• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Penzance GWR qualified driver info

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc804

Hi guys, I was hoping to apply for the GWR qualified driver positions advertised at Penzance and was hoping for some info on a couple of areas such as rostering, diagrams and Ts and Cs.

Is anyone a driver based down there that I could wither get in contact with or could DM me, or is there a specific depot page for Penzance?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi I’m also interested in applying, i
Know it for a talent but how long would you expect to be in the talent pool for before a start date? Also could someone explain the difference between the different types of links. Thanks and sorry for hijacking

sc804

Hi I’m also interested in applying, i
Know it for a talent but how long would you expect to be in the talent pool for before a start date? Also could someone explain the difference between the different types of links. Thanks and sorry for hijacking
There's a talent pool? Is this even for already qualified drivers?

sc804

Yes it says it in advert
Ah yes I see. I believe someone has explained different links in a previous post if you search.

If anyone would have an email for the Driver manager or recruitment down at Penzance or if any drivers are based there that would be able to answer a few questions that would be greatly appreciated.

irish_rail

Established Member
Talent pool is because all training is currently suspended due to Covid.

Link wise, they have a GWR link and HSS link, you would go into the GWR link, they do St Ives, Falmouth, Plymouth and possibly Exeter. Traction is 150 and HST , they may also sign 802s now tho not certain.

tiptoptaff

Established Member

Link wise, they have a GWR link and HSS link, you would go into the GWR link, they do St Ives, Falmouth, Plymouth and possibly Exeter. Traction is 150 and HST , they may also sign 802s now tho not certain.
Unless they've lost it, they also have 2+4 and 158s on the card

irish_rail

Established Member
Unless they've lost it, they also have 2+4 and 158s on the card
Yeah sorry I forgot 158s and 2+4 is more accurate than HsT as I dont think the gwr guys are technically trained on full length 2+8 only HSS drivers (not that we will ever see the like of them again sadly)

tommo1097

Bump on this thread. Would also like more information from a gwr driver if possible?

Have any of you qualified guys had an interview at all? Or been successful?

Last edited:

Efini92

Established Member

Did it used to be the case that you’d start in the local links then you could apply for the HSS links?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Did it used to be the case that you’d start in the local links then you could apply for the HSS links?
Yes but there will be no transfers to HSs any more. When all current HSS drivers leave, transfer or retire then the grade will cease to exist.

GWR will eventually cover everything. Penzance GWR will sign 802s if they don't already

Efini92

Established Member
I suppose those starting their careers in 20 years time will enjoy and nice variety of work

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I suppose those starting their careers in 20 years time will enjoy and nice variety of work
The GWR side will take over HSS work long before the grade is gone. It's already started. Bristol, Gloucester, Exeter and Reading GWR drivers all already sign IETs and HS routes

When Cardiff opens it'll be a GWR depot with HSS work from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.