• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Permitted routes Didcot to Sherborne

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
A few friends and I are planning to meet up in the rather splendid Dorset town of Sherborne for lunch & a beer or two. Lots of good looking pubs to choose from in this town.

One of us is travelling from Didcot. The NRES website gives a Anytime Return (SDR) fare of £39.20 via Bath. However, I wouldn't want to trust the 6 minute connection there; the journey only takes 12 minutes longer via Reading & Basingstoke, with reliable looking connections.

Would I be right to advise him to travel on the £39.20 fare via Reading? Is it a permitted route between Didcot & Sherbourne? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks for the help.

The SDR fare will get him to Sherbourne for 11.30, while waiting for the CDR would mean a 12.30 arrival. Fortunately, (as members of the group will arrive from both directions) both the hourly Up & Down trains arrive at Sherbourne at about the same time.

So, as the Anytime ticket is not much more expensive than the Off Peak one on this flow, we'll probably go for the earlier arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.