• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paper £20 and £50 notes being phased out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
The old paper £20 and £50 notes won't be legal tender after September 30th 2022.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Need to check my wallet, notes in there are emergency use only and not been used in years.

najaB

Veteran Member
The old paper £20 and £50 notes won't be legal tender after September 30th 2022.
However banks and the Post Office will continue to accept them for some time (likely at least a few years), and the Bank of England will accept them in perpetuity.

nlogax

Established Member
One of the few non-joys of new polymer notes which I otherwise really like. Put two notes together and the friction coefficient is tiny..they may as well be covered in a fine film of WD40.

Trackman

Established Member
One of the few non-joys of new polymer notes which I otherwise really like. Put two notes together and the friction coefficient is tiny..they may as well be covered in a fine film of WD40.
Thought I had only £10 in my wallet once, the shop keeper took my money and said 'You've given me twenty' and then ranted on about them sticking together.

bearhugger

Need to check my wallet, notes in there are emergency use only and not been used in years.

However banks and the Post Office will continue to accept them for some time (likely at least a few years), and the Bank of England will accept them in perpetuity.
I went into a branch of Barclays in town last year to change some of the old round pound coins i had found in the house somewhere, during the conversation the clerk said they would still change old pound notes into new coins and they very very occaisionally did so (presumably from people who were clearing out elderly relatives houses and finding them stuffed under the mattress).

najaB

Veteran Member
during the conversation the clerk said they would still change old pound notes into new coins and they very very occaisionally did so (presumably from people who were clearing out elderly relatives houses and finding them stuffed under the mattress)
Last time I checked Pound notes (if in semi-decent condition) had a collectors value in excess of par so you'd be better off keeping them.

route101

Established Member
I always pay cash where I can :) many small shops still prefer it too

Always pay in cash in small corner shops. My mate got charged £20 for a packet of crisps from a corner shop using card.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last time I checked Pound notes (if in semi-decent condition) had a collectors value in excess of par so you'd be better off keeping them.
I’ve got a sequence of half a dozen 1950s white fivers, but two printed with the same serial number. Came in my dad’s pay packet. No idea what they’re worth.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I’ve got a sequence of half a dozen 1950s white fivers, but two printed with the same serial number. Came in my dad’s pay packet. No idea what they’re worth.
I don't know either, but collectors pay well over the odds for misprints like that.

Keep them safe!

Always pay in cash in small corner shops. My mate got charged £20 for a packet of crisps from a corner shop using card.
I know someone who paid with a £20 note and the shopkeeper was adamant that he only gave him a £10 note. Actually thinking most people i know have had that happen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.