• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster card after expiry of associated National Railcard discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

I have an Oyster card which I use when I am in London due to its charging me the cheapest overall fare for multiple journeys. Until recently, I have had a National Railcard attached to the Oyster card to give me National Rail discounts on my Underground fares. After each renewal of my National Railcard I look for a member of staff at my first Underground station and have the Oyster card updated with the detail of the replacement railcard.

Due to Covid - 19 travel restrictions, the reduced services, and the exhortations from politicians and others not to use public transport I have not bothered to renew my National Railcard. (Luckily, it expired in April so I had use of it for most of its period of validity and I know there are no refunds or extensions due to the pandemic.)

How do I ensure the Oyster card is amended so the discount no longer applies? Is the process similar to what I have used previously after a renewal or is there some way I can do this online or over the phone, please? Or is the process automatic in that the Underground has already noted when the railcard expired and thus discounts no longer apply anyway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The discount will run out automatically on the expiry of the railcard. It then becomes a standard blue adult Oyster card.

theironroad

Established Member
I have an Oyster card which I use when I am in London due to its charging me the cheapest overall fare for multiple journeys. Until recently, I have had a National Railcard attached to the Oyster card to give me National Rail discounts on my Underground fares. After each renewal of my National Railcard I look for a member of staff at my first Underground station and have the Oyster card updated with the detail of the replacement railcard.

Due to Covid - 19 travel restrictions, the reduced services, and the exhortations from politicians and others not to use public transport I have not bothered to renew my National Railcard. (Luckily, it expired in April so I had use of it for most of its period of validity and I know there are no refunds or extensions due to the pandemic.)

How do I ensure the Oyster card is amended so the discount no longer applies? Is the process similar to what I have used previously after a renewal or is there some way I can do this online or over the phone, please? Or is the process automatic in that the Underground has already noted when the railcard expired and thus discounts no longer apply anyway?

In bold is correct.

Mister Ed

Thank you to both of you for your prompt and helpful replies. You have saved me going round in circles trying to find this out on a TfL website. Also I can be confident I have a valid ticket when there is an on board check.

Status
Not open for further replies.