• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

People who prefer the restricted things

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuralRambler

I am fine with you wearing a mask but to ask the obvious question, why do you wish to? The obvious answer is because you fear catching covid, but for over 99.9% of the population, it will do you no lasting harm. I speak as someone who had covid, and while it was unpleasant for about a week, it has done me no lasting harm.

It's 99.9% across the whole population. There'll be people who have a much greater risk factor for many reasons, i.e. obesity, prevailing medical condition, undergoing medical treatments, etc., so for some people, their "personal" risk factor would be a lot higher than that. Then you add the people who are close to those, i.e. those living in the same households who don't want to catch it and risk spreading it to their vulnerable household member. Not everyone falls into the "average" category. I suspect personal risk factors deciding personal actions will become very important in the coming months until we know, for certain, that the vaccines offer high enough protection against all current variants.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
We know someone (I won’t name names) who when walking into the entrance of a well known preserved railway last year, realised he hadn’t put his mask on and while struggling to do it one handed, tripped over the ‘Please wear a mask’ sign and threw his full cup of coffee over a passing (not best pleased) lady... ;)

Off-topic, but I was in John Lewis yesterday, and the perspex partitioning screens between tills had legs sticking out just waiting to be tripped over...

davews

I constantly bash the similar screens in Tesco with my trolley - which is about the only bit of the covid stuff they haven't got rid of yet.

bramling

Veteran Member
I constantly bash the similar screens in Tesco with my trolley - which is about the only bit of the covid stuff they haven't got rid of yet.

My local Tesco still has the horrendously irritating Covid PA message playing every 2 minutes or so, which gets extremely wearing after a while.

Mathew S

Established Member
What about the risk of our mask slipping over your eyes, obscuring your visions and causing you to trip and break your neck. With vaccines and the generally low prevalence of the virus, and clear evidence that masks do not protect the wearer, it's probably more likely.
Depends on the mask, how it's used, fit testing, etc. And anyway, I'm perfectly capable of embarrassingly injuring myself without a mask over my eyes (me + angry goose = written off Ford Ka and Sunday afternoon at Salford Royal is one of many stories :lol:).

bramling

Veteran Member
Depends on the mask, how it's used, fit testing, etc. And anyway, I'm perfectly capable of embarrassingly injuring myself without a mask over my eyes (me + angry goose = written off Ford Ka and Sunday afternoon at Salford Royal is one of many stories :lol:).

My work certainly had an increase in trips and falls down stairs after there was a push to get people to wear masks in communal workplace areas like corridors and stairwells.

The irony being that a minor injury could result in a trip to hospital, which is a pretty good way of being exposed to SARS-CoV-2.

Smidster

I know if doesn't really appear to be in the human condition at the moment but we all need to learn to be kind and forgiving over the coming few months.

While it is absolutely the case that for a large chunk of people they are really looking forward to things opening up and "normality" (myself included - all being well I will be at Wimbledon in a few weeks and have a load of events lined up for the Autumn) there will be an awful lot of people who for lots of different reasons are not going to be as immediately comfortable as others.

That is fine and to be expected - The last year has been pretty damn traumatic for many people who have lost loved ones in the most horrendous possible way or felt a real sense of personal danger just from leaving the home. To expect everyone to be as eager as you are to get out on June 21st is simply not going to happen

Time can heal - but it will take a long time to do so...Be Kind

kristiang85

Established Member
I know if doesn't really appear to be in the human condition at the moment but we all need to learn to be kind and forgiving over the coming few months.

While it is absolutely the case that for a large chunk of people they are really looking forward to things opening up and "normality" (myself included - all being well I will be at Wimbledon in a few weeks and have a load of events lined up for the Autumn) there will be an awful lot of people who for lots of different reasons are not going to be as immediately comfortable as others.

That is fine and to be expected - The last year has been pretty damn traumatic for many people who have lost loved ones in the most horrendous possible way or felt a real sense of personal danger just from leaving the home. To expect everyone to be as eager as you are to get out on June 21st is simply not going to happen

Agreed - just it works both ways; as people shouldn't be judged for continuing caution, others shouldn't be judged for going out and having fun again (not directed at anybody here, but you just know certain sections of the media and social media will be on their high horse over people going to the pub or heading off to an airport).

nlogax

Established Member

Well said.

(not directed at anybody here, but you just know certain sections of the media and social media will be on their high horse over people going to the pub or heading off to an airport).

Media and social media are true pot-stirrers in situations like this one. The more we can filter that stuff out the better.

Mathew S

Established Member

Where's that 'like' button when you need it...

greyman42

Established Member

I am not sure what you are getting at here? If people wish to continue to spend the rest of their lives at home, wearing masks and jumping out into the road to avoid people, that is fine by me. I have no reason to hold a grudge towards these people but they must not expect the vast majority behave in the same manner.

Drogba11CFC

I'm fine with that. I am not fine, however, with people who constantly demand that everyone stay locked down.

Cdd89

Established Member
I absolutely agree with this. It's a shame some of those pushing restrictions didn't show the same consideration to others, e.g. those who found it difficult to wear masks or unable to stay at home for months, but that's no reason not to show compassion in the other direction.

The main problematic context I foresee will be people who want two seats on trains/buses forevermore. I'm honestly not sure what the socially acceptable way is to resolve that whilst showing compassion, but also having a usable public transport network as things get even busier.

johnnychips

Established Member
Unless there are evidently two empty seats nearby where you can sit, then just sit down, or say ‘excuse me’ and then sit down. I really don’t think the terrified people would be on a train anyway.

Mathew S

Established Member
The main problematic context I foresee will be people who want two seats on trains/buses forevermore. I'm honestly not sure what the socially acceptable way is to resolve that whilst showing compassion, but also having a usable public transport network as things get even busier.
I think probably it's to do that most un-British of things and talk to a stranger :lol:

Seriously though, to build on what I said in an earlier post (and this is in no way aimed at anyone in particular, just an explanation of how I, and I believe some others, will feel):

If someone just comes along and plonks themselves in the seat next to me, on an empty-ish train, I'm going to be miffed. I mean, I would have been pre-Covid as well, but now I'm going to be seriously miffed.

But, on a busy train, where it's the only extra seat, all it's going to take is a, "Hi, sorry, this is the only seat I can find," and I'm going to be fine with it.

I certainly wouldn't expect you to stand or anything like that, kindness needs to run both ways. In fact, the chances are I'm just going to go and stand in the vestibule / get off and give you the double seat to yourself anyway!

I'm aware not everyone's as polite as me, but I agree with @Smidster. It's going to take some people (Hi there!) longer than others to be comfortable getting back to 'normal.' In the meantime, I think there'll be fewer arguments if we all try to just be compassionate to those who are probably just feeling a bit scared and overwhelmed.

Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
I said before on another thread that, since we've been able to meet friends and go to (outdoor) pubs, things have felt a bit 'odd' for me.

I am not scared of catching Covid and am delighted to see my friends again. But it's so long since we've sat together in a group that it just feels 'odd'. I think there will be a lot like me - not scared of Covid, delighter that restrictions are lifting, but just will take a little getting used to, given the way we've lived for the last 14 months (with a brief respite of kinds in the Summer).

The first time I met friends after the pubs re-opened, it felt 'odd'. We followed every rule in place and were absolutely safe but it still felt like we were being a little bit naughty meeting up.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Unless there are evidently two empty seats nearby where you can sit, then just sit down, or say ‘excuse me’ and then sit down. I really don’t think the terrified people would be on a train anyway.
Unfortunately the scared and pro lockdowners want to be able to do what they think is ok but you have to bend to their desires. So they will want to go on the train but you have to act on that train exactly as they would like it.

Well there will be no change from me for sure

bearhugger

My work certainly had an increase in trips and falls down stairs after there was a push
Yes, being pushed at the top of stairs can have that effect ;)
Personally I'll be glad not to wear a mask indoors / on public transport anymore, and for the limitations that make it so hard for the business like pubs / cafes to operate as they should to finally be gone.

OldNick

I think masks will be a new normal. I can't imagine Covid-19 being a one off.

Certainly helps with those members of the public who have no interest in brushing their teeth and then sit next to you, or breathe all over service staff.

Darandio

Established Member

Certainly helps with those members of the public who have no interest in brushing their teeth and then sit next to you, or breathe all over service staff.

If masks are the new normal then expect self diagnosed exemptions to become even more normal than they are now.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Thats the point, Covid wasn't a one off we've had plenty of these things before and we didn't react in this way.

kristiang85

Established Member
Our Director in work is convinced we will become a society where we will wear masks if we get ill, e.g. like Japan.

I somehow can't see it happening. And I'm sure the environment lobby will be calling for them to be gone once COVID is over; they are a complete nuiscance once discarded. It seems all the progress made on plastic straws, plastic bags, etc. was a complete waste of time.

RuralRambler

If masks are the new normal then expect self diagnosed exemptions to become even more normal than they are now.
He said normal, not obligatory. Lots of people may choose to continue wearing masks indoors and in busy places as is their right and they should be allowed to do that without ridicule etc. I can't imagine it will be a legal requirement for the longer term.

bramling

Veteran Member
He said normal, not obligatory. Lots of people may choose to continue wearing masks indoors and in busy places as is their right and they should be allowed to do that without ridicule etc. I can't imagine it will be a legal requirement for the longer term.

Yes not so long ago people would have found covered faces a matter for concern. It certainly makes it easier for people to conceal their face, useful if they are up to no good. I’m sure places like banks will be only too pleased to see the end of masks.

On a related note, why do some people feel the need to post their vaccine status on social media? Seeing quite a few Facebook profile pictures with an “I’m fully vaccinated” backdrop. It this people essentially saying “you can meet up with me, I’m clean”, or perhaps “aren’t I special, I’ve had the vaccine, not a granny killer”? I find it a very odd thing to do.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Stupidity tends to get ridiculed; I don't see how one could expect it not to be the same for this.

Locktivists have been really comfortable handing out the slurs to anyone who doesn't agree with them 100%

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
On a related note, why do some people feel the need to post their vaccine status on social media? Seeing quite a few Facebook profile pictures with an “I’m fully vaccinated” backdrop. It this people essentially saying “you can meet up with me, I’m clean”, or perhaps “aren’t I special, I’ve had the vaccine, not a granny killer”? I find it a very odd thing to do.
People do love a Facebook badge. Personally I've still got a pro-European one set, so I'm not calling anybody else out for theirs. Overall it's probably less irritating than people who've got about a paragraph of #FBPE and other assorted hashtags in their Twitter name.

Purple Orange

On Moderation

This. If someone feels the need to wear a mask, they should be allowed to do so without someone ridiculing them as a “locktivist” and what have you.

takno

Established Member
This. If someone feels the need to wear a mask, they should be allowed to do so without someone ridiculing them as a “locktivist” and what have you.
Certainly not a matter of ridicule, but we are quickly going to get to a point where somebody in a mask is as likely to be a threat to personal safety as somebody concerned about germs. At that point the types of places that use CCTV are going to have to be able to politely but firmly require people to take them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.