• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Personal favorite train from the 2010s....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class465pacer

Hitachi 8xx series no question. Fast accelerating, sounds great, clean, modern, is electric capable so great for the environment. The future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
How many votes for 68 are just because LHCS good, MU bad? I personally don't really like them for the simple reason of the amount of noise they produce.

I quite like the 397s myself, for the UK. Those and the Bombardier Flexity trams, though they're not really trains.

For Europe, probably DB ICE4 or Abellio Mitteldeutschland Alstom Coradia LINT.

397s aren't proving too reliable, as today at Manchester Piccadilly demonstrated.

py_megapixel

Established Member
397s aren't proving too reliable, as today at Manchester Piccadilly demonstrated.
It's the same with those who like Pacers. They'll admit that they are rubbish trains, but they personally enjoy them.

Similarly, I know the 397s are unreliable, but they are also very nice trains when they do work.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The Mk5 has a higher quality interior in terms of the panelling etc (but a bad layout in Standard). Has a very European feel to it. That said, I prefer the lack of blinds on the 397.

I reckon I'll go for 80x. The seats are rubbish, but the train is overall pretty good. Or the FLIRT, but they are (surprisingly) having reliability issues.

delt1c

Established Member
For me has to be 380's. They go about their daily tasks effortlessly. They work suburban services and fast services. they look good and are reliable.
As for locos, if we could include complete rebuilds it would be the 73's on the sleepers, the body shell may be old but below the skin they are a new loco.
It's the same with those who like Pacers. They'll admit that they are rubbish trains, but they personally enjoy them.

Similarly, I know the 397s are unreliable, but they are also very nice trains when they do work.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why? Nobody's making you put the blind down!

No, but I may be subject to someone else deciding to put it down. They are mostly not confined to one seat, which is precisely why I think they're a bad idea. Horizontal mounted blinds or curtains are much better as each window seat occupant can decide for themselves.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No, but I may be subject to someone else deciding to put it down. They are mostly not confined to one seat, which is precisely why I think they're a bad idea. Horizontal mounted blinds or curtains are much better as each window seat occupant can decide for themselves.
Oh I see... not sure why I didn't think of that :s

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Or half-length blinds such as on some Japanese trains!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
To be honest, I didn't really like any train built after 1963, apart from the HST, but definately nothing built after 2010.

Off topic, I took a wry liking to the Class 321s when introduced, the 313's on the Southern Coastway and the early-build Class 377s.

Most modern stock in my opinion is ugly, scruffy (depending on TOC) and uncomfortable.

But I'm just a grumpy ol' git with rose-tinted spectacles...

superalbs

Established Member
The Mk5 has a higher quality interior in terms of the panelling etc (but a bad layout in Standard). Has a very European feel to it. That said, I prefer the lack of blinds on the 397.

I reckon I'll go for 80x. The seats are rubbish, but the train is overall pretty good. Or the FLIRT, but they are (surprisingly) having reliability issues.
Didn't think the Mk5 sets had blinds? When I went on one, there were slots for them, but nothing actually there.

trebor79

Established Member
They are also the source of annoying rattling when the train is at speed.

superalbs

Established Member
I agree. Was surprised to see curtains on Chiltern hauled sets. It obviously wasn't busy, but it would be useful if it was, prevents arguments, and also is much more effective at blocking out the sun.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I agree. Was surprised to see curtains on Chiltern hauled sets. It obviously wasn't busy, but it would be useful if it was, prevents arguments, and also is much more effective at blocking out the sun.
Have you ever actually had a verbal argument with someone over this, or just a few rounds of periodically passive aggressively setting the blinds to your preferred position?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
This presumably means an absolutely thunderous amount of noise.

Whether that is good or bad is in the eye (or rather, the ear) of the beholder.
I've only had a brief foray into first class on the Mk5a sets (whilst the catering attendant sorted my coffees as we left Huddersfield) and considering how loud the 68s sound when they pass, I was surprised (and the gricer in me was slightly disappointed ;) ) at how little I could hear the loco. Whatever criticism can be rightly levelled at the coach design, sound insulation isn't one of them.

james60059

Unit wise: Class 172 - Big Improvement for the Nuneaton - Coventry - Leamington line.
Loco wise: Class 68 - Shifting the loaded stone over Stenson Junction when they were utilised on 6U76/77, definitely awesome sound 8-)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Unit wise: Class 172 - Big Improvement for the Nuneaton - Coventry - Leamington line.
Loco wise: Class 68 - Shifting the loaded stone over Stenson Junction when they were utilised on 6U76/77, definitely awesome sound 8-)
I've only used 172s between Smethwick GB and Bordesley, but they wipe the floor with any similar diesel units. If only the proposal for extra units for such services in the "not London" areas had been taken forward...

Hmmmm.

I quite like the Class 700s actually. They're quick, and despite the hard seats I find them quite comfortable because of how spacious they are and how good the air conditioning is. I like the Class 345s and 710s for similar reasons.

The 195s are pretty good too. I wouldn't rank them above a 170 although I'd put them about on par with a 185.

I guess I have to mention the 800 family because of how big of an impact they've had, although I'm not a huge fan honestly. They have great performance and depending on the TOC they look quite nice, but that's where my fondness for them ends. I bet in 40 years or so when they're retired I'll miss them though. I'll probably grow to appreciate them as I get older.

NewClee153

Locomotive - 68, I love the power of the engine, could listen to it all day. MU - 172, they sound a little bit like Dennis Dart buses, gives them some personality

Status
Not open for further replies.