• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

pastures new ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry370

evening to everyone ,this is my 1st post on the forum and i find all the posts really interesting after browsing over the last few days

im hoping to start a career as a train driver after working with network rail for the last 17 years so wouldnt mind a little help/advice:

after a brief chat with a manager from freightliner he was keen for me to hand a cv in but only for a shunter position, would this be a good stepping stone into possibly becoming a driver in the not to0 distant future or is there a good chance i could be stuck in that role for a long time ?

the same applies for maybe trying to become a conductor with one of the toc`s ?

and lastly my job is very secure with network rail so in this current climate with covid am i taking a risk trying to join one of the train companies?

if anyone needs advice in regards to network rail ill happily help if i can too ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ross Little

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the group. I am yet to be lucky enough to have the opportunity to apply for any of those type of roles.

Wishing you the very best.

I'll certainly take any advice or assistance in regards to network rail etc.

I am looking for a career change after completing 17 years in my current career.

Best

Ross

harry370

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the group. I am yet to be lucky enough to have the opportunity to apply for any of those type of roles.

Wishing you the very best.

I'll certainly take any advice or assistance in regards to network rail etc.

I am looking for a career change after completing 17 years in my current career.

Best

Ross
thanks for the welcome ross

what do you currently do for a living and what do you fancy doing with network rail ?

Ross Little

Hi Harry,
It's not really something I can discuss in an open forum ... Would make sense if could explain.

Well I suppose if I was to be specific, I would like to become a driver - but happy to start wherever within reason. It doesn't have to be passenger trains.

At the same time, I would be very flexible to get my foot in the door. It's more about matching some of the important things I already have - job security - £40k per year mininum - pension etc.

Some of the above can be delayed to get my foot in the door, if makes sense ie the pension.

I'm 38, have a young family and need to ensure their lives are not changed. Difficult to make a career change after 17 years but I'm ready for the challenge.

I have applied to a few trainee driver roles near to me and have passed all online assessments but that's as far as they have gone, mainly due to covid.

Driver2B

evening to everyone ,this is my 1st post on the forum and i find all the posts really interesting after browsing over the last few days

im hoping to start a career as a train driver after working with network rail for the last 17 years so wouldnt mind a little help/advice:

after a brief chat with a manager from freightliner he was keen for me to hand a cv in but only for a shunter position, would this be a good stepping stone into possibly becoming a driver in the not to0 distant future or is there a good chance i could be stuck in that role for a long time ?

the same applies for maybe trying to become a conductor with one of the toc`s ?

and lastly my job is very secure with network rail so in this current climate with covid am i taking a risk trying to join one of the train companies?

if anyone needs advice in regards to network rail ill happily help if i can too ;)

Hi Harry!

Welcome to this forum!

I'm pleased to hear that you have found many interesting posts over the last few days. If you continue your application (and I hope that you will), you will find many of the answers to your questions already here if you use the search facility. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

TOCs and FOCs take trainees from both internal and external routes. Being a shunter could be a step towards being a train driver (especially with a FOC); in the case of a TOC, a guard (aka conductor or train manager) would probably be a more worthwhile step. However, there's nothing to stop you also applying straight away for trainee driver without the stepping stone.

Attempting to be a train driver is always a long shot, with reports of between 300 to over 1,000 applicants per job, and with the covid-19 situation, these ratios are not going to improve. However, I knew that it was a long shot when I applied and was also planning for plan B, but some people have to be successful, and there's no reason why it can't be you! Even though you would be an external applicant, 17 years of experience with Network Rail should (I would imagine) work heavily in your favour!

As your job is secure with Network Rail, hopefully you can apply for positions while keeping your current job until you have an offer.

A few tips:
* Visit the jobs/careers portal of all TOCs and FOCs in your area. Many will allow you to subscribe to new job ads so you will get an e-mail when new jobs are posted. Nonetheless, check the webistes of each of the TOCs and FOCs in your area every day for new vacancies.
* Subscribe to the https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/railway-jobs-careers.122/ forum so you get an e-mail for every new thread. Sometimes users post jobs here, and you will also find other valuable information.
* When you see a vacancy, be aware that they might be taken down when a certain number of applicants apply, even if before the deadline (I've known one taken down within 18 hours!). That's why it's important to check the websites of potential TOCs and FOCs every day. Most will require that you answer some questions (essay-style). Rather than rush these before the ad is taken down, you would be well advised to prepare some in advance and then just adapt pre-prepared answers to the specific questions for that ad. You are almost certainly going to be asked why you are applying for the role, and what knowledge, skills and experiences you have which qualify you for the role. They might ask questions where they are trying to assess your commitment to safety, your customer service experience, why you are leaving your current role and/or what you do in your personal life. These are sometimes similar to the MMI questions. When preparing your answers for such questions, look at job description and required skills for the role and try to include as much as those in your answers as you can. When you revise your pre-prepared answers for a vacancy, again, ensure that you have addressed their job description and what they're looking for in your answer.
* Familiarise yourself with the rest of the process, including assessments. The Group Bourdon Test is what you'll want to practise the most, as well as thinking ahead to the MMI questions!

I really hope that you do make it to trainee train driver, whether or not you make a stepping stone (shunter, guard, etc.) on the way there. The recruitment process is lengthy - don't expect any quick answers, but it will hopefully mean those who are just applying because it's advertised then rather than because it's a true goal will drop out. It will be gruelling and stressful - it's part of how they choose, and how the best applicants get through. But your experience with Network Rail will, I believe, stand you in good stead!

Once again, welcome to the forum. Search then ask if you need any more information!

Last edited:

harry370

Hi Harry,
It's not really something I can discuss in an open forum ... Would make sense if could explain.

Well I suppose if I was to be specific, I would like to become a driver - but happy to start wherever within reason. It doesn't have to be passenger trains.

At the same time, I would be very flexible to get my foot in the door. It's more about matching some of the important things I already have - job security - £40k per year mininum - pension etc.

Some of the above can be delayed to get my foot in the door, if makes sense ie the pension.

I'm 38, have a young family and need to ensure their lives are not changed. Difficult to make a career change after 17 years but I'm ready for the challenge.

I have applied to a few trainee driver roles near to me and have passed all online assessments but that's as far as they have gone, mainly due to covid.
pretty similar situations then :D

Hi Harry!

Welcome to this forum!

I'm pleased to hear that you have found many interesting posts over the last few days. If you continue your application (and I hope that you will), you will find many of the answers to your questions already here if you use the search facility. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

TOCs and FOCs take trainees from both internal and external routes. Being a shunter could be a step towards being a train driver (especially with a FOC); in the case of a TOC, a guard (aka conductor, train manager) would probably be a more worthwhile step. However, there's nothing to stop you also applying straight away for trainee driver without the stepping stone.

Attempting to be a train driver is always a long shot, with reports of between 300 to over 1,000 applicants per job, and with the covid-19 situation, these ratios are not going to improve. However, I knew that it was a long shot when I applied and was also planning for plan B, but some people have to be successful, and there's no reason why it can't be you! Even though you would be an external applicant, 17 years of experience with Network Rail should (I would imagine) work heavily in your favour!

As your job is secure with Network Rail, hopefully you can apply for positions while keeping your current job until you have an offer.

A few tips:
* Visit the jobs/careers portal of all TOCs and FOCs in your area. Many will allow you to subscribe to new job ads so you will get an e-mail when new jobs are posted. Nonetheless, check the webistes of each of the TOCs and FOCs in your area every day for new vacancies.
* Subscribe to the https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/railway-jobs-careers.122/ forum so you get an e-mail for every new thread. Sometimes users post jobs here, and you will also find other valuable information.
* When you see a vacancy, be aware that they might be taken down when a certain number of applicants apply, even if before the deadline (I've known one taken down within 18 hours!). That's why it's important to check the websites of potential TOCs and FOCs every day. Most will require that you answer some questions (essay-style). Rather than rush these before the ad is taken down, you would be well advised to prepare some in advance and then just adjust pre-prepared answers to the questions. You are almost certainly going to be asked why you are applying for the role, and what knowledge, skills and experiences you have which qualify you for the role. They might ask questions where they are trying to assess your commitment to safety, your customer service experience, why you are leaving your current role and/or what you do in your personal life. When preparing your answers for such questions, look at job descriptions for the role and try to include as much as those in your answers as you can. When you revise your pre-prepared answers for a vacancy, again, ensure that you have addressed their job description and what they're looking for in your answer.
* Familiarise yourself with the rest of the process, including assessments. The Group Bourden Test is what you'll want to practise the most, as well as thinking ahead to the MMI questions!

I really hope that you do make it to trainee train driver, whether or not you make a stepping stone (shunter, guard, etc.) on the way there. The recruitment process is lengthy - don't expect any quick answers, but it will hopefully mean those who are just applying because it's advertised then rather than because it's a true goal will drop out. It will be gruelling and stressful - it's part of how they choose. But your experience with Network Rail will, I believe, stand you in good stead!

Once again, welcome to the forum. Search then ask if you need any more information!
thanks for the welcome and the tips and advice given from yourself is extremley helpful so thank you kind sir :smile:
ive already signed up to all of the local tocs and focs so hopefully something pops up soon
thank you thats much appreciated in the advice given

Last edited:

OliverH68

No harm in changing jobs during a pandemic. I switched from IT to a planning role (currently in my 2nd week but had the interview back in August!). Both jobs are secure but I wanted a career change so went for it much to the surprise of my fellow colleagues.

I say if the chance is there, go for it! The railway generally is quite good for job security, so I don't think you would be doing yourself any harm by changing jobs.

harry370

No harm in changing jobs during a pandemic. I switched from IT to a planning role (currently in my 2nd week but had the interview back in August!). Both jobs are secure but I wanted a career change so went for it much to the surprise of my fellow colleagues.

I say if the chance is there, go for it! The railway generally is quite good for job security, so I don't think you would be doing yourself any harm by changing jobs.
yeah im thinking the same, i did speak to a guy who was working for northern at the end of the platform one day and asked how they was coping with covid and no passengers and he said they was losing millions and new recruits were being made redundant already so that did make me worry but could be totally false of course so im remaining positive and still going for it :smile:

Eebbs1912

Also can try for Otm driver operator Jobs. Colas are looking for folk just now.

skyhigh

Established Member
yeah im thinking the same, i did speak to a guy who was working for northern at the end of the platform one day and asked how they was coping with covid and no passengers and he said they was losing millions and new recruits were being made redundant already so that did make me worry but could be totally false of course so im remaining positive and still going for it :smile:
Complete rubbish. No train crew (or any other staff directly employed by Northern) have been made redundant, trainee or otherwise.

Driver2B

thanks for the welcome and the tips and advice given from yourself is extremley helpful so thank you kind sir :smile:
ive already signed up to all of the local tocs and focs so hopefully something pops up soon
thank you thats much appreciated in the advice given

You're welcome!

Glad to hear that you've signed up to all of your local TOCs and FOCs.

The process is long, and it's hard, but I would imagine that you stand a good chance of getting through.

Good luck!

richfoz84

Northern are still recruiting drivers and conductors.
They have made no redundancies to drivers!
I think this individual needs to get his facts straight.

Aivilo

Redundancies are not happening at Northern or any other toc due to covid.

While freight is stable at the moment I would seriously consider the volatility of it.

Regarding the shunter position it can be a positive move however there are no guarantees on progression into the driver role.

If your path is to driving I would solely look at those positions

Timpg

Although the shunter position could possibly get you a foot in the door.
my personal experience working for freightliner was that my depot was short staffed when I applied. ( although they wouldn’t admit it ), I ended up being held back from progressing to a driver position.
therefore I ended up applying to my local TOC instead, now I’m a few weeks away from pass out week.
that’s not to say shunters haven’t become drivers, was just my personal experience there.
I would have thought your current career with network rail would be considered a bit of a head start in regards to railway knowledge.

Crazyb

my personal experience working for freightliner was that my depot was short staffed when I applied. ( although they wouldn’t admit it ), I ended up being held back from progressing to a driver position.
therefore I ended up applying to my local TOC instead, now I’m a few weeks away from pass out week.
that’s not to say shunters haven’t become drivers, was just my personal experience there.
I would have thought your current career with network rail would be considered a bit of a head start in regards to railway knowledge.
Hope all goes well...I may see you out on the Iron road....I'll look out for you when I'm travelling to work...Have you had a pass comm yet, I might try it out...lol.

I don't miss Intermodal what so ever.....Just the guys.

harry370

Where was you based as a shunter?
it’s my dream to become a driver so I think going down the shunter route is worth the risk and also one step closer I suppose if I’m working for a foc

Timpg

Hope all goes well...I may see you out on the Iron road....I'll look out for you when I'm travelling to work...Have you had a pass comm yet, I might try it out...lol.

I don't miss Intermodal what so ever.....Just the guys.
Mate you can pull my pass com anytime hahahaaa!!
how you doing mate? Long time no see!
yes I’m sure we’ll cross paths at some point.

Where was you based as a shunter?
it’s my dream to become a driver so I think going down the shunter route is worth the risk and also one step closer I suppose if I’m working for a foc
I was based at Felixstowe.
I started there doing light running repairs to the intermodal wagons. Then did shunting then loading supervisor.
my problem was I added too many strings to my bow so to speak. Therefore they obviously didn’t want to loose me to the driver grade, only too have to replace me.

Sklee

I took the risk of changing careers during this pandemic, although I initially applied for a trainee driver role in March (just before it stated). I had job security, I am just finishing my notice period with the NHS as a Therapy Radiographer before I start with LNER in January, but felt that I needed to make the change as I didn’t know when the opportunity would arise again. The recruitment process is lengthy, there was a lot of waiting for correspondence and then everything seemed to happen all at once! Has it been a challenge...yes, but fingers crossed it’ll be worth it. Good luck with your journey, hopefully it will start soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.