• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry, what, do Patreons get a delay repay refund @tpfx89 ?

Excellent, I'll be waiting for my £1.50. ;)

You can have it as an RPV (Railway Podcast Voucher), redeemable against a single download of any of his podcasts on any of the usual platforms :D :D :D

Don't say that! I've got a couple of patrons now haha. As it stands it's currently uploading to my host so I think I've gotten away with it!

This week we're paying a visit to a Cumbrian field 13 years ago, it's covering Greyrigg.

Cheers. Taking the car for a service this morning, so that'll be good for the walk back! :)

tpfx89

Haha, Well at least it's up and running now!
@TheEdge - I can probably swing a voucher for a complementary hot drink on your next journey!

Inversnecky

Was there an issue with Apple podcasts today? I was looking forward to listening while baking this afternoon, but my phone said the podcasts were "temporarily unavailable"? Thankfully, I was wble to listen through YT.

tpfx89

Was there an issue with Apple podcasts today? I was looking forward to listening while baking this afternoon, but my phone said the podcasts were "temporarily unavailable"? Thankfully, I was wble to listen through YT.
Not as far as I'm aware, but I had a brief issue logging into my hosting service so maybe linked? Glad you got it though!

Update: It appears that Buzzsprout got DDoS'd today so that would explain your issue, hopefully done and dusted now though.

Evening all, just wanted to alleviate any concerns after last time!

Episode 15 was uploaded to the host last night with plenty of time and will become available from midnight tonight.

On the 20th anniversary of Great Heck I've decided to cover another Yorkshire disaster, in fact another caused by the incursion of a vehicle, Lockington in 1986.

Last edited:

Inversnecky

Look forward to hearing it. I've just finished Hatfield, so have a bit of catching up to do!

I didn't follow the details of these various events at the time, and am learning the causes for the first time.

(Also inevitably shorter, I didn't think there was any issue with Cannon St at all - it was very interesting and informative.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well I hope it was enjoyed, well in so far as you can enjoy this subject matter.

Not listened to it yet but I will be going for a walk in half an hour or so and will listen then. Cheers :)

Edit: thanks again, well worth a listen. I particularly liked the use of music in this one.

Last edited:

malc-c

What an excellent podcast. I opted to listen via YouTube and have subbed to remind me when any content comes out rather than just the podcasts - The short updates and fillers just add to the interest. I must say the production quality of the latest episode is very polished and of a high standard, with the music adding to the mood of the scene you are describing. What made this episode special and one to stand out from the rest is the connection to the individuals on the train, some of which lost their lives. The description you gave, the purpose for their journey and the way events unfolded drew me in to the drama...Just brilliant.

If I was to comment on one thing that I find distracting is the constant shout out to patreon members, etc at the beginning which for me would be better off at the end of the podcast rather than the beginning... OK you can skip through them, but the first five minutes of the last episode came over to me as a sales pitch to promote patreon, merchandise and other media. I understand why people use platforms for raising funds, and if it's something that is needed at the start then possibly reduce it to just a minute or two... I still give the post cast 10/10 though ;)

I also noted one of the comments was to include images from news reports etc in the Youtube version... but for me it then becomes a video and not a podcast, and takes more work.. I like the format, and I'm sure anyone wanting to see such images can google the subject of each episodes....

tpfx89

What an excellent podcast. I opted to listen via YouTube and have subbed to remind me when any content comes out rather than just the podcasts - The short updates and fillers just add to the interest. I must say the production quality of the latest episode is very polished and of a high standard, with the music adding to the mood of the scene you are describing. What made this episode special and one to stand out from the rest is the connection to the individuals on the train, some of which lost their lives. The description you gave, the purpose for their journey and the way events unfolded drew me in to the drama...Just brilliant.

If I was to comment on one thing that I find distracting is the constant shout out to patreon members, etc at the beginning which for me would be better off at the end of the podcast rather than the beginning... OK you can skip through them, but the first five minutes of the last episode came over to me as a sales pitch to promote patreon, merchandise and other media. I understand why people use platforms for raising funds, and if it's something that is needed at the start then possibly reduce it to just a minute or two... I still give the post cast 10/10 though ;)

I also noted one of the comments was to include images from news reports etc in the Youtube version... but for me it then becomes a video and not a podcast, and takes more work.. I like the format, and I'm sure anyone wanting to see such images can google the subject of each episodes....
Thanks Malc, As ever I appreciate the feedback. Just to gently challenge back though you have raised this once previously. The entirety of the intro, with the welcome, Patreon pitch, update about the youtube channel and letting people know there was some more content available was only 2 minutes and 6 seconds long, and that's including a plug for another podcast which is just starting out. I don't particularly think that it's unreasonable considering there is another 57 and a half minutes of the episode afterward, and especially considering your advice to keep it to a minute or two.

People are more than welcome to skip it and I'm sure people do, and I know I'm never going to make megabucks doing this but if people want to kick in funds so that I can buy a better microphone, or take the weight off hosting and software then I'm glad of it. If I put that at the end then it will probably get missed, and I think that's evidenced by the fact that I tend to do a callback to it in the credits/outro and you haven't seemed to have noticed.

As ever please feel free to come back with feedback in the future and I'm glad you're still enjoying the podcast!

malc-c

Thanks Malc, As ever I appreciate the feedback. Just to gently challenge back though you have raised this once previously. The entirety of the intro, with the welcome, Patreon pitch, update about the youtube channel and letting people know there was some more content available was only 2 minutes and 6 seconds long, and that's including a plug for another podcast which is just starting out. I don't particularly think that it's unreasonable considering there is another 57 and a half minutes of the episode afterward, and especially considering your advice to keep it to a minute or two.

People are more than welcome to skip it and I'm sure people do, and I know I'm never going to make megabucks doing this but if people want to kick in funds so that I can buy a better microphone, or take the weight off hosting and software then I'm glad of it. If I put that at the end then it will probably get missed, and I think that's evidenced by the fact that I tend to do a callback to it in the credits/outro and you haven't seemed to have noticed.

As ever please feel free to come back with feedback in the future and I'm glad you're still enjoying the podcast!

Well I've just listened again and whilst the intro does indeed start after two minutes, it then continues to promote the book for a few more minutes before getting back to the actual events. So I think we will just have to agree to disagree. And as you say, people are free to skip forward if they wish.

I wish I was in a financial position to support you, but sadly I'm not. As I said, the production value is increasing and you have a good storytelling voice... IMO this last episode was your best one yet, and I really look forward every fortnight to see what the next episode covers...

Inversnecky

Interesting that all the investigators mentioned so far in the podcast seem to be a major this or lieutenant colonel that. Did the rail accident investigation units have a policy or preference for appointing ex military only to these roles?

D6130

Established Member
Interesting that all the investigators mentioned so far in the podcast seem to be a major this or lieutenant colonel that. Did the rail accident investigation units have a policy or preference for appointing ex military only to these roles?
Yes, from the earliest days of railways, accidents have been investigated by serving or retired officers from the Railway Operating Divison of the Royal Engineers (now Royal Corps of Transport) on behalf of the Board of Trade and later the Ministry of Transport. Nowadays, accidents are investigated by the Rail Accident Investigatation Branch, which has a staff of full-time professional accident investigators under the leadership of Simon French, the Government's Chief Inspector of Railways. If you are interested in reading accident reports, they can be obtained from the gov.uk website and you can set up a mobile alert so that you will be automatically notified when a new report or statistical analysis is published.

tpfx89

they can be obtained from the gov.uk website and you can set up a mobile alert so that you will be automatically notified when a new report or statistical analysis is published.
And of course I think everyone is already pretty certain I have this feature set up!

tpfx89

Eagerly awaiting the RAIB report to see whether it's on the cards, little ways off yet mind.

tpfx89

Hi malc,

The youtube uploads will often come a day or so later, I need to create that video in addition to the podcast. Should be doing it tonight though. The podcast hosts will always drop in as soon as I've uploaded to the host though.

malc-c

Dan, another excellent episode - Really enjoyed it, intro nice and short ;) and the program very well put together. - Thanks for the hard work you put into this.

As a side note, a few years back I was at Welwyn North Station on the ECML at 2am to video one of the old Eurostars being scrapped. I was alone other than a guy operating the taxi radio who came over and had a chat. He asked if I had seen "the ghost" near the tunnels? I asked him to elaborate, thinking it was just a rise to scare me, and he said that the tunnels are claimed to be haunted after a crash over a century ago, and the ghost is that of the guard who died at the scene. Anyway he went back to his office, and left me in a state of unease.... Practically all alone on a platform at 2am on a dank winters night and now spooked by a ghost story....

Anyway I did some research and it seems related to this incident Three Freight Trains Crash - A coal train broke down in one of the tunnels, the guard failed to protect the rear of the train, and due to a misunderstanding between the boxes at Welwyn and Knebworth, a second freight train was allowed to proceed and ran into the back of the broken down train, killing the guard and seriously injured a "passenger" in the guards van who shouldn't have been there either, and who died the following day. A third freight train heading south then ploughed into the wreckage of the other two, catching fire and blocking the lines for two days whilst the fire raged. Seems a team of 450 navvies, along with two cranes were needed to clear the tunnel of debris.

Seems the ghost is that of the guard Joseph Ray, and its claimed he is trying to make amends for his actions and protect oncoming trains and warn them of the danger.... How real this is who knows. I certainly didn't hang around to find out once the Eurostar had been dragged through !

tpfx89

I love stories like that, I'm sure that there's plenty up and down the country, having done my fair share of night shifts at dark, empty stations with adjacent tunnel mouths I can certainly appreciate how a chill can start to creep up your spine.

I do wonder whether theres a spin off in there somewhere telling those stories...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That was a great episode Dan, I was lost in the time of it happening for a while there as you’d created a lot of atmosphere as always.
I’ve always been interested in the River class because we had a couple of U classes up at the Mid Hants (the class that the River’s were rebuilt into). I learnt about the crash a long time ago from some people I knew up there.

tpfx89

Glad you enjoyed it, there was a moment writing it where I thought I might have lost my way a little! Not sure why!

bearhugger

Hi @tpfx89, another top notch episode. A few things learned for me listening to this episode. I now know why a tank engine is named a tank engine, and the issue of the water sluicing around during movement of the loco is an issue also for HGVs that carry liquids. The ghost story at the end was also an intriguing addition. Thanks again Dan and like others have said above, I wish I was in a position to do the Patreon thing, but maybe one day.