• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

DelayRepay

Established Member
I would really like to know why the supermarkets are holding off the reductions, and I strongly suspect we're going to find out they've been colluding to keep prices high.

Perhaps they're simply waiting to sell through all the fuel at the higher price, having had more stock, but it does seem rather crazy to see them still at £189.9 when you hear of £1.7n elsewhere and even some places £1.6n!
Perhaps they were expecting prices to continue to rise, so they've hedged the wrong way and are now committed to buying at a higher price?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sultan

Many garages in North West Surrey are now between £1.74 and £1.79 for regular unleaded.

TheEdge

Established Member
I saw to the beautiful sight of 179.9 in Norwich today. Weirdly at a Nisa/Jet, the supermarkets are staunchly sitting at 182/184.

david1212

Established Member
161.9 at the Shell on Portland, cheapest in the area as I understand, even cheaper than Morrisons and Sainsburys in Weymoith.

Unusual for a Shell to undercut the supermarkets. I have booked to stay in Weymouth in July so will remember. ....

I don't know the prices at Morrisons or Sainsburys in Weymouth last week but Friday for E10 the Portland Shell was 183.9p / litre while now can not recall diesel. Hence I drove past given that Thursday Tesco in Seaton were 181.9p / litre and the Esso at the A3052 / B3172 junction was 179.9p / litre. Had I not come up on it suddenly and the other side of the road I would have filled up there.
Back on the Monday Murco and another at Harmons Cross were 183.9p / litre.

Having not filled up since the day before setting off and not enough in the tank to get home last Monday I diverted to Morrisons in Yeovil as Tesco is on dual carriageway between two roundabouts only accessible travelling south.
E10 unleaded was 172.7p / litre and diesel either 184.7p or 185.7p / litre. Hence I brimmed the tank :D. That was £72 and 99.9% my largest ever single payment for fuel.

Driving back while I didn't pass any large supermarkets most were close to or over 190p / litre for E10 unleaded and 199.x or just below for diesel.

I expected the similar prices to Yeovil around home but no. ASDA are 182.9p / litre E10 unleaded and 194.9p / litre diesel, just slighly down from 2 weeks ago :frown: .

dgl

Established Member
I don't know the prices at Morrisons or Sainsburys in Weymouth last week but Friday for E10 the Portland Shell was 183.9p / litre
E10 Is now 181.9 at Shell on Portland, interestingly on Tuesday Rampisham garage was only 187.9, one garage that is (understandably) normally more expensive that anywhere. I believe Lanehouse Esso is also 181.9

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Suddenly, prices down 5p per litre today, but petrol still costs over 180p a litre.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Paid 187.7 for diesel at Asda earlier. Everywhere else is still charging over 192 round here. Was quite pleased as I was down to a quarter tank and have a long journey on Monday. Last time I filled up it was 199.9. Never thought I'd see £1.88 a litre as cheap!

Sadly my savings were wiped out when I agreed to let my neighbour's teenager wash the car for a fiver (but it's for charity and he's a good kid so fair enough).

jon0844

Veteran Member
That proves they were profiteering. The oil price has been dropping a few cents a time for some while now.
I had no doubt they were doing this, and all the supermarkets near me waited a long time to the extent that BP* and Shell were cheaper for a while.

The question is, what is anyone going to do about it? I suspect absolutely nothing.

* not the service stations of course. BP South Mimms was still £1.99 this weekend according to Waze. That's around 30p a litre more than the lowest reported price in the UK.

Ediswan

Established Member
I don't normally ask for a full receipt unless there is a VAT clawback involved. However, on 21st July I did suspect that £1.979 for diesel might be a record, so I have kept that receipt as a souvenir.

341o2

Established Member
I have recently seen diesel at £2.04 a litre, another issue for me, is that my car, like others of Japanese manufacture, does not run well on E10 and have been advised to to try E5, which is not only more expensive, but the nearest filling station is closed for a major rebuild, the next closest, the co-op doesn't sell E5, which means around 5 miles to the nearest stockist. E10 is currently £1.85 locally, but it is well known that retailers on the New Forest, being a tourist area add a few pence to the cost of virtually everything

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That proves they were profiteering. The oil price has been dropping a few cents a time for some while now.

that’s not right. There was a substantial, steady fall in the oil price from mid June to the second week of July, where it lost 15% of price, and since then it has held in the region of $105 (Brent) $98 (West Texas Intermediate). What has also happened in the last two weeks is that the pound has gained about 3% on the dollar.

it takes a couple of weeks for oil price changes to fed through to the pump, and for the last week each have seen the effect of the fall from 3 weeks ago.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
that’s not right. There was a substantial, steady fall in the oil price from mid June to the second week of July, where it lost 15% of price, and since then it has held in the region of $105 (Brent) $98 (West Texas Intermediate). What has also happened in the last two weeks is that the pound has gained about 3% on the dollar.

it takes a couple of weeks for oil price changes to fed through to the pump, and for the last week each have seen the effect of the fall from 3 weeks ago.
In that case, how come Sainsburys in Penzance reduced their petrol price by 5p to 180.9 yesterday while the same firm made the same reduction in another part of the S.W. on the same day, which brought its price down to 170.9? In both cases, the previous price had been static for well over a week. It indisputably reveals profiteering in my town at least, with all three supermarkets virtually next to one another only showing 1p per litre variations at most, and all receiving fuel deliveries at least once a week with both petrol and diesel.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In that case, how come Sainsburys in Penzance reduced their petrol price by 5p to 180.9 yesterday while the same firm made the same reduction in another part of the S.W. on the same day, which brought its price down to 170.9?

It depends largely on:

1) the cost base of the location concerned
2) the price paid for the relevant fuels that went into the station’s tanks
3) what the local competition are doing.

birchesgreen

Established Member
170.9 and 189.9p at the 2 Esso stations at either end of the Aston Expressway, i know the town one is always more expensive but blimey

DannyMich2018

Fuel at Asda Hinckley today down to 177.7 unleaded and 186.7 diesel. Tesco Hinckley is 187.9 unleaded and 196.9 diesel. Rip off Tesco!!

jon0844

Veteran Member
It depends largely on:

I suspect 3 plays the biggest part. Why rush to cut the price if your rivals aren't (not that I'm suggesting any supermarkets talk to each other and agree on if/when they might adjust prices...).

It's odd how that now Asda has cut its price by over 10p, as if by magic, the other supermarkets cut their prices too. Wow. It's like Tesco and Asda bought the fuel at the same time, and stocked the stations at the same time, and it ran out and was refilled at the same time. What a coincidence! Absolutely not the sign of a cartel in operation at all.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It depends largely on:

Sainsburys actually increased petrol by 1p today, and diesel went up too by at least 1p, because it's over 190p which it wasn't yesterday. It's no. 3 on your list that applies, plus all the well-heeled holidaymakers down here. Tesco's petrol station is a quarter mile away, and is today 5-7p dearer on the two fuels, but was no less busy than Sainsburys. I called in there to buy a Sunday Times: I knew the guy at the till, who's friendly and open, and made an uncritical remark about their prices. He gestured out of the window as a very expensive 4x4 made a total hash of parking anywhere near the pump's nozzle and smilingly remarked ''what do they care?'' As for cost base, if Penzance for years offered the lowest petrol prices on a return journey to London, including the suburbs there, it hasn't suddenly altered! It's blatant profiteering by a cartel.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Fuel at Asda Hinckley today down to 177.7 unleaded and 186.7 diesel. Tesco Hinckley is 187.9 unleaded and 196.9 diesel. Rip off Tesco!!
For years i drove an extra 6miles to goto Tesco Extra usually 10p/L less than the local BPs but hasn't been for many months and they are often highest around here now. They used to tap into supplies from around Europe and probably Russia but with market so tight now those options aren't available to them readily.

Sultan

Well it's still £1.98.9 (yesterday) for E5 unleaded in Belsize Park, London at the BP garage. But then it's always 15-20p more expensive than anywhere else as it's located in one of the poshest areas of London, and presumably those who use it can easily afford it.

It will be interesting, though, if it changes over the next few years as many people on that area move over to fully electric.

david1212

Established Member
Asda just dropped over 10p in one go. Took their God damn time!

This morning ASDA 175.7p /litre for E10 unleaded and 187.7p /litre diesel, which is 7p / litre down from last week but still 2p / litre more than I paid last Monday at Morrisons in Yeovil.

roversfan2001

Established Member
177.9p for E10 at the Shell at Haydock (M6 J23) today. The cheapest I've seen in a while and the first time I've filled up at a Shell garage in a long time!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Local Asda in South Manchester was charging 174.9p per litre today for petrol, previously 10p more a week ago.