• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening all,

it's that time again, this week's episode is now up, covering the derailment at Morpeth (1984). Sadly had a bit of choice around that one.

A few episodes were put on youtube a little while back and I will get round to putting more on there, they just had a *very* limited number of views.

In any case, enjoy!
The Hatfield one was really good Dan.
I actually caught a train from Kings Cross to Peterborough a couple of days after I listened to it (it’s years since I’ve been along there), and it really bought it all into my thoughts as we were going through those curves at speed.
That was just such a crazy time on the railway when they slapped all the speed restrictions everywhere after Hatfield and the true scale of the mismanagement became known.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tpfx89

Cheers guys I really appreciate.

Given the timing I felt like I really needed to give Hatfield a good go and do it justice. Not that I'm not trying to do that with all of them of course.

In any case, if you guys keep saying nice things I'll keep waffling into a microphone!

malc-c

What a great podcast. More structures in terms of setting the scene, prelude to the event, the event itself and the aftermath and consequences.... Loved it.

Still need to tweek the levels and the fading in and out of the music, which was a little high and abrupt at times, but then it somewhat adds to the character of the series. As does the occasional hiccup such as reading form the report. You could have done a retake to get it right, but didn't and included the stumble over pronouncing a word that you appear unsure of. It adds to the informal character and feeling of these podcasts.

Dan, you did yourself really proud on this one... keep it up and look forward to the next... which looking at the history for the curve could give you another three or more episodes !

bje3400

Many congratulations on your latest episode Dan, enjoying it very much as always, and thank you so much for the glowing review! Was very flattered and I'm very grateful for the shout out :D The quality is getting better each time, please do continue your work!

Wishing you all the best and excited to hear the next one!

tpfx89

You could have done a retake to get it right, but didn't
Hi Malc, thanks as ever! First few episodes I did that, stopping, deleting and going back and it was fairly tiresome, it also added a heck of a lot of time to recording and actually, when I listen back to it now, it seems a lot less organic.

Don't get me wrong, when I really mess it up I do that, but the last few episodes have been recorded in only about 4 different clips.

Also, bje3400 is Ben of the Steel Wheels podcast! I really would say go and have a listen, if you enjoy StD you'll like it.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Only half way through the latest one but something that pricked my ears...

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, you describe some the factors of RAIB reports as being casual - they are in fact causal - as in they are a cause of the accident.

Enjoying the podcast and appreciate the improvements in sound quality and production. Keep up the great work!
In fairness I had to read this 4 times until I even registered the difference between causal and casual so its easy done!

malc-c

Also, bje3400 is Ben of the Steel Wheels podcast! I really would say go and have a listen, if you enjoy StD you'll like it.

I'll check them out later.

Years back I picked up a 5 channel mixer when Maplins were folding, and set up a microphone with a view to podcasting and voice-overs on some videos... but then life dealt me a blow and my confidence was shattered and the equipment sat there gathering dust. I have plucked up courage to do the odd voice-over to one or two of my videos, but its easy to tell how nervous I was as it comes over in my speech...

I really like the way your podcasts are evolving... the production values are increasing, but you are still retaining that "guy in a bedroom studio" appeal. Its amazing to see just how things have moved on in home video and audio compared to what was available 30 years ago when I first got into video... back then cutting edge technology was a genlock so you could superimpose basic titles on video footage !

Looking forward to the next episode of signals to danger....

tpfx89

In fairness I had to read this 4 times until I even registered the difference between causal and casual so its easy done!
The script for Hatfield was about 7500 words long, so I just completely missed it! In any case I need to make the odd mistakes or you might make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about.

And Malc, messaged you separately, but you should certainly have a bash!

alxndr

Established Member
Another fantastic episode. I spent most of it absolutely stunned that someone would feel it was in any way acceptable to drink that amount of alcohol and then attempt to drive. And that no one was killed, especially having looked up some photographs.

AntoniC

Thanks for another superb podcast - another great listen !.

I look forward to your next one.

Regards

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Another fantastic episode. I spent most of it absolutely stunned that someone would feel it was in any way acceptable to drink that amount of alcohol and then attempt to drive. And that no one was killed, especially having looked up some photographs.

The railway has not always had the level of safety culture it now does - I've heard plenty of anecdotes of drunk driving from the 80s and earlier.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

What episode was that?

tpfx89

The railway has not always had the level of safety culture it now does - I've heard plenty of anecdotes of drunk driving from the 80s and earlier.
This is true, I've heard tales of pubs which used to form the overflows to messrooms and rumors of traincrew planners and station co-ordinators with the number for the phone behind the bar...

But on a less terrifying note, I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the podcast!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I read the report for this accident some time ago, and I was fairly appalled that someone could have so much alcohol to drink and then get behind the controls of a locomotive. Back then things were a bit different, though.

These days we think nothing of getting in a car and putting on a seat belt, for example; it's an automatic action, for me at least. For people of my grandfather's generation the compulsory wearing of seat-belts in 1983 was quite an alien concept. Also consider that it wasn't compulsory to fit rear seat-belts until 1986, and the wearing thereof until 1991.

To an extent, drink-driving (of cars) was tolerated. I've heard tales of people being stopped by the police on country roads and simply being advised to slow down a bit. I've driven along a few roads where there has been a pub at a crossroads in the middle of nowhere and wondered how on earth anyone would be able to get there and back without a car!

Attitudes towards driving under the influence have changed enormously over the years, and rightly so; where once it might have been acceptable to have a couple of jars before taking the controls, these days it's taboo (and that's the way it should be).

Anyhow, thanks for another great podcast :)

heedfan

Another great episode, thanks for all the work you are putting into these. You should be proud of the finished episodes as they are excellent.

A suggestion for a future episode perhaps: whilst thankfully not quite a disaster, the SPAD at Wootton Bassett in 2015 involving 'Tangmere' chills me to the bone whenever I think about it.

tpfx89

Another great episode, thanks for all the work you are putting into these. You should be proud of the finished episodes as they are excellent.

A suggestion for a future episode perhaps: whilst thankfully not quite a disaster, the SPAD at Wootton Bassett in 2015 involving 'Tangmere' chills me to the bone whenever I think about it.

More than happy to keep putting the work in! And in all honesty I'm really enjoying making them. Learning a lot myself and helping others understand our safety culture.

And the Tangmere near miss makes a lot of us feel that way! I'm considering a bit of a "special" episode where I take 3 or 4 near misses and unpick how close we came to accidents.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Many congratulations on your latest episode Dan, enjoying it very much as always, and thank you so much for the glowing review! Was very flattered and I'm very grateful for the shout out :D The quality is getting better each time, please do continue your work!

Wishing you all the best and excited to hear the next one!
So far I’ve only had a chance to listen to the episode on Norton Fitzwarren, but I’d also recommend that to other forum members, as along with Dans podcast it’s excellent.

TheEdge

Established Member
Both Morpeth and Norton Fitzwarren are brilliant episodes.

RE drinking and driving the report for Eltham Well Hall is shocking. The issue wasn't the driver and secondman had been drinking before and while on duty but more maybe the driver had had a little too much.

tpfx89

Evening all, time for my bi-weekly post!

I've just published episode 8 of the podcast, so that should be dropping into the varying directories as I type.

This week it's on the 1994 head-on collision between two Network SouthCentral trains at Cowden in Kent.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I’m really enjoying the latest Cowden episode.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Looking at your request for Greenock and you might struggle. Railways Archive reports no official railway report was created.

I found a Reddit thread of someone looking for the same information a few years ago as and tried to contact the Sheriffs office for court records. Appears that becuase the perpetrators were under 18 the court records are sealed.

tpfx89

Looking at your request for Greenock and you might struggle. Railways Archive reports no official railway report was created.
Railways Archive is my bread and butter, and given how well the website is maintained I know how thin my chances are when I can't find stuff on there.
If I can't cover that's just how it is but I though it would be worth asking about! Thanks for the info on court records though.

malc-c

Another interesting episode.... One thing that for me is becoming a little distracting is the increasing length of the "credits" and promotion of patrion etc at the start. Maybe these could be put at the end along with the existing credits for the music ? I also personally feel (and it's just my personal take on the whole like / subscribe / patreon / sponsor trend) that promoting paid for platforms detract away from the "doing it for fun" aspect, and can make the originator seem desperate for money. You see a lot of this on youtube these days as Google are cutting the margins, increasing the number of adverts, and decreasing watch time before adverts appear etc.... I'm not saying that you shouldn't make money from your efforts. If you can get some cash for doing something you enjoy producing then great....but it shouldn't spoil the focus of the content. - As I say, just my opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree, that's fine, we are all entitled to opinions.

tpfx89

Thanks as ever for the feedback, this last intro one was a long one I'll admit, but only a very small fraction of it was discussing Patreon, the bulk was far more relevant details. I'll try and trim the intros down in general going forwards.

I did just want to say, to put it in context I'm certainly not trying to make money off it, as it stands I've five patrons and I just fall short of making enough off that to cover the costs of hosting the podcast as I've only set up a 3 quid tier, it's literally a chance for people to help me out with those costs. When you add my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription and equipment in on top of that I'm certainly paying to make it, so I'd hope that shows that I'm doing it for the love of it.

Simple reason for putting it at the start and not the end is the increased likelihood that people will hear it!

Like you said, everyone is entitled to opinions though and I certainly don't mind you sharing yours!

AntoniC

Thanks for another excellent listen, it was superb (as usual).

The Patreon thing doesnt bother me, a lot of youtube sites I subscribe to have a Patreon option which I ignore.

Please keep up the good work !

tpfx89

Thanks very much! I shall start to pull together what I need to start the next one for you all!