• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Parts you can get off rolling stock just before scrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A latter day 'Collectors Corner' would be an excellent idea and I think it could well work as a business model. On similar lines, I've used an excellent architectural salvage company in Surrey who upcycle things like street furniture (road name signs, finials, lamp posts etc.) and he has arrangements with various local authorities. A railway equivalent would be excellent.
Scrapyards and that industry is highly regulated and H&S is quite rightly paramount and I can understand their reluctance to deal with the general public. The days of yards like MC Metals and Vic Berry's are a thing of the past.

As much as I would love to see Collectors Corner return, I doubt this would be a viable option as a retail outlet. I could probably see it as a separate online store, depending on how integrated the railway network becomes over the next decade.

The old shop in Coburg Street was always full of interest. This included LU signs long before they saw potential in their own market. I visited one time after they had changed the Hammersmith & City line colour (IIRC), to see a large number of enamel signs for sale.

The prices always seemed particularly reasonable and they even went to the effort of tracking down items if they didn't have them on the shop floor too. By way of comparison and allowing for inflation, you can pay 22 times the price for the same items on eBay now.

Upon being transferred from the massive warehouse style shop in London to the small art house style shop in York, it had managed to lose all of it's character and interest. There were perhaps only a dozen individual items placed on minimalist glass shelving units. I don't believe it lasted a long time after that.

So - what future? Perhaps along similar lines to railway companies selling items (station signs, ties etc) on eBay for The Railway Children.

In terms of answering the OPs original post, it might be more beneficial to contact the individual TOCs to see if it's possible to aquire items for interest. Stock that is withdrawn is often in very poor shape anyway and personally I wouldn't want a vinyl route map that had been stretched out of recognition by being peeled off the side of a vehicle. Very occasionally I have seen and inspected withdrawn stock that has been suprisingly left with items behind, as if it would be fit to use in passenger service the day after - but still little in the way of signs/posters, etc that can be removed for souvenirs.

There was a post earlier in this thread re: ownership. It's correct to say that vehicles and handed back to the ROSCO when they are off-lease from the operator.

John Luxton

Established Member
And yet profitable businesses exist to salvage "souvenir" bits off aircraft and sell them on.

And in the maritime sector too - Trinity Marine in Devon. Never used them but I know other people who like me are also interested in ships have been there.
Basically a shipping "Collectors Corner". Have quite an extensive web site. Given all the surplus railway equipment which must be discarded and the fact that there appears to be a very healthy auction trade in Railwayana one would think a commercial clearing house of redundant assets would be a viable proposition.

Industrial Lighting & Nautical Antiques | Trinity Marine

Last edited:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
And in the maritime sector too - Trinity Marine in Devon. Never used them but I know other people who like me are also interested in ships have been there.
The Beaulieu Boat Jumble is a very enjoyable day out for unearthing old boat tat historic nautical objects.

Trains66779

I have been very lucky to be able to buy quite a few mk 3 seats and backs and bases from a good contact I have. Absolutely love using them in my garden as garden seats,much more comfier and full of great memories too. Definitely a market for stuff like this just ashame Rail companies don't agree!

Attachments

• 20210429_141350.jpg
    20210429_141350.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 20210502_122427.jpg
    20210502_122427.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 81

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I have been very lucky to be able to buy quite a few mk 3 seats and backs and bases from a good contact I have. Absolutely love using them in my garden as garden seats,much more comfier and full of great memories too. Definitely a market for stuff like this just ashame Rail companies don't agree!
That's one awesome collection right there!

You are very lucky indeed me thinks!

Where on earth are you going to put them all? :D

Trains66779

That's one awesome collection right there!

You are very lucky indeed me thinks!

Where on earth are you going to put them all? :D
Thankyou very much indeed and I also have several other bits too including a door from DVT 82119 in original One Anglia vinyls. At present all my seats excluding my ex LNER 1st class HST seats are being kept outside under tarpaulin when not in use and the seat backs and bases removed and stored neately in my shed. I use my seats as an alternative garden furniture as well as for display and they are lovely to sit on after a stressful day at work and when I have friends over too. I have a Facebook Group detailing everything I've got and what I do with them here if you're interested- https://www.facebook.com/groups/488821075854410/?ref=share :)

ChilternTurbo

This is my GWR Primarius first class seat that I had delivered last week. It's got a detachable blue cover over the GWR lettering as it was salvaged from a Mk3 which had spent time with Scotrail. I've now removed the seat cushions ready to to give them a deep clean with leather cleaner and will also be cleaning up the seat frame. I'm currently investigating options for having an additional leg/support made (any ideas gratefully received!) as part of the seat would've been fixed to the side of the carriage. It will eventually be my reading chair in my office...
s-l1600-9.jpg

FirstclassHST

This is my GWR Primarius first class seat that I had delivered last week. It's got a detachable blue cover over the GWR lettering as it was salvaged from a Mk3 which had spent time with Scotrail. I've now removed the seat cushions ready to to give them a deep clean with leather cleaner and will also be cleaning up the seat frame. I'm currently investigating options for having an additional leg/support made (any ideas gratefully received!) as part of the seat would've been fixed to the side of the carriage. It will eventually be my reading chair in my office...
View attachment 95425
OMG I love it!!!! Thanks for sharing it the seat looks absolutely brilliant! Inspired by you , I’m actually bidding to try and get GWR first class seat with a fully working table !!!! Wish me luck!

I’ve attached a photo of my double GWR first class seats! (Which I’ve shown before on my thread :) )

Regards,
FirstclassHST

Wow , I love your collection I hope to have the same one day but I don’t have the space lol

Attachments

• 9D4F7541-AB13-4E21-90F7-37CA7576395A.jpeg
    9D4F7541-AB13-4E21-90F7-37CA7576395A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Thankyou very much indeed and I also have several other bits too including a door from DVT 82119 in original One Anglia vinyls. At present all my seats excluding my ex LNER 1st class HST seats are being kept outside under tarpaulin when not in use and the seat backs and bases removed and stored neately in my shed. I use my seats as an alternative garden furniture as well as for display and they are lovely to sit on after a stressful day at work and when I have friends over too. I have a Facebook Group detailing everything I've got and what I do with them here if you're interested- https://www.facebook.com/groups/488821075854410/?ref=share :)
Ooh, That's nice. :D

I shall check out the group tomorrow.

View attachment 95425
Nice. :D

OMG I love it!!!! Thanks for sharing it the seat looks absolutely brilliant! Inspired by you , I’m actually bidding to try and get GWR first class seat with a fully working table !!!! Wish me luck!

I’ve attached a photo of my double GWR first class seats! (Which I’ve shown before on my thread :) )

Regards,
FirstclassHST

Wow , I love your collection I hope to have the same one day but I don’t have the space lol
Good luck! It's a very expensive hobby for all of us isn't it! :D

Trains66779

View attachment 95425
That looks incredible! And a great purchase I can't wait to see your updates on it and it will be the most amazing seat you've ever used they are so comfortable!:)

Thankyou very much:)

Regards,
FirstclassHST

Thankyou very much indeed and I love your seats! GWR First class is comfortable and brings back alot of good memories

These will soon be my new office chairs for meetings etc. Ex LNER HST 1st class seats:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-000715_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-000715_Facebook.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 28

FirstclassHST

Thank you! It really is I’m spending money like crazy ;)

That looks incredible! And a great purchase I can't wait to see your updates on it and it will be the most amazing seat you've ever used they are so comfortable!:)

Thankyou very much:)

Thankyou very much indeed and I love your seats! GWR First class is comfortable and brings back alot of good memories

These will soon be my new office chairs for meetings etc. Ex LNER HST 1st class seats:)
Do keep us updated! I do run a train seats kind of forum (from which my journey started to get some first class seats) Do check it out and feel free to update us on that too!

ChilternTurbo

Here's my Primarius seat in my garage with the cushions and leg supports removed for cleaning. I did have the hoover our to get rid of the ton of crumbs (all those complementary biscuits!) that had ended up in the seat base. I'll steam clean the rest of the frame when it's a bit warmer. The seat is in very good condition and appears to have been manufactured in 2014, so it only saw service for around five years. I'm glad a few of these have been rescued rather than just thrown away...

EDIT: If the moderators think this would be more appropriate in the Ex HST train seats thread then please feel free to move. I'll post more updates over on that thread :)

Attachments

• IMG_3795.jpg
    IMG_3795.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

FirstclassHST

Here's my Primarius seat in my garage with the cushions and leg supports removed for cleaning. I did have the hoover our to get rid of the ton of crumbs (all those complementary biscuits!) that had ended up in the seat base. I'll steam clean the rest of the frame when it's a bit warmer. The seat is in very good condition and appears to have been manufactured in 2014, so it only saw service for around five years. I'm glad a few of these have been rescued rather than just thrown away...

EDIT: If the moderators think this would be more appropriate in the Ex HST train seats thread then please feel free to move. I'll post more updates over on that thread :)
Oh wow that’s great! May I ask how you got the seat cushions to come off like could you make a video etc? I’ve been trying but I’m afraid to break my seats!

many thanks in advance
FirstclassHST

ChilternTurbo

Oh wow that’s great! May I ask how you got the seat cushions to come off like could you make a video etc? I’ve been trying but I’m afraid to break my seats!
The headrest took a bit of persuasion to be removed but once that was out of the way, the back rest and base cushion just lifted out of place. I think the headrest effectively keeps the other two pieces in place. I would assume that these seats are designed to be taken apart quite easily if covers need too be replaced or deep cleaned...

FirstclassHST

The headrest took a bit of persuasion to be removed but once that was out of the way, the back rest and base cushion just lifted out of place. I think the headrest effectively keeps the other two pieces in place. I would assume that these seats are designed to be taken apart quite easily if covers need too be replaced or deep cleaned...
Oh right ok do you just lift the headrest up?

FirstclassHST

Pretty much, my one wasn't locked or bolted in place. The headrest was just slotted into the metal supports - I'm hoping that reassembly will be just as simple!
Oh right ok I’ll have a go today too!

Pretty much, my one wasn't locked or bolted in place. The headrest was just slotted into the metal supports - I'm hoping that reassembly will be just as simple!
That’s weird , when I tried taking out my double seat cushions the tops came off but the middle part and bottom were bolted into place and now I feel like I’ve fractured an arm trying to take them out lol :)

Last edited:

ChilternTurbo

Apologies if it’s a silly question but are power brake controllers able to be salvaged?
Which loco are you looking to get one salvaged from?

I'm hoping that some of the Class 91s go to Booths for dismantling as they do seem willing to salvage parts before scrapping. Having said that, and this might not be true but I did read on a Facebook group that Eversholt who own the 91s and Mk.4s wouldn't be sending any further stock to Booths because of various bits and pieces being salvaged and sold on. As I say, I'm not sure if that's the case but I've noticed that Newport have been taking Mk.4s now and of course the Class 91s (nameplates and all!) Seems a bit churlish to me, nobody is going to start new open access operations with some seating or internal carriage fittings...

PudseyBearHST

I'm hoping that some of the Class 91s go to Booths for dismantling as they do seem willing to salvage parts before scrapping. Having said that, and this might not be true but I did read on a Facebook group that Eversholt who own the 91s and Mk.4s wouldn't be sending any further stock to Booths because of various bits and pieces being salvaged and sold on. As I say, I'm not sure if that's the case but I've noticed that Newport have been taking Mk.4s now and of course the Class 91s (nameplates and all!) Seems a bit churlish to me, nobody is going to start new open access operations with some seating or internal carriage fittings...
I’d quite like the HST ones but I’d be happy with other locos/units as well like the Class 91 :)

skyhigh

Established Member

I believe Eversholt apply a total destruction order to all stock they scrap, in which case it's not up to the scrapyard if they can sell bits from it.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I believe Eversholt apply a total destruction order to all stock they scrap.
I've heard this lots - but what exactly is the point of it? It's not like any TOC is going to choose buying some old seat frames over leasing stock from Eversholt, are they?

I could see why they might not want the stock sold on in a serviceable condition, but presumably they could require that without needing a total destruction order

skyhigh

Established Member
I've heard this lots - but what exactly is the point of it? It's not like any TOC is going to choose buying some old seat frames over leasing stock from Eversholt, are they?

I could see why they might not want the stock sold on in a serviceable condition, but presumably they could require that without needing a total destruction order
I think it's just a blanket thing. It's easier to apply it to everything they dispose of (and have a standard contract for it with scrapyards) rather than to pick and choose what can be sold on by the scrapyards.

On Moderation
It’s Eversholt’s stock, they can apply a destruction order to it if they so wish and don’t have to give a reason.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It’s Eversholt’s stock, they can apply a destruction order to it if they so wish and don’t have to give a reason.
Maybe so but its still not cricket. Surely even they must see the difference between selling a few bits off to cranks and spares to a competitor. Back in the early 90s a loco group I'm involved with were given free rein at MC Metals to buy and recover parts for spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.