• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photographic vantage points along the Camp Hill line, Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
(Apologies if this is not in the correct forum)

I have recently moved to Birmingham as a student, and thus am slowly exploring the local rail network.
Although there are plenty of nice photo spots next to the canal on the line via Selly Oak, nothing of interest runs along that line (normally!). Freight etc runs along the Camp Hill line. I cycled roughly parallel to this yesterday, from Mosely to King's Norton in search of any photo spots, but rather disappointingly I couldn't really find any. The line seems mostly to be in a wooded cutting. The only passable views were from two overbridges in succession, these being Cartland Road and the A4040 south of King Edward school in King's Heath.
Could any locals let me know if I've missed something? Or whether I should take a look at the line south of King's Norton (4 track but)?
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternS

Try (a) the Homebase car park at the top of King's Heath High St (behind EasyGym) and (b) on/around Montpellier St in Balsall Heath - the 250m or so section of line from here-ish across Highgate Rd to the south on Ombersley Rd is on an embankment with many fewer houses although side-on views only. You'll probably get more curious looks at the latter, but potentially more hassle from any store security at the former (the car park is private property but it's fairly large and shared by a number of stores - pick a quiet spot and, as always, be prepared to be polite in explaining what you're there doing around other people's cars, if there are any present)..

ABB125

Established Member
Try (a) the Homebase car park at the top of King's Heath High St (behind EasyGym) and (b) on/around Montpellier St in Balsall Heath - the 250m or so section of line from here-ish across Highgate Rd to the south on Ombersley Rd is on an embankment with many fewer houses although side-on views only. You'll probably get more curious looks at the latter, but potentially more hassle from any store security at the former (the car park is private property but it's fairly large and shared by a number of stores - pick a quiet spot and, as always, be prepared to be polite in explaining what you're there doing around other people's cars, if there are any present)..
Thanks, I'll take a look next time I'm out.
Are you familiar with the King's Norton to Longbridge section, enough to make similar recommendations? No problem if not.
Edit: including the stations themselves? I've been through countless times, but never actually visited.

Chris 76

Another possibility is where the line crosses Avenue Road, Kings Heath (between the Homebase and Cartland Rd locations already mentioned). In Kings Heath park you can get close to the Avenue Road bridge by following paths into the trees in the NE corner of the park. The path along the NW edge of the park also gives views of the line, although there's a lot of tree cover. Btw, Avenue Road becomes Dad's Lane somewhere near the bridge, but I think a bit north of it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
(Apologies if this is not in the correct forum)...
No worries :)

For a query like this, potentially either the Trip Planning section , or the Photography Advice section are appropriate; it really depends on the focus of your thread, and is pretty much your choice :)

ABB125

Established Member
Another possibility is where the line crosses Avenue Road, Kings Heath (between the Homebase and Cartland Rd locations already mentioned). In Kings Heath park you can get close to the Avenue Road bridge by following paths into the trees in the NE corner of the park. The path along the NW edge of the park also gives views of the line, although there's a lot of tree cover. Btw, Avenue Road becomes Dad's Lane somewhere near the bridge, but I think a bit north of it.
Thanks. I went down the Pineapple Road side at that point. I'll have a look next time.
No worries :)

For a query like this, potentially either the Trip Planning section , or the Photography Advice section are appropriate; it really depends on the focus of your thread, and is pretty much your choice :)
Trip planning didn't really occur to me, probably because it's not a trip as such, I'm living up here now as opposed to simply visiting for the day! Although it is a good few miles away.
I suppose I could cheat and throw in a statement like "OMG what a lot of trees there are on the cuttings and embankments! Maybe they should chop some down" (in order to create more vantage points!), thus both answering my question and generating a "proper" Infrastructure topic!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Bolton Road just off the A45 alongside St Andrews Junction used to give decent views from trains coming off the Camp Hill Line. Longbridge station is not a bad shot. Northfield is alright.

ABB125

Established Member
Bolton Road just off the A45 alongside St Andrews Junction used to give decent views from trains coming off the Camp Hill Line. Longbridge station is not a bad shot. Northfield is alright.
I looked briefly around there on a map, but it's pushing it slightly in terms of how far is be willing to cycle, especially at the moment when I'm not familiar at all with to the city! I may well end up there one day though. That's why it's really irritating that there's a lovely, flat canal towpath to use - it just runs next to the wrong line! I'll aim to have a look at the stations once I've settled down a bit.

Bevan Price

Established Member
If your funds permit occasionally, a West Midlands Daytripper will make it easier than cycling to visit several stations on one day, to see which, if any, you prefer. See:

The site contains a link to a map showing the stations where the ticket is valid.
Unfortunately, one of the best stations for freight photography - Water Orton - is just outside the ticket area.

On my occasional visits to the area, Longbridge was quite good, but Kings Norton & Northfield suffer a bit due to disused island platforms getting in the way sometimes. There is also some freight using the line via Solihull to Leamington and the south. I would suggest Widney Manor or Dorridge are worth a visit.

Ostrich

If you are looking for freight, it might be worthwhile checking out the "Sutton Park" line (not the "Cross-City" line) on the north-east side of Birmingham. It runs from near Water Orton (see Bevan Price's post) to Walsall. There are some good locations in and around the Newhall Country Park (Walmley) which is easily accessible by bus from the city centre; I'm sure other photography enthusiasts with knowledge of the area could point you towards other decent locations on that line.

ABB125

Established Member
If your funds permit occasionally, a West Midlands Daytripper will make it easier than cycling to visit several stations on one day, to see which, if any, you prefer. See:

The site contains a link to a map showing the stations where the ticket is valid.
Unfortunately, one of the best stations for freight photography - Water Orton - is just outside the ticket area.

On my occasional visits to the area, Longbridge was quite good, but Kings Norton & Northfield suffer a bit due to disused island platforms getting in the way sometimes. There is also some freight using the line via Solihull to Leamington and the south. I would suggest Widney Manor or Dorridge are worth a visit.
If you are looking for freight, it might be worthwhile checking out the "Sutton Park" line (not the "Cross-City" line) on the north-east side of Birmingham. It runs from near Water Orton (see Bevan Price's post) to Walsall. There are some good locations in and around the Newhall Country Park (Walmley) which is easily accessible by bus from the city centre; I'm sure other photography enthusiasts with knowledge of the area could point you towards other decent locations on that line.
Thanks both, I'll take a look at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.