• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographic Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Didcot Parkway for Freightliner and EWS 66s
Reading for Freightliner 66s, EWS 60s and 66s, Mendip Rail/Hanson Jumbo stone trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LucaZone

Cheers for the places Rich, however most of those are reachable by car only, and although I dont mind driving, Id perfer to do this sort of thing by travelling around on the rail network itself. They have been noted down in Google Earth though as locations to visit :)

Anything that passes through Reading Station, should be spotable all the way from West Drayton right? I think Talow would be more suitable in the right light. As you can get some good shots of trains curving round the relief line paltforms.

Im a little undecided whether I prefer line side or slightly elevated shots. Some of my favourites were take at Didcot North where you get a nicely composed curve line view as well as the raised position to look down from. Apart from being at the west end of platform 5, everything at Reading is in a straight line and your next to it.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Ahh Taplow.. my second home.. :lol:

Can get some good curved shots from plat 4 (trains coming from the east) albeit its a bit boring for me now.. but let me know if you decide to go there and I'll come out and say hello ;)

Sprog

Established Member
Im planning a FULL day of linesiding on the Didcot - Reading section of the GWML.

Places such as Moreton North and south Cutting and Cholsey.

No platform ending what-so-ever. Just using trains to get to/from Didcot/Cholse and Reading, plus wherever else we feel like going!

Ill keep you posted! :)

LucaZone

Being in work full time, getting down the line during the week is pretty mucha no go unless its from 4pm onwards.

I am however free to attend next Tuesday afternoon, as was thinking of heading to Oxford - Hinksey Yard, where if my investigations are correct, there is a footbridge which crosses over the line and yard? originating from a houseing estate?

When were you thinking of head out between reading & Didcot?

LucaZone

Update on two locations

Hinksey Yard Foot Bridge
Excellent location for a week day or weekend. Bridge has 5ft sides but is made of large mesh so you can clearly see everything around you. The bridge crosses over the Running lines between Oxford and Radley as well as the dead centre of Hinksey Yard, right above the control hut.

main yard is used for shunting maintenance trains (track overhaul), and a ballast loading siding is also there. Lots of Autoballasters and Seacows around.

Train wise, its great for anything that runs through Oxford. You get very clear view from a long distance to prepare for approaching trains. There is an EWS shunter in the yard moving wagons around as well as 66's in EWS and Freightliner. Ive even seen double head 66 trains entering and exiting the yard.

Slough Station
I would advise that you dont attempt to take pictures at this station. The staff are VERY strict about this. Unless you have official business to be taking pictures, they will not allow such activity under any circumstances. Station staff wont let you into the station without a ticket anyway, and dont like anyone hanging around at all. I have had threats of Camera confiscation as well as physical eviction.

The staff at this station are hired to deal with yobs and less desireables every day so they have no hesitation about putting Train enthusiasts in the same social catagory, and treating them equally.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
LucaZone said:
Slough Station
I would advise that you dont attempt to take pictures at this station. The staff are VERY strict about this. Unless you have official business to be taking pictures, they will not allow such activity under any circumstances. Station staff wont let you into the station without a ticket anyway, and dont like anyone hanging around at all. I have had threats of Camera confiscation as well as physical eviction.

The staff at this station are hired to deal with yobs and less desireables every day so they have no hesitation about putting Train enthusiasts in the same social catagory, and treating them equally.
Odd, when I went to nab the Blue Pullman I didn't have any problems :|

jonb

Established Member
I've also had no problems at Slough in the past...The station is'nt really that great anyway bearing in mind you have Langley one side and Taplow the other.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
jonb said:
I've also had no problems at Slough in the past...The station is'nt really that great anyway bearing in mind you have Langley one side and Taplow the other.

Indeed Jon. I've had problems at Langley however. Due to FGW staff shouting half way down the platform at me basically saying "not allowed to do that here" even though the guy who shouted at me saw me walk down the footbridge steps with my camera in hand..

Wonders will never cease. I won't be going there again anytime soon thats for sure.

And Jon next time you're down my way give me a shout and I'll come say hello :)

LucaZone

I was there on official business in this instance. Having approached the staff in order to get to the Duty Managers office because I wasnt prepared to buy a ticket, I was refused entry because the Duty Manager was not around, and to come back 2 hours later! If I made any attempt to photograph the station I would be detained for the BTP to deal with, "Terrorism and all that" was the comment. Not a chance as this was a week day and I had to go to work.

The next day at the same time I tried again, this time with the Duty Manager around. However again entry was refused because they didnt have any paper work and they did not permit any such photography (personal, commercial, educational, referencial or legal) at Slough. Great another trip wasted.

On the third day I had made the necessary arrangements with First Great Westerns Corporate people, and had the paper work in hand on my arrival. The staff duelly accepted and I proceeded to the Duty Manager for that day. Yet ironically this guy didnt even care! He certainly seemed alot more senior than the staff of the previous days, and his position was that if I was not attempting to get anywhere that the public are not permitted then I was quite welcome to take pictures, and thanked me for making the effort to get official permission from FGW! Sheesh!

However despite all this comedy just to take some pics, having ok'd the session with the Duty Manager, having notified several security staff of my presence, I was STILL stopped and questioned 4 times in 45 minutes! Twice on Platform 2, once on Platform 4 and again on Platform 5, by dispatch staff.

So hence the reason for advising against it, purely for the hassle you can expect. Although because its busy at work, and I didnt want to loose the time, this was all taking place between 8 and 9am. Which COULD account for the staff being on edge.

jonb

Established Member
50149 said:
And Jon next time you're down my way give me a shout and I'll come say hello :)

Deffo gotta be done, i'll probably be down your way soon anyway...

Coxster

Established Member
joea1 said:
Click on the List Them button then ;)
Ever thought people might not actually know where all those places are, hence why I suggested looking at the main page so they can click the trainspots in the area of where they wish to photograph... :roll:

rmt

Craig said:
I think the guy on the right has just realised that he might be a stoat.

I think so.

Was sent this by a guy at Doncaster PSB who I talk to. He knows most of the guys in the photo, and offers his opinion here.
pict56210pg.jpg

Jordy

Established Member
Will be staying near Epping in a few weeks, anyone know any good photting locations near there? I dont mind if its over on the GEML, in fact, that would be ideal! ;)

Any help appreciated

Jordy

Jordy

Established Member
Joe H said:
I don't think any part of the GEML is near Epping!

Not that near no, but not 100 miles away ;)

(IE Around the Brentwood ISH area, I dont mean it has to be within a 1 mile radius of Brentwood ;)

Jordy

RJ

Established Member
Letsomm Estate, Peckham, South London

A backstreet in between Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye, this is a principle spot to catch freights between Kent and the North. There is a large gate for staff to access the railway, which is surrounded by trees, so quite good cover although the shadows lie on the tracks. The line is favoured over the SET Mainline for freight and railtours, so you can expect to see Steam Engines, Classes 20, 31, 37, 47, 56, 66, 67 and 92s. Also using the line are coal trains from Lydd Town and Stoneblower moves from Ashford, which produce 20s, 37s and quite rarely, 47s. Also, most trains heading South stop for the signals to clear. Good place to get some thrash from the Fresh Air Express.

Its best for viewing things heading North.

http://rjhamilton.fotopic.net/p29870942.html - Looking South
http://rjhamilton.fotopic.net/p33626280.html - Looking North

Warning:

This is Peckham. The spot is right next to a large estate, which I've seen large groups of youths smoking weed at the entrance, and they will eye you up and possibly approach you if they don't like the look of you. I haven't had any trouble off them, but its not a place to have your equipment on show, like some here like to do...

Good luck!

Directions

I said its in between Denmark Hill and Peckham Rye, so just follow the tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.