• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Prices are finally heading downwards in Poland. My local petrol station is selling fuel for 7.40PLN, or the equal of 132p. The cheapest I know is at Auchan (supermarket), at 7.21PLN / 1.29p. These prices are with the lowest possible excise duty and VAT at 8% (normal VAT: 23%).

ABB125

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed that unlike a few year's ago the supermarkets are NOT the cheapest in many towns for fuel? Hinckley Tesco last Sat was selling fuel and both were 3p a litre more than the Esso one on Bond Street. Asda similar in many areas whereas a few year's ago they used to be the first to reduce fuel prices. Look at Trago Mills and many others that have really reduced prices, non or few are supermarkets.
That certainly seems to be the case here in Birmingham (for petrol; I don't normally look at diesel, as it's irrelevant to me!). Sainsbury's Castle Vale was 182.9, 183.9 at Northfield. Meanwhile, there are three Esso garages just over half a mile apart on the A38 north of the M6. All three had different prices(!), two were in the mid 180s and one was 176.9 (whereas diesel was a rather steep 193.9). Guess where I filled up? :D (And I got Nectar points too...)
And then there's the Esso garage on the Northbound A38 in the city centre just before it becomes the A38(M). This was an eyewatering 193.9 petrol and 199.9 diesel!

My cheap fuel prices app tells me that the cheapest around here is Costco at 169.7, but you need to be a member to buy stuff there. Next cheapest is Jet on the A435 north of Hollywood at 174.9. Commendations are also due to Texaco, with a number of low prices too.

DannyMich2018

That certainly seems to be the case here in Birmingham (for petrol; I don't normally look at diesel, as it's irrelevant to me!). Sainsbury's Castle Vale was 182.9, 183.9 at Northfield. Meanwhile, there are three Esso garages just over half a mile apart on the A38 north of the M6. All three had different prices(!), two were in the mid 180s and one was 176.9 (whereas diesel was a rather steep 193.9). Guess where I filled up? :D (And I got Nectar points too...)
And then there's the Esso garage on the Northbound A38 in the city centre just before it becomes the A38(M). This was an eyewatering 193.9 petrol and 199.9 diesel!

My cheap fuel prices app tells me that the cheapest around here is Costco at 169.7, but you need to be a member to buy stuff there. Next cheapest is Jet on the A435 north of Hollywood at 174.9. Commendations are also due to Texaco, with a number of low prices too.
I agree about Texaco. On my way from work today it was 180.9 for petrol and 192.9 diesel. Sainsburys just round the corner might have been a few pence more but bit far to see clearly price. I'll check in the morning, this is in Kettering. It's disappointing Asda don't want to be the cheapest considering most of their fuel stations are self service only (no kiosk, pay at pump card only) so virtually no staff costs.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Spotted: 179.9p yesterday in Plumstead, London. Lowest I've seen for a long time, anywhere.
I paid that at the Esso just off J9 of the M1 last Friday (nectar points offer). On the return leg of my journey on the Sunday the service station at Stafford Services was 205.9

Quite a spread

py_megapixel

Established Member
Don't forget many petrol stations are not run by the company whose branding is on the forecourt - it could be operated by a third party such as EuroGarages or Motor Fuel Group, or by a local business, with an agreement with one of the large oil companies to sell fuel and use their brand. To some extent they can set their own prices, which partially explains the variations in price within the same brand.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Don't forget many petrol stations are not run by the company whose branding is on the forecourt - it could be operated by a third party such as EuroGarages or Motor Fuel Group, or by a local business, with an agreement with one of the large oil companies to sell fuel and use their brand. To some extent they can set their own prices, which partially explains the variations in price within the same brand.
I can quite believe that, the lower price felt very off brand shall we say! No toilet either but a full bladder meant a fuller wallet

ABB125

Established Member
And to add to that, I'd imagine that it depends on the price that the garage paid for the most recent delivery. If they need to sell it for X in order not to make a loss, they aren't going to sell it for less if the price goes down.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I agree about Texaco. On my way from work today it was 180.9 for petrol and 192.9 diesel. Sainsburys just round the corner might have been a few pence more but bit far to see clearly price. I'll check in the morning, this is in Kettering. It's disappointing Asda don't want to be the cheapest considering most of their fuel stations are self service only (no kiosk, pay at pump card only) so virtually no staff costs.

The whole buyout of Asda was somewhat bizarre, and given the new owners ran petrol stations - perhaps they want to ensure they make money from the stations rather than aiming to be competitive. For a while, customers will just assume Asda is cheap - as well as seeing the convenience of filling up while shopping at Asda.

roversfan2001

Established Member
My local Tesco still a rather steep 186.9. The premium stuff is 193.9 so I'm currently undertaking an experiment to see if it's worth the extra!

Ted633

Has anyone else noticed that unlike a few year's ago the supermarkets are NOT the cheapest in many towns for fuel? Hinckley Tesco last Sat was selling fuel and both were 3p a litre more than the Esso one on Bond Street. Asda similar in many areas whereas a few year's ago they used to be the first to reduce fuel prices. Look at Trago Mills and many others that have really reduced prices, non or few are supermarkets.
Yes, it is a bit odd! Here in South Surrey, we have a Texaco, Shell, Esso & 2 Supermarkets. The Supermarkets were always the cheapest and Texaco was always the most expensive (sometimes almost 10p more than the supermarkets), with Shell & Esso in the middle. All of a sudden, Texaco is now our cheapest, with Shell now the outlier being much more expensive than the others!

nlogax

Established Member
Cheapest yesterday around here was 179.9 last night just over on the London / Surrey border. Seems to have crept up again by a couple of pence overnight though.

DannyMich2018

Yes, it is a bit odd! Here in South Surrey, we have a Texaco, Shell, Esso & 2 Supermarkets. The Supermarkets were always the cheapest and Texaco was always the most expensive (sometimes almost 10p more than the supermarkets), with Shell & Esso in the middle. All of a sudden, Texaco is now our cheapest, with Shell now the outlier being much more expensive than the others!
Texaco near to Sainsbury's here in Kettering was 180.9 for petrol today but at Sainsbury's itself 300yds away was 183.9. All big 4 supermarkets here in Kettering have petrol stations so you'd think that would keep prices down. Evidently not.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Anyone want to bet the supermarkets might one day be found to be colluding in a cartel like fashion?

trainmania100

Established Member
Added 300 miles to my range for 65£ at 189.9 yesterday at Esso peacehaven.
Now brings my range up to 450 miles. Strange how my range no longer shows 540 miles on a full tank. Perhaps it knows the E10 is rubbish

DelW

Established Member
Added 300 miles to my range for 65£ at 189.9 yesterday at Esso peacehaven.
Now brings my range up to 450 miles. Strange how my range no longer shows 540 miles on a full tank. Perhaps it knows the E10 is rubbish
Your car's trip computer can't tell what sort of fuel you've just put in.

The predicted range is extrapolated from consumption on your most recent trip(s). If you've been making short urban trips it'll predict a shorter range than if you've been making longer lower-consumption trips.

I've sometimes thought it would be interesting to see the algorithm that different cars use as their basis for range calculations, since I've seen some oddities on mine in the past.

DannyMich2018

On way walking to work today went passed Sainsbury's Kettering and then the nearby Texaco- Texaco were 2p a litre cheaper petrol and 3p a litre cheaper diesel.

The exile

Established Member
Was amazed to notice diesel on sale last Friday in various outlets in Belfast at 179.9 - even more so when I get back here (Bristol area) to discover that 189 -194 is still the norm. Don’t think fuel duty is devolved, or is it?

Russel

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I'd recommend checking petrolprices.com before filling up, while prices are relatively stable as they are currently it's pretty accurate, but when they're changing every day it struggles to keep up but still gives you a good idea of where to go...

Established Member
Fuel station opposite Llandovery station yesterday was selling Unleaded for 174.9p/l. Asked if that was typical for the area, and they said no, their fuel was cheap.

I was then chatting to the conductor on the train back to Cardiff, who told me when prices first started going up, they got absolutely roasted by the locals for price gouging, their fuel apparently being a good 20p/l more than everyone else's... funnily enough they didn't mention that in the shop!

DannyMich2018

Fuel steadily coming down. Texaco Kettering near Sainsbury's down to 184.9 unleaded, 194.9 diesel today, both cheaper than Sainsbury's prices by 3 or 4p per litre.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The three supermarkets in Penzance have kept a unified price for days now, with petrol down by just 2p and diesel 1p, at levels much higher than some quoted in the last few posts. A few years ago, and for many years before that, if I drove to London I would always fill up locally beforehand, as nowhere on my journey was cheaper or even the same. Not now.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I'm now down to a quarter tank, and on Monday I've got to make a long journey.

I've been putting off filling up in the hope prices drop by a couple more pence - now wondering how late to leave it given the local Tesco garage apparently ran out of fuel (again) yesterday.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Costco just £1.71 this week though.

I would really like to know why the supermarkets are holding off the reductions, and I strongly suspect we're going to find out they've been colluding to keep prices high.

Perhaps they're simply waiting to sell through all the fuel at the higher price, having had more stock, but it does seem rather crazy to see them still at £189.9 when you hear of £1.7n elsewhere and even some places £1.6n!

Snow1964

Established Member
I would really like to know why the supermarkets are holding off the reductions, and I strongly suspect we're going to find out they've been colluding to keep prices high.

Perhaps they're simply waiting to sell through all the fuel at the higher price, having had more stock, but it does seem rather crazy to see them still at £189.9 when you hear of £1.7n elsewhere and even some places £1.6n!

Same around here supermarkets are few pence more expensive than BP, Esso etc.

The local Tesco is selling E5 99ron for just 7p more than E10 95ron, and seeing as my car seems to get about 12% better mileage with super with less biofuel that is bonkers