• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

platforms 4 and 5 at London Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are southwestern cleared to use these platforms
I think you mean Southeastern? I've never seen anything other than a Thameslink in those platforms.

Whether or not Southeastern could use them in an emergency under sever disruption, I'm not sure - but if they did, there wouldn't be anywhere for the Thameslinks to go.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Platforms 4 and 5 at London Bridge can't be accessed from Cannon Street.

It would seem that they can be accessed from Charing Cross if running straight on from the Charing Cross slow lines at Ewer Street Junction but it is very difficult to see any scenario when Southeastern would need to use this route.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
That has sort of answered a query that I was about to ask about London Bridge. I seem to be using this station more often now, sometimes with quite connections, am I right in assuming that platforms 1,2 3 are for services to / from Cannon Street, 4 & 5 for Thameslink north/south bound services, 6 & 7 both for services from Charing Cross and 8 & 9 for services To Charing Cross. and 10 onwards are the terminating platforms, which I think used be low level, but now appear to be high level.

Veteran Member
That has sort of answered a query that I was about to ask about London Bridge. I seem to be using this station more often now, sometimes with quite connections, am I right in assuming that platforms 1,2 3 are for services to / from Cannon Street, 4 & 5 for Thameslink north/south bound services, 6 & 7 both for services from Charing Cross and 8 & 9 for services To Charing Cross. and 10 onwards are the terminating platforms, which I think used be low level, but now appear to be high level.
Yes, with some flexibility for engineering work, except that the terminating platforms are on the same level as before - there is a new pedestrian level underneath.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Indeed, Thameslink can use platforms 3 and 6 when 4 and 5 aren't available or there is a need for an overtaking move.

When Southeastern run via Redhill from Charing Cross, their trains still use 6-9 rather than the Thameslink platforms.

Thameslink can run through 6-9 (in practice usually 7/8) for overnight engineering work (non-stop).

There aren't any Southeastern trains from Charing Cross to the Greenwich line.

Last edited:

Gerard92

Southeastern did use platforms 4 & 5 just before Thameslink officially ran a full services through London Bridge High Level since then I have not seen any SE services use 4 & 5

Kite159

Veteran Member
This is going back a couple years (early May bank holiday weekend in 2018) when engineering works meant South Eastern were running Charing Cross - Orpington stoppers going via Woolwich & using the curve near Lee, I'm pretty sure those trains went via platform 4 at London Bridge to access the Deptford lines as Lewisham was closed.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
This is going back a couple years (early May bank holiday weekend in 2018) when engineering works meant South Eastern were running Charing Cross - Orpington stoppers going via Woolwich & using the curve near Lee, I'm pretty sure those trains went via platform 4 at London Bridge to access the Deptford lines as Lewisham was closed.
Yes, I remember using something like that through P4.

Ian Hardy

Yes, I remember using something like that through P4.
The Early May 2018 Bank Holiday weekend Cannon Street was closed as well as all the lines through New Cross. Southeastern were running 6tph Charing Cross to Slade Green via pts 4 (DN) & 5 (UP) at London Bridge & Greenwich, from Slade Green 2tph to Gillingham, 2tph to Dartford and 2tph to Orpington via Crayford, the Lee Spur & Grove Park. The Up services were the first to use the Southwark Reversible Line through the Bermondsey Diveunder.

Aictos

Established Member
Just to correct you but Platforms 10 to 15 are considered to be part of London Bridge Lower Level because while it may not seem to be the case, the though platforms eg Platforms 1 to 9 are actually on a uphill gradient from the south end of the platforms to the north end of said platforms.

This is easily noticeable from any platform between 10 to 15 and looking across to platform 9.

Other then that you have everything about platform allocation correct.

By the way, Platforms 10 to 15 are also cleared for Thameslink services even though they don't have raised platforms in the middle of the platforms for step free access from train to platform which is used when there's disruption in the Core or further north on either ECML or MML, also during engineering works.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There's also a small connection from to the Charing Cross lines from the Sussex lines which tend to be used by Hastings / Tunbridge Wells services on diversion via Redhill.

Kite159

Veteran Member
There's also a small connection from to the Charing Cross lines from the Sussex lines which tend to be used by Hastings / Tunbridge Wells services on diversion via Redhill.

Is that the connection also used when the Thameslink Rainham services start/end at platform 6 at London Bridge (when the line was closed north of West Hampstead due to works relating to the new station)?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Is that the connection also used when the Thameslink Rainham services start/end at platform 6 at London Bridge (when the line was closed north of West Hampstead due to works relating to the new station)?

No they can regularly do this in engineering works, that connection is at Abbey Street Junction. Spa Road Junction allows the Sussex Lines to get to the Kent Lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.