• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pathfinder Tours Railtour Programme 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeder4

The two remaining Cambrian Coast tours have disappeared from their booking system, so I suspect they are the next casualties. At time of writing they're still displayed on the main website but you can't actually book on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
The two remaining Cambrian Coast tours have disappeared from their booking system, so I suspect they are the next casualties. At time of writing they're still displayed on the main website but you can't actually book on them.
Bugger, I’m booked on the Sheffield one. However, there was something about TFW wanting that path.

They were on the newsletter this morning though. Would seem odd cancelling them this far out from September.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Bugger, I’m booked on the Sheffield one. However, there was something about TFW wanting that path.

They were on the newsletter this morning though. Would seem odd cancelling them this far out from September.

I believe the path which they used between Shrewsbury & Mach has been taken by a Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth service. The last tour TfW agreed to put on a replacement bus for any passengers wanting that train (although I would imagine most would have waited for the following train depending on how slow the replacement bus was).

I guess it will be politics into if TfW gives up that path to allow a tour carrying X passengers to run to boost the local shops at the stops.

Iskra

Established Member
I believe the path which they used between Shrewsbury & Mach has been taken by a Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth service. The last tour TfW agreed to put on a replacement bus for any passengers wanting that train (although I would imagine most would have waited for the following train depending on how slow the replacement bus was).

I guess it will be politics into if TfW gives up that path to allow a tour carrying X passengers to run to boost the local shops at the stops.
It’s a tough one.

The tour is back on the website today. 0530 start from Sheffield :D

So now the Cardiff starting Cambrian has been moved to the date that was the Sheffield starting Cambrian tour, and the Sheffield one has disappeared altogether… I will be ringing Pathfinder this week!

Last edited:

3973EXL

Established Member
Pathfinder website https://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/the-cambrian-coast-express-august-september-2022/
NEWS: The Cambrian Coast Express.

After discussions with all parties involved, we have now been advised that the Saturday 12 August excursion cannot run due to capacity constraints along the Cambrian Coast Line, as Transport for Wales have recently introduced additional services in the new timetable since we submitted our request to operate this train.

However, we have made the decision to transfer this train to Friday 9 September, and to re-date the existing 9 September Cambrian Coast Express excursion which was starting from Sheffield, to 2023. A confirmed date will be announced in due course.

All passengers who booked on these two trains should have received a letter in the post from us by the time this announcement has been made.

Last edited:

1Q18

Do we have any idea whether strikes will be weekday or weekend? I don't think we do. I think we might expect the strikes to be lunchtime to lunchtime across two days to cause the maximum disruption for the lowest loss of earnings.

Point relevant to this thread is that no one yet knows what form the strike action will take but I wouldn't be so sure of it being just on Saturdays and / or Sundays. I would imagine that all railtours have the threat of cancellation hanging over them.
Simply, there is no idea. No industrial action has been announced as yet following the national ballot result. All that’s known is there is a mandate for strike action at Network Rail and all balloted TOCs except GTR. Honestly, the Pathfinder announcement sounds like they’re scapegoating RMT members to give themselves an out.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Simply, there is no idea. No industrial action has been announced as yet following the national ballot result. All that’s known is there is a mandate for strike action at Network Rail and all balloted TOCs except GTR. Honestly, the Pathfinder announcement sounds like they’re scapegoating RMT members to give themselves an out.
Eh? They haven't mentioned the RMT at all.

That said, even if Pathfinder had given that as the justification, RMT members can hardly complain that their mandate for strike action has delivered uncertainty...!

1Q18

Eh? They haven't mentioned the RMT at all.

That said, even if Pathfinder had given that as the justification, RMT members can hardly complain that their mandate for strike action has delivered uncertainty...!
I can’t quite imagine that the tour in question would have been binned before any actual industrial action has been announced if it was looking to be reasonably profitable. Surely Pathfinder would have waited for that announcement which is due in a matter of days.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can’t quite imagine that the tour in question would have been binned before any actual industrial action has been announced if it was looking to be reasonably profitable. Surely Pathfinder would have waited for that announcement which is due in a matter of days.
That is a big if. There are now few overseas travel restrictions so there is nowhere near the same 'staycation' market as last year or the year before. The cost of living crisis has significantly impacted people's disposable income.

Iskra

Established Member
Well that clear things up to an extent, but I do think Pathfinder could have communicated better with tour participants directly on this as I’m still yet to hear anything personally. For me this feels like a tour that just isn’t meant to happen, as I was originally booked on last years but a car crash ruled me out of it, and it now keeps getting pushed back and back. Hopefully the 2023 date is convenient.

Iskra

Established Member
Confirmed timings for next Saturday's Dorset Coast Explorer, which I'm on from Burton on Trent. Long day but I'm really looking forward to this one.

33025 and 33029 confirmed as the loco's too :)

Iskra

Established Member
Shouldn't be but guessing if they work this one fresh ones will be requested for next tour?
I’m not sure it works like that with such a small pool of loco’s. The fact that these two are operational and functioning means they are likely to keep turning up I think.

Paths are out:

Should be a decent break in Weymouth

bleeder4

Follows right behind the LSL charter on the Snow Hill line. Just a few scant minutes separate them at Stourbridge, Kidderminster, Droitwich and Worcester. I bet some passengers will mistakenly get on that one instead, it's bound to happen with two charters so close together.

New and rather interesting tour appeared for the 29th October:

2x WCRC 37s are the traction.

Iskra

Established Member
There is also The Canterbury Venturer with a pair of class 33’s and the Whistling Geordie with mainly a class 40 that does look a cracking tour, both also announced this week.

The move away from DRS and DB does seem to be leading to some much more interesting traction choices :)

ABB125

Established Member
There is also The Canterbury Venturer with a pair of class 33’s and the Whistling Geordie with mainly a class 40 that does look a cracking tour, both also announced this week.

The move away from DRS and DB does seem to be leading to some much more interesting traction choices :)
But there's nothing more interesting than a DB class 66...
:D

cambsy

On Moderation
I might look at doing the Cambrian Coast Express, from Cardiff or Newport, to Pwllheli, on sat 9th Sept, as looks a really good tour, Will the 97’s be double headed or T&T? Ill go in Premier Dining, if do the tour, as dining and 97’s and good scenery, should make for a cracking day out, Are any other people booked on this tour?

I might look at doing the Cambrian Coast Express, from Cardiff or Newport, to Pwllheli, on sat 9th Sept, as looks a really good tour, Will the 97’s be double headed or T&T? Ill go in Premier Dining, if do the tour, as dining and 97’s and good scenery, should make for a cracking day out, Are any other people booked on this tour?
They operate in double heading form (a lot easier to keep the train going if one of the 97s fails!). The only time they're T&T is during the run round at Pwllheli - but of course no passengers will experience that bit :lol:

43 302

Established Member
They operate in double heading form (a lot easier to keep the train going if one of the 97s fails!). The only time they're T&T is during the run round at Pwllheli - but of course no passengers will experience that bit :lol:
Not if it's a single run round!

Status
Not open for further replies.