you'd then need to use a local bus or taxi, or undertake a lengthy walk, to get to where you need to be in Abergele so that's not necessarily going to meet your needs unfortunately.

Failing that, there's an 0829 from Chester but that would have you several hours early, but is likely to be less busy than the 1027.

With Avanti dropping their service right down and so having spare Voyagers, could TfW get them to run the shuttles as 10 car? That would help a lot and the units are not being used for anything else.

PRM TSI clearly does not spec that as for example Merseyrail units (old and new) and the 707s don't have toilets at all. Is it not rather the case that if there are any on a given train at least one must be PRM, but there can be none at all?

sd0733

Established Member
With Avanti dropping their service right down and so having spare Voyagers, could TfW get them to run the shuttles as 10 car? That would help a lot and the units are not being used for anything else.

The units might not be being used but who could work them, the Avanti timetable is cut due to not enough non isolating crew and tfw certainly dont have any one signing voyagers. Would go down like a lead balloon on the wcml if avanti cut their own timetable then hired the crew they are supposed to be short of to other Tocs.

Dai Corner

Established Member
PRM TSI clearly does not spec that as for example Merseyrail units (old and new) and the 707s don't have toilets at all. Is it not rather the case that if there are any on a given train at least one must be PRM, but there can be none at all?
Yes. Indeed TfW's new stock for the Valleys won't have toilets.

But let's not digress into that subject on this thread. It's been done to death before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The units might not be being used but who could work them, the Avanti timetable is cut due to not enough non isolating crew and tfw certainly dont have any one signing voyagers. Would go down like a lead balloon on the wcml if avanti cut their own timetable then hired the crew they are supposed to be short of to other Tocs.

Avanti are working them as 5 car shuttles. I'm suggesting they just extend those to 10 car on the timetable they are already operating. Or are Avanti one of the TOCs who don't allow a guardless unit?

sd0733

Established Member
Avanti are working them as 5 car shuttles. I'm suggesting they just extend those to 10 car on the timetable they are already operating. Or are Avanti one of the TOCs who don't allow a guardless unit?
Ah yes sorry, I forgot all about their Chester shuttle. The issue with that would be the platforming at Crewe as the ones Avanti operate have a long layover and sits in platform 9 at the moment which wouldnt work as a 10 car, im sure most could be revised a bit to use 12 though.
The Chester shuttle may naturally resolve its capacity problem in Monday with the Avanti cuts, loads of passengers from London connect off the Manchester onto the TfW shuttle, once that train is gone and they all come in on the Liverpool service they should connect onto the Avanti instead. Obviously that doesnt help beyond Chester though

Kite159

Veteran Member
Isn't there some stations which can't hold 10 coaches if it's a double voyager?

(Was on a double voyager to Holyhead last Saturday and they were going to lock out the last 3 coaches after Chester due to it calling at stations with short platforms. Was the 1548 Crewe to Holyhead service)

Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Isn't there some stations which can't hold 10 coaches if it's a double voyager?

(Was on a double voyager to Holyhead last Saturday and they were going to lock out the last 3 coaches after Chester due to it calling at stations with short platforms)
They are only doing Crewe to Chester, apart from (i think its just) 1 a day which continues to Holyhead

craigybagel

Established Member
Probably worth pointing out that all the tinkering and disruption to cut the TFW Manchester services at Crewe and divert XC that way instead would yield, if it was done that way all day long, precisely one extra unit.

Cutting the Birmingham services at Shrewsbury (6 units) or Wolverhampton (2 units) would yield more, but I doubt WMT have anywhere near enough capacity to cope with the passenger numbers coming off the Cambrian in summer.

Established Member
Conwy Valley might as well be replaced by a bus given that is the reality most of the time. That could be another unit saved.

A very healthy load on the first Conwy Valley line service today (Sunday).

About 25/30 got off at Betws-y-Coed, plenty with suit cases.

Bustitution on this line this time of the year is unthinkable.

wobman

On Moderation
Just imagine what next week will be like once Avanti reduce their services, it's bad enough as it is. Full and standing from Chester today and coming into Chester was just as bad. Most Sunday services now are busy, unfortunately not many people were wearing masks as usual.

Jan Mayen

Many thanks for all the replies.
I'm failing to get seat reservations (first class) on some Avanti services on the North Wales Coast. Have they made there services standard class only?
(0951 Crewe to Rhyl, 1500 return, for example).
Or are they already full?

wobman

On Moderation
I'm failing to get seat reservations (first class) on some Avanti services on the North Wales Coast. Have they made there services standard class only?
Are they running ? The reduced services start Monday

Starmill

Veteran Member
A large number of services in the near future have recently been unavailable for reservation. If you have a few dates in mind I'd suggest creating a new thread with the proposed dates of your trip(s) and people will probably be able to investigate specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.