• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platforms of Last Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomnick

Established Member
i assume you are a driver. how do you get/retain route knowledge of rarely used track, like plat 6 at stafford?
You don't need to go into every platform or over every inch of track to either gain or retain route knowledge. With few exceptions, if you sign the station, you sign all of the station and all of the shunts around it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Also I imagine the reduction in service to Cannon St. meant it wasn't required either.
Most of the time, the exception is when RHTT's and anti icers were booked to reverse in Platform 2 and that was when using Platform 1 would have been useful.

Ken H

On Moderation
You don't need to go into every platform or over every inch of track to either gain or retain route knowledge. With few exceptions, if you sign the station, you sign all of the station and all of the shunts around it.
thanks

Veteran Member
Pre-pandemic it was used daily, there was always a 1715 ORP-CHX fast that ran from P1, among others
...and when I lived down south, long before Platforms 7-8 and the rebuilding of Chislehurst Junctions, it was the normal platform for Victoria trains.

Recessio

Platform 3 at Wellingborough id say rare, pot luck if a 360 gets diverted into it.
I havent used Wellingborough regularly since the 4th line reinstatement, I somehow figured it would be used more nowadays..

Back when it had only 3 platforms, it was very rare for anything to stop at Platform 3 except in engineering works/diversions.

Mind you, was pretty rare to see anything pass Platform 3 either.

redengine

Platform 0 at Cardiff Central. It can only fit four-carriage trains maximum (so no use for Londons, or even Portsmouths if GWR have uncharateristically not short-formed them). It's also outside the main barrier line – so the effect of a platform alteration from 1 or 2 to 0 is to send hordes of people through the subway, back out of the barrier line, across the concourse, and up a little staircase by M&S – this is generally considered something to be avoided.

najaB

Veteran Member
Platform 0 at Cardiff Central. It can only fit four-carriage trains maximum (so no use for Londons, or even Portsmouths if GWR have uncharateristically not short-formed them). It's also outside the main barrier line – so the effect of a platform alteration from 1 or 2 to 0 is to send hordes of people through the subway, back out of the barrier line, across the concourse, and up a little staircase by M&S – this is generally considered something to be avoided.
Isn't its main utility demonstrated when there are events on at that place just up the road from the station?

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Isn't its main utility demonstrated there are events on at that place just up the road from the station?
It's the usual and preferred platform for Ebbw Vale trains, which would be difficult to accommodate on platforms 1 and 2 amongst all the other Up Main line departures.

I can't comment on what happens after major events as I avoid Cardiff at those times!

liamf656

Crewe Platform 2 is only seldom used by the EMR/LMWR services towards Stoke

Lincoln only sees bay Platforms 1/2 used rarely for the very few services that arrive east and depart east (ie. to Peterborough), and I believe it has units stabled there overnight

Wellington (Shropshire) has a bay platform for trains from the east however every train runs through on platform 1/2, since the service to Walsall was withdrawn about 13 years ago

Nearby Wolverhampton sees rare use at Platform 6, and I believe is only used as a last resort

jumble

Any examples of platforms which do see some limited use but are clearly only used in the rare event of no other platform being available. Please explain (if known) the reason why the use of a specific platform or specific platforms at the identified location is/are kept to the minimum.
Does Wembley Park south bound platform 6 qualify ?
How about Neasden and Willesden Green ?
Do any of our resident controllers/signallers know how many trains are scheduled to stop at any of these

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Does Wembley Park south bound platform 6 qualify ?
How about Neasden and Willesden Green ?
Do any of our resident controllers/signallers know how many trains are scheduled to stop at any of these
Neasden and Willesden Met line platforms would in theory count - they have no booked calls but can be used in extremis with some mitigation. All are fitted with the requisite CSDE* and OPO** equipment, although Neasden platform 4/southbound can only be used in emergencies as there is no direct access to the platform from the ticket hall. Stops at these locations must be explicitly authorised by the Service Controller L2.

Wembley 6 has a number of trains booked to start service there as well as a few late-night tip outs. Whilst uncommon for trains on the Fasts to stop there, it can be used as necessary - generally only during disruption, however. Most of the time this will be managed locally by the Service Operators at Harrow and the Service Controller L1s at Baker Street.

CSDE = Correct Side Door Enable
OPO = One Person Operation

Shimbleshanks

The left-hand face of the down (Holyhead-bound) platform at Bangor was unnumbered but I do remember seeing a local train standing at it in the 1970s when services were disrupted. It probably would have been platform 4 in those days if it had had a number, if you see what I mean. Not sure what the situation at Bangor is these days or whether that face still exists or is accessible - haven't passed through there for several years.

Is the left face of the up platform at Stechford still there? Back in the 1980s, its only regular use was a once a day service from the Aston direction that didn't go via Birmingham New Street.

frediculous

I've never seen anything in Platform 2A at Milton Keynes Central, although that might change when East West rail opens

richard1976

The platform on the national rail line running through East Putney Tube Station

The two un numbered bay platforms at Wrexham General

The two platforms nearest the booking office at Hooton (platforms 1 & Un numbered ??)

The former Royal Mail platforms at Preston Station (is there two of them). I know they have been used for passengers when there was major engineering work taking place

Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
I went through New Malden on a train recently and I saw that while Platforms 2 and 3 on the fast line are clearly disused with lots of overgrown grass and a bordered up entrance, there were surprisingly two still working live departure display boards

richard1976

The second platform at Chessington South. Although I believe it has never had a passenger service call there since the station opened in 1939

MP393

Leamington Platform 1 currently has 2 departures a day. Although passenger trains can depart from it the only route in is a shunt move. Are there any others that can only be used for departures?

I’m sure one of the platforms can only be used for departures at Buxton, arrivals only via a shunt move. Platform 1 I believe.

I havent used Wellingborough regularly since the 4th line reinstatement, I somehow figured it would be used more nowadays..

Back when it had only 3 platforms, it was very rare for anything to stop at Platform 3 except in engineering works/diversions.

Mind you, was pretty rare to see anything pass Platform 3 either.
This weekend sees services terminate and start from platform 3!

richard1976

On Sheffield Supertram there is the three original platforms at Sheffield station, only used in the event on engineering works or other service disruption

Last edited:

leytongabriel

How about the suburban station platforms on the fast lines on the Great Eastern main line? They had a lick of paint and a few non-standard ( neither Greater Anglia nor TfL style ) station name signs put up when the TfL side platforms were revamped but do they get any regular use?

td97

Established Member
Platform 1 at Manchester Oxford Road is rarely used as it isn’t disability compliant.

Platform 1 at Manchester Oxford Road is very rarely used now, only when in need for regulation and I think a few Chat Moss Liverpool’s use it in an evening now to be overtaken. Another that that’s only accessible via the stairs too, and not by lift.

Platform 1 at Manchester Oxford Road (rarely used now, only used if there is a blockage on the Castlefield corridor and/or trains needing to terminate at Oxford Road in either direction).
1C57, the evening peak Manchester Airport to Barrow (calling at Wigan and Preston), is booked at and uses P1 daily.

Clearly not as rare as Bolton P2 which has no booked services but is sometimes used by failed 769s or weekend stabling of units. Pre-covid there was a daily am peak service to Manchester Victoria which originated there.

Kite159

Veteran Member
How about the suburban station platforms on the fast lines on the Great Eastern main line? They had a lick of paint and a few non-standard ( neither Greater Anglia nor TfL style ) station name signs put up when the TfL side platforms were revamped but do they get any regular use?

Like the fast line platforms on the WCML/MML station I guess they will see use during times of engineering works closing the slow lines. I.e. Sunday mornings if there is a 2 track timetable in operation.

I've never seen anything in Platform 2A at Milton Keynes Central, although that might change when East West rail opens

I believe that platform saw only a limited use back when the Southern services were operated by single 4 coach 377s before they increased in length (firstly to 5 coach units [the 377/7s] before pairs of 377/2s]

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I’m sure one of the platforms can only be used for departures at Buxton, arrivals only via a shunt move. Platform 1 I believe.
The other way round, trains can depart from either platform but can only arrive in platform 2, with a shunt required to reach platform 1.

Oban’s platform 4 sees little use, i assume because it’s the ‘loop’ platform. I have left from it before on a passenger service, the direct service to Edinburgh last year. Empty stock from railtours also sometimes 4 to clear platform 3 so an arrival from Glasgow can use it

Kite159

Veteran Member
Oban’s platform 4 sees little use, i assume because it’s the ‘loop’ platform. I have left from it before on a passenger service, the direct service to Edinburgh last year. Empty stock from railtours also sometimes 4 to clear platform 3 so an arrival from Glasgow can use it

Isn't that the one where passenger trains can arrive into but can't depart due to the signalling?

Isn't that the one where passenger trains can arrive into but can't depart due to the signalling?
I don’t know honestly, it might be the other way round? Because I’ve definitely departed from it before on a passenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.