• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Corridor Phase 2 & Platform 5 updates

Benjwri

Established Member
Local media in Oxford is reporting it is planned to close Oxford station for 3 months next summer, so the bridge over Botley road can be replaced. Does anyone know any more details on this? I would presume this means the whole line will be closed for that time, but that seems awefully long considering it affects the whole North Cotswolds route, and many, many crosscountry services? Also surely Chiltern will be able to run a limited service, unless they plan to take the opportunity to do other works?

Article here: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/2...330f1N77iOtht1owK5MC7dcWGXT_iC-uV_SnzJMsxyByw

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Local media in Oxford is reporting it is planned to close Oxford station for 3 months next summer, so the bridge over Botley road can be replaced. Does anyone know any more details on this? I would presume this means the whole line will be closed for that time, but that seems awefully long considering it affects the whole North Cotswolds route, and many, many crosscountry services? Also surely Chiltern will be able to run a limited service, unless they plan to take the opportunity to do other works?

Article here: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/2...330f1N77iOtht1owK5MC7dcWGXT_iC-uV_SnzJMsxyByw
I think the article's description of three months relates to the overall period of closures rather than an actual closure for all that time.

Typically, such a closure might be a full week in the Summer but a number of weekends either side of that period.

It describes weekend closures in September and October together with the main closure in July and August. The road closure could be different.

July / August - main closure
A spokesperson for Network Rail told the Oxford Mail that both Botley Road and the station will be closed next summer, either at the end of July or start of August.

September / October - weekend closures
Lines in and out the station are already set to be closed over four weekends in September and October, to allow the second phase of works to increase capacity.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This had already been mentioned in the EWR consultation thread. It seems clear to me from the detailed text within the article that it will be closures during the period, not for the whole period.

Surely if the reason for the closure is the massive job of replacement of Botley Rd bridge, which is immediately to the south of the platforms, the station could be run as a terminus with a thinned out service of trains running to and from the north, ie to Worcester, Banbury, Bicester Village and beyond? Plus rail replacement buses from Didcot or Reading, or both?

Ken H

On Moderation
Why do you need to totally close the station? As @2192 says, Cross country can still run north, the Cotswold line and Chilterns London service can still run.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely if the reason for the closure is the massive job of replacement of Botley Rd bridge, which is immediately to the south of the platforms, the station could be run as a terminus with a thinned out service of trains running to and from the north, ie to Worcester, Banbury, Bicester Village and beyond? Plus rail replacement buses from Didcot or Reading, or both?
Well yes, but there’s days you'd never expect that level of detail in a local newspaper story. They just want a major scare story to generate clicks…

(There may be safety issues with running full length trains into a through platform with a worksite immediately beyond, but there’s no reason I can think of that the bay platforms couldn't be open normally.)

higthomas

there’s no reason I can think of that the bay platforms couldn't be open normally.
Only reason I can think of is that if there are other works that need doing in the area, it might be better to have fewer total closures than more minor ones. Especially if they do a blockade and the proper rail replacement and advertising job, rather than the useless fare one gets on a single weekend closure.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only reason I can think of is that if there are other works that need doing in the area, it might be better to have fewer total closures than more minor ones. Especially if they do a blockade and the proper rail replacement and advertising job, rather than the useless fare one gets on a single weekend closure.
Yes possibly, and short workings of Chiltern to Oxford Parkway aren’t going to be a massive problem.

Gloster

Established Member
I would very much doubt that the through platforms could be used as Botley Road is right on the platform ends. Once you have allowed clearance for people and moving equipment, you would be well beyond the protecting signal. With common sense, you would still be able to use the north end bays.

jimm

Established Member
At this stage, the focus is on the work to install high-speed crossovers at Oxford North junction at weekends this autumn, so exactly what might happen and when next summer is unlikely to be set in stone.

The FAQs from previous public engagement about the project (which took place last year) contains the wording below, suggesting Chiltern services may well be able to operate at times and perhaps some sort of GWR service to the Cotswold Line using the north end bay platforms, depending on what other work is going on.

How much disruption will there be at the station during the work?
There will be rail closures during the work, with bus replacement services provided. Some of the work will mean trains can’t run south and other parts of the work will mean trains can’t run north. There will also be periods where the line is completely closed at weekends for us to carryout work.

Network Rail is holding a drop-in public engagement event from 2pm to 7pm on Friday, August 19, at West Oxford Community Centre, which is in Botley Road, to the west of the station and about a five-minute walk.

The Planner

Veteran Member
At this stage, the focus is on the work to install high-speed crossovers at Oxford North junction at weekends this autumn, so exactly what might happen and when next summer is unlikely to be set in stone.

The FAQs from previous public engagement about the project (which took place last year) contains the wording below, suggesting Chiltern services may well be able to operate at times and perhaps some sort of GWR service to the Cotswold Line using the north end bay platforms, depending on what other work is going on.

Network Rail is holding a drop-in public engagement event from 2pm to 7pm on Friday, August 19, at West Oxford Community Centre, which is in Botley Road, to the west of the station and about a five-minute walk.
It pretty much is, 9 day block between 29th July and 8th August. Didcot to Banbury/Leamington bus replacement. GWR spin at Hanborough, Chiltern at Oxford Parkway.

SynthD

I think they will put in the foundations for the posts.

No, the plans I found later say they won't.

Last edited:

Stewart2887

And for those of us who go by road, car or bus that way? Stagecoach have lots of lovely double deckers to go under. Whats the need to inconvenience everyone?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
And for those of us who go by road, car or bus that way? Stagecoch have lots of lovely double deckers to go under. Whats the need to inconvenience everyone?
AFAICS the bridge needs another span for platform 5, therefore it extends further along the Botley Rd. The bridge is widened in both dimensions, to put it another way.

JamesT

Established Member
And for those of us who go by road, car or bus that way? Stagecoach have lots of lovely double deckers to go under. Whats the need to inconvenience everyone?
It’s a fairly major improvement for all modes delivered by replacing the bridge.
Trains: allows for platform 5 and I believe also a potential future through platform 2.
Pedestrians and Cyclists: provides a passage on the North side segregated from the road.
Buses: increased headroom under the bridge, so Oxford can have normal height double deckers instead of the low height type we’re currently stuck with.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
(There may be safety issues with running full length trains into a through platform with a worksite immediately beyond, but there’s no reason I can think of that the bay platforms couldn't be open normally.)

When Selby swing bridge was undergoing major works buffer stops were installed on the platform lines to allow use of the through platforms. I think the distance to the worksite would be very similar.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
The Botley Road bridge is utterly horrible on a bike. I'm very much looking forward to it being rebuilt.

jimm

Established Member
It pretty much is, 9 day block between 29th July and 8th August. Didcot to Banbury/Leamington bus replacement. GWR spin at Hanborough, Chiltern at Oxford Parkway.
The initial poster was asking about the three-month closure being suggested by the Oxford Mail.

Perhaps what I should have said was that the exact details of what will be happening over that extended period next year (when various things will be happening above and beyond the work on the Botley Road bridge spans during a full blockade) are not yet available for public consumption, which is hardly surprising.

Things have already moved on since last year, when the previous public engagement indicated that Botley Road and the main line would be closed for four to five days while the key bridge work was done.

The quote from Network Rail that was in my post suggests that within the broader project timeframe, they appear to envisage some services being able to operate at the station at various stages.

The Chiltern extension into Oxford was designed from the off to allow its trains to run in isolation in situations when the main line is closed for whatever reason and it is not unknown for other services to continue to operate at Oxford in unusual ways. On December 27-28 in 2013, Cotswold Line trains ran to and from platform 1 (now platform 3) using bi-directional single line working on the up loop line, when both the mains were occupied while engineers finished installing the point at the north end of the extension to the down loop. I believe there was pilot working between Oxford and Charlbury, with the pointwork at Wolvercote junction clamped in position. FGW and XC services to/from Banbury did not operate that day.

I assume during the main bridge work next year, the short-stay car park and forecourt will be needed by the engineers, due to the lack of alternative options nearby to hold lorries, park other vehicles and set up temporary buildings, hence the full station closure as well.

Falcon1200

Established Member
The articles in the Oxford Mail, more than once, have stated that the station (and Botley Road) will be closed for three months, no mention of at weekends only. I hope the wording is wrong, but if so I would expect someone from NR or GWR to correct the newspaper's reports very soon ! The bridge was replaced, IIRC, in the late 70s/early 80s needing, at the most, a few weekend closures, why this project, while of course much larger, seemingly requires such a long and hugely disruptive blockage is a mystery.

I would very much doubt that the through platforms could be used as Botley Road is right on the platform ends.

It would surely be possible to erect temporary buffer stops halfway along Platforms 3 and 4, leaving enough room for a 5-car IET at the north ends without impacting on the work (if it is to be a continuous 3 months).

I assume during the main bridge work next year, the short-stay car park and forecourt will be needed by the engineers, due to the lack of alternative options nearby to hold lorries, park other vehicles and set up temporary buildings, hence the full station closure as well.

Closing the route south is bad enough, if there is to be no access to the station, and therefore no trains, this will be an absolute disaster, both for the city and the railway. The Beckett St car park has a lot of space !

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The articles in the Oxford Mail, more than once, have stated that the station (and Botley Road) will be closed for three months, no mention of at weekends only. I hope the wording is wrong, but if so I would expect someone from NR or GWR to correct the newspaper's reports very soon ! The bridge was replaced, IIRC, in the late 70s/early 80s needing, at the most, a few weekend closures, why this project, while of course much larger, seemingly requires such a long and hugely disruptive blockage is a mystery.
It doesn’t require a 3 month closure of the station, did you not see the dates in post #12?

But even in the quoted Oxford Mail article it contradicts itself, immediately after mentioning the supposed 3 months closure it goes on:
“A spokesperson for Network Rail told the Oxford Mail that both Botley Road and the station will be closed next summer, either at the end of July or start of August.

Jimini

Established Member
Random segway, but that 50mph ESR (or TSR?) between Culham and Radley's been there for ages now as the tracks cross the Thames. Maybe they'll fix that delightful little (sizeable) bump in the tracks there too?

Another random one but just chucking it out there: This service randomly made a cheeky detour to platform 3 on its way north. Not seen that one before.

Last edited:

Random segway, but that 50mph ESR (or TSR?) between Culham and Radley's been there for ages now as the tracks cross the Thames. Maybe they'll fix that delightful little (sizeable) bump in the tracks there too?

Another random one but just chucking it out there: This service randomly made a cheeky detour to platform 3 on its way north. Not seen that one before.

Wasn't the only one today, the 19.27 Chiltern service to Marylebone usually comes from Hinksey Sidings to platform 4, but went to platform 3 this evening.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, and I hope that you are right, but that is NOT what the Oxford Mail, or indeed the BBC Local News report, said; Without apparently any contradiction or update from Network Rail or the City Council.
Ignore the media, the dates are in the engineering access statement, and have been for ages. No one would allow a 3 month block.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Does suggest that there may well have been an element of logic to the pausing of the electrification after all...

I always thought that the reason why Oxford electrification was temporarily paused was to allow Oxford station be rebuilt before wiring it