• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

malc-c

For me, I would stick to the main format of a single podcast, but detail the signalling or track detection practices used in the day at the beginning part of the main podcast. In the last episode the subject matter jumped about a bit, somewhat spoiling the image that was forming in my mind.

Following the introduction to the event, then would be a good time to describe how the block sectioning, signalling and its operation, or any other practices worked, setting the scene for the main event with the description of the trains movements, impact, which was in excellent detail and there was little difference between pictures of the event and how it was described in the pod cast, and resulting aftermath. Then detail the rescue efforts, investigation, conclusions and any impact it had on change to practices or procedures to make sure things become safer. If this increased duration of the episode by 15 minutes I personally would prefer that rather than having to listen to a short 10 minute cast on AWS workings prior to the main episode.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AntoniC

Great Series !
I have listened to the first 3 episodes on Spotify and I am hooked !.
I love your voice and style of writing and the episodes I have listened are really interesting !.
More please !

TheEdge

Established Member
It's a brilliant series and I'm really enjoying it.

In regards the explanation podcasts or segments it a fine balance. TPWS and AWS are pretty simple concepts and even to a layman only need a few sentences to explain, so an episode on those alone would need bulking out. The other extreme (and the one that caused an issue this week) is stuff like absolute block signaling. AB is complex enough even to those of us with a working knowledge of the railway. To the layman its a mess so could easily fill an episode. But then it's a case of information overload. You need to strike a balance between those two.

For example for AB a decent on the fly explanation may have been "a single distant signal is linked to multiple stop signals. If a driver sees a distant signal at caution they are expected to stop at every related stop signal". It gets over the most important part of the system without pouring in buckets of extra information.

tpfx89

Thanks all for the feedback!

I've just uploaded my first attempt at a bonus episode. If you want feel free to let me know what you think. It's a swift little 10 minute jaunt into AWS.

Don't worry if you want your full episode fix, there's something meatier coming next week!

Thanks all,

Dan

randa2007

Dan Fox, TPE station manager for Hull and Humberside has started a new podcast series called ‘Signals to Danger’. A railway themed podcast looking at the worst and most significant railway disasters to the UK rail network.

Episode 1 has been released and focuses on Great Heck

Available on Spotify, Stitcher or Buzzsprout.

Twtter:
@SignalstoDanger
I binged the series so far, and its a great listen, highly recommended and you can understand where some of todays rules originated from.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just started listening to this as my commute soundtrack, really enjoying them so far, up to halfway through the Nuneaton one which I’d never even heard of, despite having driven through Nuneaton several times during my driving hours, none of my mentors mentioned it..

No constructive comments from me, I’m liking them just as they are!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Just to say, I think its great. I've listened to the first two episodes and am a fair way through the Nuneaton one having listened to it in the car on the way up to Dronfield this morning. Looking forward to the later editions, keep up the good work!

tpfx89

Evening all,

Just my bi-weekly message to let you know I've just clicked publish on Episode 3, taking us back to the 1991, and the collision with the buffers at Cannon Street Station.

Enjoy!

TheEdge

Established Member
@tpfx89 please take this purely as the constructive criticism it is because I really enjoy this podcast.

The Cannon Street episode was a weak one. I think it suffered right out of the gate that it was a very cut and dry incident. Driver was high, didn't use the brakes and hit the buffers in ancient stock, which makes it hard to make a really engaging episode out of. Yes it led to recommendations and legal ramifications for intoxication but Eltham Well Hall would make a far more interesting incident to frame that with. Things like ATP, TPWS, OTMR and rolling stock design can also be framed with more complex and therefore engaging incidents, like Southall or Polmont. Possibly a consideration for other episodes.

Also it reminded me that 1991 was 30 years ago and that means my 30th is rapidly approaching.

crablab

Just discovered this and listened to the Nuneaton episode - very interesting, thank you for doing this :)

Sadly Google Podcasts seems to be missing the first couple of episodes - so maybe something to look into?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
@Fokx I've just listened to the episode on Cannon Street and thoroughly enjoyed it as much as I have previous podcasts in the series. There is one thing I'd like to say: don't ever be ashamed of your accent. If you delivered the next episode with perfect Received Pronunciation, I probably wouldn't believe you!

Keep it up :)

tpfx89

Thanks all, sorry been a little inundated for a couple of days so not been on.

The Cannon Street episode was a weak one.

Hey that's fine, absolutely taken constructively, there are going to be some episodes that aren't to everyone's taste, and I think you made good points!

I've got some free time laid out next week for a nice long go at the next one.

Just discovered this and listened to the Nuneaton episode - very interesting, thank you for doing this :)

Sadly Google Podcasts seems to be missing the first couple of episodes - so maybe something to look into?

I'm not sure why this is, I've stumbled across it before with other podcasts. They got the RSS feed the same day as most of the other ones. Bit frustrating but I'm not sure what to do with it!

don't ever be ashamed of your accent.

I'm not really, it's my muddled up accent of many years living on both sides of the Pennines. I call it Generic Northernees.

One thing I would say, is that if anyone has any suggestions of accidents they might like to see I'd be willing to look at them. Might not get done straight away, still trying to work on pacing the "big" ones.

TheEdge

Established Member
One thing I would say, is that if anyone has any suggestions of accidents they might like to see I'd be willing to look at them. Might not get done straight away, still trying to work on pacing the "big" ones.

A few to consider if not already on the list. Eltham Hall Well is one just for how insane it is when viewed through modern eyes. Norton Fitzwarren (1940) and Ilford (1944) are two interesting similar incidents with misread signals and running reds. The Taunton fire in 1978 perhaps for rolling stock developments. Soham (1944) although that's possibly not in your remit as its less of a learning incident than just an impressive story.

tpfx89

I shall get to reading and seeing what could translate.

The cut and dry ones aren't an instant right off I suppose, there's a lot to be said for an impressive story like you say.

Thanks for those!

ac6000cw

Established Member
For me, the single-line collision at Abermule (1921) is a the perfect example of what can happen when people don't follow the rules properly and make assumptions about what other people have done, combined with being lulled into a false sense of security that safety equipment and systems will always prevent bad things from happening. It also has four characters involved in the drama, so it could work quite well as a podcast.

The Hawes Junction collision (1910) is a good illustration of why track circuits became such an important addition to signalling systems - Hawes Junction didn't have any and it really needed them given the workload on the signaller.

malc-c

@tpfx89 please take this purely as the constructive criticism it is because I really enjoy this podcast.

The Cannon Street episode was a weak one. I think it suffered right out of the gate that it was a very cut and dry incident. Driver was high, didn't use the brakes and hit the buffers in ancient stock, which makes it hard to make a really engaging episode out of.

Whilst I have to agree in part, in that this incident lacked the curiosity element that other episodes have, because as you say, it was a clear cut case of the driver being under the influence. But the production of the episode was excellent. It flowed without being disjointed to a degree that you lose the plot.

For me I am enjoying the series, and the accent etc takes nothing away from the production value, if anything it adds to it. Each episode comes over as a highly polished amature production which is fantastic. In my mind it conjures up an image of someone sitting at a desk in a spare room, with a PC / laptop, small 4 channel mixing desk, and a microphone on a small boom attached to the desk, rather than a full blown studio. But the production values are just as high, with music, an excellent introduction with the news reports and the odd atmospheric effect... I think you got it just right.

tpfx89

Hello all,

Just clicked publish (slightly late!) on episode six - Hatfield. Given the recent 20th Anniversary I couldn't really avoid it.

Opinions on sound quality etc appreciated, trialling a 7 day free trial of Adobe Addition and trying to understand whether it's worth 20 quid a month to keep using.

malc-c

IMO Adobe is overrated and costly. Depends on what you want to do, but Cyberlink Audio director is an easy to use alternative. I've used it in conjunction with their power director to sort out issues and mix tracks for videos. My version was bundled with the video software, but the standalone application is £79 https://www.cyberlink.com/store/audiodirector/buy_en_GB.html?affid=2581_1518_540 with a 30 day trial of the full application

What a fantastic podcast. Feedback as requested

1. I listen via headphones, and for me the into could do with having its level increase, it was rather low.
  2. Whilst the narration was consistent all the way through with no clear indication of different recording sessions, there was for me there was a noticeable echo, or reverb especially on the top end (when pronouncing T or S for example). It sounded as if you were further away from the microphone, or there was no sound deadening in the room. This was less noticeable through speakers
  3. The music level for the interlude at 28:30 was spot on. The interludes prior were too quiet
  4. Finally, your excellent summary in the closing stages, setting the somber thoughts for the loss of life was spoilt by the choice of outage music. At 58:21 you can clearly hear laughter at the start of the music where it changes from that used for the interlude. Again, this may only be noticeable through headphones.
Other than that, I really enjoyed that, and you brought back memories of the event as we lived close to the section of line when it happened at the time. From our location there was an unusual deep rumble and then all we could here moments later were lots and lots of sirens as emergency service vehicles constantly streamed past on their way to the scene.

Looking forward to the next one

Last edited:

tpfx89

Thanks as ever! The only issue is listening to it so much is that you miss things!
The track does have that at the end and I normally trim it off but forgot this time. Good catch!

I'll have a little run through tonight and tweak some levels here and there, replace the audio when I have.

I had you in mind when I was writing this one, remembered you said you were local at the time.

malc-c

I often feel bad when people ask for feedback and comments as often the ones reported tend to be negative, which I know can be hard to hear after you spend so much time and effort in making these pod casts. Some may say that the laughter is just being pedantic, but for me it was noticeable. Mind you if I typed up all the plus points I noted the post would be three screens long.... the points I listed were 1% - The other 99% is pure excellence - I really look forward every couple of weeks to each release.

ajs1981

I haven't listened to the latest one yet but my general overview is that I like the podcasts. The following is intended to help, not criticise:

I think, in general, the sound level balance, between voice and music, has improved since the first episode.
I use this rss feed https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1286207.rss. When the file downloads it is missing the .mp3 extension. This might cause some people to think it's an invalid file? I'm not sure if all Buzzsprout feeds do the same.

tpfx89

. When the file downloads it is missing the .mp3 extension. This might cause some people to think it's an invalid file? I'm not sure if all Buzzsprout feeds do the same.
I'm not sure, my hosting service BuzzSprout asks for a WAV format which it pushes out on the RSS feed.

bspahh

Established Member
I think, in general, the sound level balance, between voice and music, has improved since the first episode.
I use this rss feed https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1286207.rss. When the file downloads it is missing the .mp3 extension. This might cause some people to think it's an invalid file? I'm not sure if all Buzzsprout feeds do the same.

I use the same RSS feed, with the free Radio Downloader from https://nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/
It saved the latest episode to
Hatfield - October 2000 26-10-20.mp3

heedfan

Hello all,

Just clicked publish (slightly late!) on episode six - Hatfield. Given the recent 20th Anniversary I couldn't really avoid it.

Opinions on sound quality etc appreciated, trialling a 7 day free trial of Adobe Addition and trying to understand whether it's worth 20 quid a month to keep using.

Only half way through the latest one but something that pricked my ears...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, you describe some the factors of RAIB reports as being casual - they are in fact causal - as in they are a cause of the accident.

Enjoying the podcast and appreciate the improvements in sound quality and production. Keep up the great work!

tpfx89

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, you describe some the factors of RAIB reports as being casual - they are in fact causal - as in they are a cause of the accident
Palm to face moment.

When I've finished writing the scripts to these episodes they're normally between 7 and 8 thousand words...

I think there was a typo in their which I've blindly read out! It's a good catch, thank you!

tpfx89

Evening all,

it's that time again, this week's episode is now up, covering the derailment at Morpeth (1984). Sadly had a bit of choice around that one.

A few episodes were put on youtube a little while back and I will get round to putting more on there, they just had a *very* limited number of views.

In any case, enjoy!