• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Peak" class diesel-electric locomotive nose ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
For my 1,000th post, I am going to ask a question - or series of questions - on a subject which has puzzled me for many years....that of the different cab nose end designs of the "Peak" class (44, 45 and 46) diesel-electric locomotives. IIRC, from photographic evidence and three visits to Derby Works, there seemed to be originally four distinct variations....with a fifth (twin marker lights) added in the mid-1970s. As far as I can tell, the original allocation was as follows:

(A) D1-D10 (44 001-010): Disc headcodes with corridor connections.
(B) D11-D20 (randomly renumbered 45 001-077 and 45 101-150): split box roller blind headcodes with corridor connections.
(C) D21-D137 (randomly renumbered 45 001-077 and 45 101-150) either split box roller blind headcodes without corridor connections or central headcodes with a small dividing strip between second and third digits and rubber grommet surrounds.
(D) D138-D193 (46 001-056) One piece central headcode with no surrounding grommet.

IIRC, the highest numbered loco delivered with split headcode boxes was D109. As time went on, various locos were modified as they were overhauled or received collision damage repairs. 44 009 received a class 46-style one piece central headcode nose following collision damage and many - but not all - of the class 45s originally delivered with split boxes also received them at both ends. However, can anyone tell me why the D21-D109 batch were built seemingly randomly with either split box or central headcode nose ends and how the different designs were allocated?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Somewhere I read a similar query about the Class 31s and whether or not they had just discs, and so no headcode boxes in the cab roof, or headcode boxes. I think, although my memory has faded on this, that it was just due to using up the sub-assemblies of the type without boxes in the order they arrived, and some arrived after the first examples of the new type. As said, my memory is vague on this.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For my 1,000th post, I am going to ask a question - or series of questions - on a subject which has puzzled me for many years....that of the different cab nose end designs of the "Peak" class (44, 45 and 46) diesel-electric locomotives. IIRC, from photographic evidence and three visits to Derby Works, there seemed to be originally four distinct variations....with a fifth (twin marker lights) added in the mid-1970s. As far as I can tell, the original allocation was as follows:

(B) D11-D20 (randomly renumbered 45 001-077 and 45 101-150): split box roller blind headcodes with corridor connections.
(C) D21-D137 (randomly renumbered 45 001-077 and 45 101-150) either split box roller blind headcodes without corridor connections or central headcodes with a small dividing strip between second and third digits and rubber grommet surrounds.
(D) D138-D193 (46 001-056) One piece central headcode with no surrounding grommet.

IIRC, the highest numbered loco delivered with split headcode boxes was D109. As time went on, various locos were modified as they were overhauled or received collision damage repairs. 44 009 received a class 46-style one piece central headcode nose following collision damage and many - but not all - of the class 45s originally delivered with split boxes also received them at both ends. However, can anyone tell me why the D21-D109 batch were built seemingly randomly with either split box or central headcode nose ends and how the different designs were allocated?

I can’t answer the actual question but I think you’re fairly spot on with the rundown there.
What I’ve always wondered about is what were the class 45s originally built with (or planned to be built with) nose end doors intended to be used on? I wonder if @70014IronDuke has any thoughts..?

Taunton

Established Member
Bear in mind they were not built in numerical order. After the pioneer Class 44s, Derby continued with D11 (October 1960) to D49 (October 1961), then immediately changed to the Class 46 from D138 (October 1961) to D193 (January 1963). Crewe meanwhile started with D68 (October 1960) to D137 (December 1961), then went back and filled in the gaps of D58-67 (February to May 1962) and back again to D50-56 (May to December 1962). Any change to policy is going to be reflected in where they were up to with the construction, and not necessarily done at both works at the same moment.

My guess is the later Crewe ones had originally been meant for Derby, but the plans changed. A similar thing happened with the D1000 Westerns, built at Swindon and Crewe, where some were reassigned and built out of order.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think it depends on where they were built (Crewe or Derby). Have you looked at derbysulzers.com? That probably contains the answer.

Richard Scott

Established Member

If you go and see 45149 you'll notice it has two different ends, this was after a collision and the damaged end was rebuilt similar to a 46; was still D135 at the time.

ungreat

One class 44 had the one piece headcode bar at one end too, retaining the discs/doors the other end

The 44 with the one piece headcode one end was 44009. It also had different style side grilles to other 44s

Last edited:

I thought only D11 to D15 had connecting doors?

randyrippley

Established Member
One class 44 had the one piece headcode bar at one end too, retaining the discs/doors the other end

The 44 with the one piece headcode one end was 44009. It also had different style side grilles to other 44s
To my eye it had the look of a machine that was rushed out the door in a hurry with makeshift parts.
Those bodyside louvres on 009 could have been knocked out by a welder in an hour or two, much more quickly than the grilles on the rest. Were there labour or supply problems when it was built?

Snow1964

Established Member
Somewhere I read a similar query about the Class 31s and whether or not they had just discs, and so no headcode boxes in the cab roof, or headcode boxes. I think, although my memory has faded on this, that it was just due to using up the sub-assemblies of the type without boxes in the order they arrived, and some arrived after the first examples of the new type. As said, my memory is vague on this.

You are correct, I have a book on Brush diesel locos from late 1970s. The first batch had disc codes, next batch of cabs had been started before spec was changed to include 4 digit roller blinds, so a few more got the old style cabs.

The decision to change from steam age discs, to roller blinds must have been about late 1958 or early 1959, but I don’t know exact date. And clearly there was a transition period until roller blinds actually made it into the new builds.

Regarding the Peaks, I always thought this was a great photo published decades ago of a peak, with brake tenders, assisting a steam loco. The tenders have the later yellow ends, but loco is still green

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member

D10 also had the same design of grilles as D9.

Taunton

Established Member
Regarding the Peaks, I always thought this was a great photo published decades ago of a peak, with brake tenders, assisting a steam loco. The tenders have the later yellow ends, but loco is still green
WDs were unfortunately known only too well for poor brakes. One was sent to the S&D for a trial on the descent into Bath in the 1950s; the (unbraked) trial train had been given a fitted head in case of need, which alas, despite full steam brake, the inspector in charge had to order being brought into use ... goodbye WD.

Scottish author David L Smith described a loose coupled full train of poison gas shells going to Stranraer for disposal in 1945, where the WD in charge was running away ...

Preserved 45.108 has a 46 headcode panel fitted
A number of class 45s had a single glass panel rather than 2 adjacent small panels after accident damage. Preserved 45149 has different panels at each end.

Status
Not open for further replies.