• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petrol panic buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sales of chocolate bars and confectionery have been declining in recent years, particularly with more people becoming conscious of healthier eating and fitness. Younger adults are eating less of the stuff.
Now we have the boss of Nestlé suggesting there could be a shortage of chocolate before the end of the year.
Is he hoping for a bit of panic buying, perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I find this petrol crisis quite amusing. I’ve filled up with petrol 3 times since it began. The petrol station I use has 12 pumps.

1st time – 2 other cars there, though they had run out of diesel which could partly explain why it was so quiet.

2nd time – All pumps being used but no queue. Petrol and diesel both available.

3rd time – About 5 other vehicles there. Petrol and diesel both available.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I find this petrol crisis quite amusing. I’ve filled up with petrol 3 times since it began. The petrol station I use has 12 pumps.

1st time – 2 other cars there, though they had run out of diesel which could partly explain why it was so quiet.

2nd time – All pumps being used but no queue. Petrol and diesel both available.

3rd time – About 5 other vehicles there. Petrol and diesel both available.
It's all very dependent on where in the country you live. Personally there were a few days when nowhere had fuel but now the petrol stations all seem to be open with no major queuing, albeit higher prices than before.

dgl

Established Member
I've just filled two-dozen Tesco bags-for-life with Unleaded, if you're interested PM me... :lol:
You can't believe some people's stupidity, I mean using plastic bags to store fuel?!?! Absloute madness!

You should have used the foil lined freezer bags, you need the foil for static protection and it helps stop the fuel leaking out, have you not seen the "safe for fuel storage" on them? :D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You should have used the foil lined freezer bags, you need the foil for static protection and it helps stop the fuel leaking out, have you not seen the "safe for fuel storage" on them? :D
I would have, but I needed to use the foil to fashion some protective headgear to stop the Government from reading my thoughts... You can't be too careful! ;)

Sm5

Just spent the day riding vintage buses from Cobham on Route 93 between Putney and Dorking… great day out.

I did notice many fuel stations along the way, are either with fuel or sold out, probably 50/50 split, however encouragingly those with fuel didnt have queues… it looks like people are bored with queuing for fuel, so hopefully its just a case of refueling the surrey fuel stations.

XAM2175

Established Member
I mean, I'm not, as I always question everything, and take information from multiple sources, but I doubt most people do that so....
Thank you for providing such a wonderful demonstration of virtue signalling.

PeterC

Established Member
I get the feeling that distribution of standard grade fuel has been prioritised over premium grades. I have seen a lot of garages in Essex and East Anglia this weekend with yellow clips over the hoses for premium unleaded and diesel.

Stopped at a garage in Essex today only to find that they only had diesel. Filled in Romford but only standard unleaded and diesel available.

nlogax

Established Member
I get the feeling that distribution of standard grade fuel has been prioritised over premium grades. I have seen a lot of garages in Essex and East Anglia this weekend with yellow clips over the hoses for premium unleaded and diesel.

Yes, I agree. It definitely looked that way in SW London and Surrey yesterday. Only standard unleaded widely available, not much of the other stuff.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Same here. All the garages I’ve seen only have normal fuel in stock. Personally have never understood the point in the premium products, but then again in the past few weeks they are more important than ever as certain older cars no longer run properly on standard petrol since they changed the “recipe.”

MattRat

On Moderation
Same here. All the garages I’ve seen only have normal fuel in stock. Personally have never understood the point in the premium products, but then again in the past few weeks they are more important than ever as certain older cars no longer run properly on standard petrol since they changed the “recipe.”
Makes me a little conspiratorial to be honest, both in forcing older cars to be phased out, and the slow destructions of premium/luxury products....

py_megapixel

Established Member
Makes me a little conspiratorial to be honest, both in forcing older cars to be phased out, and the slow destructions of premium/luxury products....
To describe high-octane fuel as a "luxury" product seems disingenuous. It's not really a higher end version of the same thing - it's sold because certain cars need it, and just happens to be more expensive to produce so is sold for more.

There are plenty of things to be concerned about in this country - I think this is making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

skyhigh

Established Member
Why would the garages want to destroy sales of their product with a larger margin?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Why would the garages want to destroy sales of their product with a larger margin?
Maybe they were concerned about the potential for brand damage if too many people were "forced" to buy the more expensive fuel.

XAM2175

Established Member
  1. Why would fuel companies be "forcing" the phasing-out of older cars?
  2. What "slow destructions" of premium/luxury products are alarming you?

Starmill

Veteran Member
The average weekly road fuel price time series published by the government says that last week prices reached 136.1 pence / litre, nearing the all time high.

The average weekly road fuel price time series published by the government says that last week prices reached 136.1 pence / litre, nearing the all time high.

Unfortunately it’s going to keep on rising if some of the forecasts for crude oil prices turn out to be correct.
$83 a barrel today.
Some forecasts suggest $100 a barrel by the year end and gradually rising towards $200 a barrel over the next 4 years.
Others forecast a levelling off by early next year.

Last edited:

Acey

Went out to get some petrol just now,first time in 5 weeks ,first garage ( my local ) a few cars ,no queues ,no problems just no diesel ( Bromley SE London ,or Gods own country- Kent,depending on your point of view )

341o2

Established Member
The New Forest, being a tourist area always adds a few pence, typically 138 & 142.
However, things are back to normal. Asked yesterday, told there would be enough to go around provided there isn't another round of panic buying

reddragon

Established Member
We are down to 6 oil refineries and this one is in deep trouble and likely to close

Stanlow oil refinery ‘on brink of collapse’ as crisis talks continue

Essar Energy locked in negotiations with HMRC over VAT payment delayed because of pandemic

Many of the others are now on minimal investment as the industry contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:

nlogax

Established Member
My local area appears to still be short on diesel and super unleaded. Also beginning to see fuel creep up into the 1.50-ish range.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Also beginning to see fuel creep up into the 1.50-ish range.

Yes, I saw lots of places over £1.50 yesterday. If sustained, this will start pushing passengers on to the rails.

On the subject, I heard an interesting conspiracy theory yesterday. It suggests that the Government had a short term cash flow crunch at the halfway point of the financial year, and the quickest way to get a quick billion was to trigger the panic buying (via BP) and get an extra billion or so extra litres of fuel sold in the space of a few days, bringing in a wedge of tax revenue. (Road fuel being one of the most highly taxed products there is, and widely used).

I do not buy the theory myself, but this came from someone who is normally very sensible!

HST274

Back to normal near me in the sense there is plenty of fuel, but prices have risen, though again not to the extent other prices have.

Status
Not open for further replies.