• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxted bay platform train access

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
I couldn't find a previous thread about this specific query, but does anyone know why no set of points exist to allow a service to enter the (south/down-facing) bay platform (P3) directly from the up line? My initial thinking was the proximity of Oxted viaduct to the station prevents such a feature, but that viaduct is not very long and would have thought points could exist south of it and still fit there before Limpsfield tunnel (unless wrong sided running isn't permitted on the viaduct either).

As there are no points present for this move the Sunday Uckfield line services arrive at P1, unload, reverse back out before the Victoria service arrives, then shunt into the bay before the East Grinstead service arrives, then return to Uckfield as the next passenger service. I'm guessing this works fine most of the time, although of course if the Uckfield service was late arriving it can easily hold up the Victoria service, then either hold up the East Grinstead service and/or be late itself returning depending on whether latter service is let through before the shunt or not if the terminator is late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I think the answer is that the layout wasn't touched at electrification, and might well date back to LBSC days!
From a passenger point of view, especially when most offpeak Uckfield line trains terminated there, it is far more convenient not to have to change platforms (and Hurst Green used not to be an hospitable alternative).

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Isn’t (or wasn’t) Oxted one of the last places to allow propelling moves so the shunt was quite quick in clearing the platform (and allowed for the non gangwayed stock?)

Train would arrive from Uckfield, driver would stay in leading cab and propel out the platform and then drive into the bay.

MotCO

Established Member
Isn’t (or wasn’t) Oxted one of the last places to allow propelling moves so the shunt was quite quick in clearing the platform (and allowed for the non gangwayed stock?)

Train would arrive from Uckfield, driver would stay in leading cab and propel out the platform and then drive into the bay.
What's a propelling move? Is it where the driver drives from the 'wrong end'?

brad465

Established Member

I believe a similar move is performed at Strood on peak hour terminators, which unload from platform 1, a guard sits in the front cad with the driver operating in reverse mode from the rear cab up to the shunting limit. Once clear the points are switched and the driver drives forward back into platform 2, unloads the guard and runs empty to the depot.

If the Oxted-Uckfield shuttle is only a single 2 or 4 car 171 I imagine such a move wouldn't be necessary as they can change ends onboard?

bramling

Veteran Member

I don’t know if it still happens, however that was certainly how it was performed in Thumper days. The guard would board the country end cab and the driver would do all the movements from the London end. With the Thumpers being non-gangwayed there wasn’t much alternative.

No idea what happens with the 171s.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
During early lockdown, pairs of two car 171s were shunting from platform 1 into the up siding and then back into the platform once a Victoria train had passed before returning south direct from 1.

This avoids the need for 2 drivers or the propelling move described above

Status
Not open for further replies.