• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paper tickets vs E-tickets

Which is best ticketing style (in opinion)?

• Credit card style paper tickets

• E-tickets

• Smartcard

• Bar code paper tickets

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I did have an e ticket and had the pdf and that wouldn't scan either. I think you missed my point which was the guard would have no doubt accused me of having a fake ticket through no fault of my own had I not shown it in the app.
It could have been the scanner at fault rather than the barcode.

mikeg

Established Member
It could have been the scanner at fault rather than the barcode.
Think it was. I made a thread on it at the time. Someone who I believe works for LNER on the forum scanned it and it was fine.

The error message was 'This is not a valid ticket. Decryption failed.'. Luckily the guard wasn't too desperate but he probably only passed it as he'd seen it displayed in the app. At first he did seem to think it was fake when I showed him the .pdf on my phone, which was always my preferred way of showing it before I started using the LNER app with its Google integration. It was displaying it in the app that convinced him otherwise.

So yes a downside is you could be in trouble for what is in essence the railways fault

Haywain

Veteran Member
Think it was. I made a thread on it at the time. Someone who I believe works for LNER on the forum scanned it and it was fine.

The error message was 'This is not a valid ticket. Decryption failed.'. Luckily the guard wasn't too desperate but he probably only passed it as he'd seen it displayed in the app. At first he did seem to think it was fake when I showed him the .pdf on my phone, which was always my preferred way of showing it before I started using the LNER app with its Google integration. It was displaying it in the app that convinced him otherwise.

So yes a downside is you could be in trouble for what is in essence the railways fault
I’m not sure why you think you’d be in trouble. The barrier failed to read the valid ticket. The guard, by the sound of it, didn’t have a scanner so had no means of confirming any doubts he might have had about the ticket and had no choice but to accept it.

gaillark

Always prefer paper ticket.
No hassle in breaking journeys, no penalty charges in forgetting to tap in/out, less grief when things go wrong such as times of disruption and like above potential conflict with staff. Paper ticket no brainer.

mikeg

Established Member
The guard did have a scanner! It said it wasn't a valid ticket as the decryption had failed...

317 forever

Established Member
Without having seen an e-ticket yet, I hope it can be contained into 1 page, even including the bar code. At the risk of exaggerating, we should not have to worry about printing off reams of paper.

jfollows

Established Member
Without having seen an e-ticket yet, I hope it can be contained into 1 page, even including the bar code. At the risk of exaggerating, we should not have to worry about printing off reams of paper.
It's a bar code, or rather an Aztec code, nothing else. The text that might go with it is incidental to its primary function.
I've used an Apple Watch to display it. That's about 1 inch by 1 inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.