• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol and diesel prices - how much have you been paying?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
According to my cheap fuel app, Frankley services northbound on the M5 is 170.9 for petrol, in line with the cheapest garages in Birmingham. Really cheap!

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
According to my cheap fuel app, Frankly services northbound on the M5 is 170.9 for petrol, in line with the cheapest garages in Birmingham. Really cheap!
10p cheaper than the lowest supermarket price in Penzance, which has none of the costs associated with running a motorway service station!

jon0844

Veteran Member
10p cheaper than the lowest supermarket price in Penzance, which has none of the costs associated with running a motorway service station!
I'm absolutely convinced we're going to see someone whistleblow about some collusion in the coming weeks or months.

The supermarkets all seem to have held on for way longer than usual, then issues press releases announcing huge cuts in one go. Maybe they liked the sound of saying they'd slashed 7 or 10p a litre, when I think most people would have been happy to have it it cut earlier in smaller steps.

Russel

I'm absolutely convinced we're going to see someone whistleblow about some collusion in the coming weeks or months.

The supermarkets all seem to have held on for way longer than usual, then issues press releases announcing huge cuts in one go. Maybe they liked the sound of saying they'd slashed 7 or 10p a litre, when I think most people would have been happy to have it it cut earlier in smaller steps.

It's really shocking that more people aren't calling the supermarkets out on the recent fuel price reductions, if Asda can drop price by 5 pence over night with the others then following, you have to ask why they didn't do it sooner?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Normally it would be the other way round...
Sorry, I underestimated the price difference, which is actually 11p per litre i.e. 181.9 as against 170.9. Can someone tell me if there has been any other petrol station in the country which has increased the price of their petrol (by 1p per litre) in the last week, like Sainsburys Penzance has done? I bought it there on Monday last week for 180.9, and I have the receipt to prove it.

DannyMich2018

Texaco Kettering near Sainsbury's down to 171.9 unleaded and 182.9 diesel today. Sainsbury's itself a penny more for both. Not sure of Tesco yet as they are other end of town away from Sainsburys, Asda Morrison's so will likely charge more.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Dropped to 6.70PLN now for unleaded, so 120 in UK-speak. I wouldn't be surprised if it's down to 6.60PLN tomorrow, or around 118.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Oil price was off massively today, and is now back at prices last seen 6 months ago. If it stays there (expect a temporary bounce tomorrow), then we will be nudging prices in the high £1.50s / low £1.60s by the end of this month.

Personally I’m running on fumes to wait until it drops a bit more!

Russel

I've been checking petrolprices.com daily for a few weeks now mostly out of curiosity, my local Asda has been 171.7 for about a week, Thursday afternoon it was 170.0p and now back to 171.7p, I'm guessing this was someone submitting the wrong price rather than actual price fluctuation.

ABB125

Established Member
Now 165.9 for petrol at Esso on the A38 through Bromford. Compared to 186.9 (or it might have been 184.9) at the other end of the A38(M)!

The prevailing price at Shell, meanwhile, is 171.9

DannyMich2018

Tesco are still charging more than they should. Last night in Hinckley they were at 177.9 unleaded, Essso on Bond Street Hinckley were 172.9.

Devonian

Now 165.9 for petrol at Esso on the A38 through Bromford. Compared to 186.9 (or it might have been 184.9) at the other end of the A38(M)!

The prevailing price at Shell, meanwhile, is 171.9
I thought that was getting perilously close to Trago Newton Abbot's 'cheapest in the country' price ... but they are down to 158.9 for Shell unleaded.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I thought that was getting perilously close to Trago Newton Abbot's 'cheapest in the country' price ... but they are down to 158.9 for Shell unleaded.
They obviously use petrol as a 'loss leader', or a 'no-profit leader' at any rate.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Oil price was off massively today, and is now back at prices last seen 6 months ago. If it stays there (expect a temporary bounce tomorrow), then we will be nudging prices in the high £1.50s / low £1.60s by the end of this month.

Personally I’m running on fumes to wait until it drops a bit more!

high £1.50s came about earlier than I expected!

meanwhile I owe @jon0844 an apology, as I am now coming round to the view that there is something funny going on with supermarket petrol pricing.

cactustwirly

Established Member
high £1.50s came about earlier than I expected!

meanwhile I owe @jon0844 an apology, as I am now coming round to the view that there is something funny going on with supermarket petrol pricing.

The supermarkets round me are the same price as the Shell garage!

Otherwise they've only been 1p or 2p cheaper

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The supermarkets round me are the same price as the Shell garage!

Otherwise they've only been 1p or 2p cheaper
They are undoubtedly profiteering, but probably (rightly) reckon that a zombie government will do nothing if they stick together.

DannyMich2018

Today at Hinckley Asda unleaded down to 170.7 which is great. Tesco still charging 177.9!! Diesel 2p cheaper per litre at Asda too.

Cletus

Established Member
Also £177.9 at Tesco in Dover for petrol yesterday. It doesn't help that there is no other supermarket locally for them to have to compete with.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Sainsbury's Castle Vale is now 165.9 petrol. Finally matching the price of the Esso a few miles down the road!

I never thought I'd feel happy to see fuel prices in the £1.60s!

I wonder what's really going on here - I cannot understand why prices have dropped so much in the last couple of weeks.

ABB125

Established Member
I never thought I'd feel happy to see fuel prices in the £1.60s!

I wonder what's really going on here - I cannot understand why prices have dropped so much in the last couple of weeks.
I believe it's a combination of reduced wholesale prices and the pound strengthening against the dollar (so oil is cheaper to buy). I expect @Bald Rick will be along shortly explain more

DelayRepay

Established Member
I believe it's a combination of reduced wholesale prices and the pound strengthening against the dollar (so oil is cheaper to buy). I expect @Bald Rick will be along shortly explain more
I'm sure @Bald Rick will give a perfectly sound economic reason for what's happening. But, personally, I prefer a good conspiracy theory!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Oil price fall from two weeks ago feeding through.

albeit it’s not feeding through in St Albans - still £1.779 at Sainsbury’s here!